49ers vs Seahawks Game Analysis and our Offensive woes

Tokadub

Reaction score
What a disappointing loss, I feel we should have easily won but lost again thanks to Bevell not adjusting the game plan. Here are some stats and things I noticed about this game that really stand out to me.

1) We averaged 7.97 yards per pass attempt and 13.3 yards per completion.

We averaged 3.7 yards per run.

With over twice as many yards per pass play than run plays you would think any intelligent and adaptive offensive coordinator would start favoring a bit more passing?

Not Bevell... we had 25 pass attempts and 23 runs. One of our passes was a hail mary when we had already lost the game. So really Bevell called an almost exact 50/50 split with pass/rushing.

I really think he came into this game determined to go 50/50 with the pass and run. He didn't adjust his game plan even though it was obvious our run was failing today. I already knew in the first quarter that it looked like we were running too much and I even typed it in the chat room if anyone was there.

I think this kind of stubborn play calling from Bevell is a big weakness for our team, he does not adapt his game plan and seems determined to continue failing ones.

2) Similar to not adapting his play calling very well, it appears Bevell comes into games with terrible game plans. We yet again failed to score in the first quarter.

I know we had a good first quarter last week vs. the Saints. But last time I checked a few games ago we were averaging about 3 points per game in 1st and 7 in every other quarter.

These kinds of slow starts are unacceptable, we almost lost a few games this year because of it. And we lost to Atlanta last year because we were down 20 points after the first half.

I'm almost positive that it was our extremely predictable, and excessive run play calling that cost us both the Atlanta game and this one. Once they let Russel lose in the 2nd half vs. Atlanta we ripped them up for 28 points.

My whole point here is Bevell needs to recognize when our run isn't working and call more pass plays. There is no reason why Kaepernick had 29 passes in this game and Russel had only 25 when Russel is a far superior QB. You let Wilson open up and throw the ball just a little bit more and we would have destroyed the 49ers today.

3) We had 1 rushing 1st down today... we had 11 pass first downs.

When you have Lynch and Wilson there's really no excuse for 1 rushing 1st down. Our play calling was atrocious and never put us into 2nd and short or 3rd and short situations which would be ideal for running.

4) Wilson was sacked on 3rd down 3 times in the first quarter, one of which we had a 5 yard penalty so it won't show up on stats. Still put us in in a 3rd and 12 situation...

We can't let Wilson get sacked so much in a single quarter obviously.

5) Seattle had 11 yards in first quarter. More proof our offense is terrible in first quarter and Bevell struggles to come up with good game plans leading up to the game. We can't afford such slow starts in the playoffs we could very easily lose when we do this.

6) As I've said our running game is way too predictable, any good defense shuts it down unless we mix it up intelligently.

We ran it too many times in general. We also ran it on 1st down WAY too much.

On the 4 drives where we ran the ball on both 1st and 2nd downs here are our results:

- 3 punts
- 1 FG

Running on 1st and 2nd downs accounted for 3 of our 6 punts, one of which was blocked and probably cost us the game.

Running it on 1st and 2nd down was a terrible game plan and super predictible. It was pretty obvious from the start of this game to me, and our 11 pass first downs to 1 rushing first downs supports this claim.

We need to do short pass plays to our tight ends or screens to Tate on the edge so we can put ourselves in 2nd and 2-3 yard situations. These 3rd and long situations are KILLING US.

7) We only had 1 FG the entire game!

Hauschka is 2nd in the league in scoring averaging almost 10 per game. If we can't even get this guy a chance at field goals you know our offensive play calling was terrible.

8) Russel Wilson has the highest yards per carry in the ENTIRE NFL @ 5.7!

He only had 1 run today for 2 yards and it was clearly not a designed run play. Why did we not utilize his running abilities a little more. If we lose by 1 point little things like that can make the difference...

I understand protecting him so he won't get injured but in a game like this we could have really used an extra first down or two.

9) I love Lynch, but out of the top 5 rushers in the league in total yards, he has the lowest yards per carry. He is 19th in the league in yards per carry according to ESPN.

So it's not like he is truly an unstoppable force that we need to rely upon EVERY game. We should be using him when it works and if it's not working like today then we should mix it up more.

Lynch would have a lot more yards per carry if our play calling wasn't so predictible and if we had better blocking. I'm not trying to downplay how amazing Lynch is. I'm simply saying that we aren't using him to his full potential at times due to predictable and stubborn play calling.

How many times this season have we been left scratching our heads about why won't they let him run on critical plays! And then days like today they use him incorrectly. It's like the offensive play calling is completely reversed from what it should be.

Bevell really just can't seem to get it right consistently. When we look good it's because we REALLY ARE THAT GOOD, but we saw today what happens with this play calling against a legit defense. I am VERY worried about this offensive play calling in the play offs. We need to let Russell fly, stop restricting him with bad game plans that aren't working.

10) Russel Wilson is ranked 17th in total yards that's pretty bad when you consider his other stats...

- #3 yards per attempt
- #7 completion percentage
- #6 tied touchdowns (everyone tied or above him HAVE BETWEEN 120-200 MORE PASS ATTEMPTS THAN WILSON!)
- Very respectable interception rate especially since some of his interceptions come in desperation hail marys like today.
- #3 Passer Rating only Petyon Manning and Nick Foles are higher.

Conclusion: We need to get our act together with our offensive play calling. I'm not saying we should abandon the run but statistically our passing offense is just as potent or even better.

I know the run helps to set up the pass, and give our defense time to rest. But I'm so sick of us relying on it 100% like today and most the other games we've lost recently.

We play as if we have Tim Tebow for QB, like we have to rely on the run or we have nothing. That's just simply not the case.

I love the idea of a balanced run/pass offense. But Bevell needs to be able to recognize when it's not working and stop trying to force it.

Wilson needs to have more control of the game PERIOD! When we run it 23 times today for 1 first down, you are obviously failing to utilize his talents. I'm so sick of giving Wilson 1 chance to pass per drive on days when our run isn't working. We had so many failed drives today where we ran it at least 2 times then punted.

I thought I saw some signs recently of Bevell starting to improve his play calling being more unpredictable and really using Lynch correctly. But then he lays a stinker like today, and I really don't think this guy understands how to win when it counts. If we win the superbowl it will be entirely the talent of our team, Bevell simply just doesn't have the right play calling instincts and game plans. He has good plays, but he doesn't know how to use them correctly.

Like others in the chat were saying today we didn't take any shots down the field today, never gave Tate, Kearse, or Bouldin a chance to win the game for us. We never gave Russel a chance to win the game for us.

I really hope Carrol see's what I'm seeing and has a long talk with Bevell. I'm not saying Bevell is completely worthless, but if he doesn't reach his full potential and can't understand how to call the proper plays consistently we are in big trouble in our Super Bowl hunt.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Remember when we are 11-2 and have the second highest scoring offense in the nfl? Oh and two potential MVP candidates on that side of the ball. Not only that, most advanced stats have us near the top of the nfl as well.

Offensive woes? I disagree strongly.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I do think we should of passed a little more today. I think thats a fair point and probably true.

seabowl

Reaction score
One thing I do agree with is letting Russell run more out of the read option. Dude can move and this keeps D off balance.

plyka

Reaction score
Tokadub":12yqc79l said:
What a disappointing loss, I feel we should have easily won but lost again thanks to Bevell not adjusting the game plan. Here are some stats and things I noticed about this game that really stand out to me.

1) We averaged 7.97 yards per pass attempt and 13.3 yards per completion.

We averaged 3.7 yards per run.

With over twice as many yards per pass play than run plays you would think any intelligent and adaptive offensive coordinator would start favoring a bit more passing?

Not Bevell... we had 25 pass attempts and 23 runs. One of our passes was a hail mary when we had already lost the game. So really Bevell called an almost exact 50/50 split with pass/rushing.

I really think he came into this game determined to go 50/50 with the pass and run. He didn't adjust his game plan even though it was obvious our run was failing today. I already knew in the first quarter that it looked like we were running too much and I even typed it in the chat room if anyone was there.

I think this kind of stubborn play calling from Bevell is a big weakness for our team, he does not adapt his game plan and seems determined to continue failing ones.

2) Similar to not adapting his play calling very well, it appears Bevell comes into games with terrible game plans. We yet again failed to score in the first quarter.

I know we had a good first quarter last week vs. the Saints. But last time I checked a few games ago we were averaging about 3 points per game in 1st and 7 in every other quarter.

These kinds of slow starts are unacceptable, we almost lost a few games this year because of it. And we lost to Atlanta last year because we were down 20 points after the first half.

I'm almost positive that it was our extremely predictable, and excessive run play calling that cost us both the Atlanta game and this one. Once they let Russel lose in the 2nd half vs. Atlanta we ripped them up for 28 points.

My whole point here is Bevell needs to recognize when our run isn't working and call more pass plays. There is no reason why Kaepernick had 29 passes in this game and Russel had only 25 when Russel is a far superior QB. You let Wilson open up and throw the ball just a little bit more and we would have destroyed the 49ers today.

3) We had 1 rushing 1st down today... we had 11 pass first downs.

When you have Lynch and Wilson there's really no excuse for 1 rushing 1st down. Our play calling was atrocious and never put us into 2nd and short or 3rd and short situations which would be ideal for running.

4) Wilson was sacked on 3rd down 3 times in the first quarter, one of which we had a 5 yard penalty so it won't show up on stats. Still put us in in a 3rd and 12 situation...

We can't let Wilson get sacked so much in a single quarter obviously.

5) Seattle had 11 yards in first quarter. More proof our offense is terrible in first quarter and Bevell struggles to come up with good game plans leading up to the game. We can't afford such slow starts in the playoffs we could very easily lose when we do this.

6) As I've said our running game is way too predictable, any good defense shuts it down unless we mix it up intelligently.

We ran it too many times in general. We also ran it on 1st down WAY too much.

On the 4 drives where we ran the ball on both 1st and 2nd downs here are our results:

- 3 punts
- 1 FG

Running on 1st and 2nd downs accounted for 3 of our 6 punts, one of which was blocked and probably cost us the game.

Running it on 1st and 2nd down was a terrible game plan and super predictible. It was pretty obvious from the start of this game to me, and our 11 pass first downs to 1 rushing first downs supports this claim.

We need to do short pass plays to our tight ends or screens to Tate on the edge so we can put ourselves in 2nd and 2-3 yard situations. These 3rd and long situations are KILLING US.

7) We only had 1 FG the entire game!

Hauschka is 2nd in the league in scoring averaging almost 10 per game. If we can't even get this guy a chance at field goals you know our offensive play calling was terrible.

8) Russel Wilson has the highest yards per carry in the ENTIRE NFL @ 5.7!

He only had 1 run today for 2 yards and it was clearly not a designed run play. Why did we not utilize his running abilities a little more. If we lose by 1 point little things like that can make the difference...

I understand protecting him so he won't get injured but in a game like this we could have really used an extra first down or two.

9) I love Lynch, but out of the top 5 rushers in the league in total yards, he has the lowest yards per carry. He is 19th in the league in yards per carry according to ESPN.

So it's not like he is truly an unstoppable force that we need to rely upon EVERY game. We should be using him when it works and if it's not working like today then we should mix it up more.

Lynch would have a lot more yards per carry if our play calling wasn't so predictible and if we had better blocking. I'm not trying to downplay how amazing Lynch is. I'm simply saying that we aren't using him to his full potential at times due to predictable and stubborn play calling.

How many times this season have we been left scratching our heads about why won't they let him run on critical plays! And then days like today they use him incorrectly. It's like the offensive play calling is completely reversed from what it should be.

Bevell really just can't seem to get it right consistently. When we look good it's because we REALLY ARE THAT GOOD, but we saw today what happens with this play calling against a legit defense. I am VERY worried about this offensive play calling in the play offs. We need to let Russell fly, stop restricting him with bad game plans that aren't working.

10) Russel Wilson is ranked 17th in total yards that's pretty bad when you consider his other stats...

- #3 yards per attempt
- #6 tied touchdowns (everyone tied or above him HAVE BETWEEN 120-200 MORE PASS ATTEMPTS THAN WILSON!)
- Very respectable interception rate especially since some of his interceptions come in desperation hail marys like today.
- #3 Passer Rating only Petyon Manning and Nick Foles are higher.

Conclusion: We need to get our act together with our offensive play calling. I'm not saying we should abandon the run but statistically our passing offense is just as potent or even better.

I know the run helps to set up the pass, and give our defense time to rest. But I'm so sick of us relying on it 100% like today and most the other games we've lost recently.

We play as if we have Tim Tebow for QB, like we have to rely on the run or we have nothing. That's just simply not the case.

I love the idea of a balanced run/pass offense. But Bevell needs to be able to recognize when it's not working and stop trying to force it.

Wilson needs to have more control of the game PERIOD! When we run it 23 times today for 1 first down, you are obviously failing to utilize his talents. I'm so sick of giving Wilson 1 chance to pass per drive on days when our run isn't working. We had so many failed drives today where we ran it at least 2 times then punted.

I thought I saw some signs recently of Bevell starting to improve his play calling being more unpredictable and really using Lynch correctly. But then he lays a stinker like today, and I really don't think this guy understands how to win when it counts. If we win the superbowl it will be entirely the talent of our team, Bevell simply just doesn't have the right play calling instincts and game plans. He has good plays, but he doesn't know how to use them correctly.

Like others in the chat were saying today we didn't take any shots down the field today, never gave Tate, Kearse, or Bouldin a chance to win the game for us. We never gave Russel a chance to win the game for us.

I really hope Carrol see's what I'm seeing and has a long talk with Bevell. I'm not saying Bevell is completely worthless, but if he doesn't reach his full potential and can't understand how to call the proper plays consistently we are in big trouble in our Super Bowl hunt.

Your point number 10 is your best, because I never thought of it in this respect. Wilson is 17 th in total yards, this is a horrible Stat when you consider the rest

- #3 yards per attempt
- #3 Passer Rating only Petyon Manning and Nick Foles are higher

The total yards Stat is much worse when you consider that Wilson has played in every game, how many other QBs have played every game? The other stats are averages so playing every game does not have a negative effect.

What does this say? Wilson is being severely under utilized.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Anything specific that you disagree about? Or just hard to think of the team you love so critically. Pretty much every single one of my points is based on statistics so I'm really curious what you disagree about.

We do have some flaws, I think this post outlines them quite clearly.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
This is not a doomsday thread guys! I'm just saying we could be even better.

I think Bevell needs to call good plays more consistently! We know he has them, he just needs to call them at the right times. I just know we have the talent to win the Super Bowl and in my opinion if we lose, it will most likely be due to poor offensive play calling like our loss today.

mistaowen

Reaction score
I wouldn't say we have an issue on offense by any means but that when we play good defenses we seem to play not to lose rather than taking it to them. Against the Panthers, Rams, and 49ers today the game plan was very vanilla compared to last week against statistically a good but overrated defense where we were consistently taking big shots down field.

hawk45

Reaction score
I was okay with sticking to the run in the first half, but at some point it became clear that the run wasn't working. We never adjusted to that fact. I feel like that is a legit gripe. The Niners are built to stop the run more than we are, so I would hope that we would be prepared to switch gears and go after their inferior (to our) secondary if it looks necessary.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm inclined to give the 49er defense a little credit. Especially the run defense.

hawk45

Reaction score
Jville":2ppwf5dw said:
I'm inclined to give the 49er defense a little credit. Especially the run defense.

Definitely, their run defense was awesome today.

So you don't have any thoughts that adjusting and throwing more passes in the second half made sense or was at least worth a try? That a 50/50 split may not be best plan to continue with given the great Niner run D today? That's the part where I definitely agree with OP.

Greenhell

Reaction score
In short...the play calling sucked today. Vanilla is the perfect word for today.

CEHawk

Reaction score
I agree with the majority of the post. Bevel can write up some amazing plays but it is almost as though the first half are all scripted plays. Bevell fails to adjust quickly to the defensive schemes and I think that is his biggest downfall. I am not sure if any of you watched last weeks Patriot game, but they not only adjusted their game plan, they started making major adjustments before halftime. It was noticeable and completely changed the game. I think Pete Carroll needs to step in on this more often, every once in a while he tells Bevel to lay off the running plays, they aren't working!

hawker84

Reaction score
stopped reading at offensive woes.

we made enough plays to win the game, we also made just enough bonehead penalties and missed blocks on the punt to lose the game. other than that i think the team played fairly well in a hostile environment against a top 5 team in the NFL, i'll take the 2 point loss and move on thank you...

Mick063

Reaction score
Screw the offensive woe talk:

!) San Francisco played inspired defense.

2) Some of Russell's best plays were called back due to penalty. As Russ puts it, the team did not "stay on schedule" because they were constantly digging out of a hole due to penalty.

They would have scored a touchdown on the drive that Tate was called for offensive PI....something Boldin was doing on many plays. Seattle cruises to a win if they cut the penalties in half.

Give the defense some credit for losing this. After using up two time outs to preserve three minutes of time, they allowed Kaep to sweep for a first down on third and eight.......allowing those timeouts to be spent for nothing.

djb28

Reaction score
These are the kind of games I expect when we play the Niners,Rams and Cards. We know each other so well. Sure once in awhile there is a blow out. But in general most division rival games are much like this. I did hate the calls today though.

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
So I just looked up what happened in our playoff loss against Atlanta last season. I made quite a few comparisons between that game and this one in my posts so I wanted to verify if my memory is correct here. Indeed the stats for that game kind of follow the trend of my original post.

Here's the link for that game info, I think my analysis is pretty accurate here with this stat break down, but there could be some minor errors as I tried to gather this info quickly.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameI ... 1&period=2

- 24 pass plays vs 28 run plays.

- 19 passing first downs 9 rushing first downs

Once again we see the trend of running too much when it's not nearly as effective.

- 368 passing yards, 123 rushing yards.

-10.69 yards per pass attempt, 16 yards per completion

-4.4 yards per rush attempt

- Lynch averaged 2.9 yards per run (1 fumble)
- Turbin averaged 4.5 yards per run for grand total of 18 yards
- Wilson averaged 8.6 yards per run and led the team in total rushing yards.

Wilson had 4 of the 9 rushing first downs, 1 of the 2 touchdowns, and by far the best yards per carry that game.

Lynch had 16 carries and averaged 2.9 yards! This is a great example of Bevell failing to adjust his game plan. Running the ball with Lynch so many times that game when it CLEARLY wasn't working probably lost us that game.

Reminds me of today, Lynch ran the ball 20 times and we only had 1 rushing first down!

In both these important games we would of been better off letting Wilson make at least a few more plays. As I said before, Wilson didn't have even 1 designed run play today, and we all know how effective he is with those. In fact mixing Russel into the run game generally improves Lynch's production.

We have the potential to be very hard to defend with unpredictable plays, we didn't see any of that today.

My whole point here is illustrating that Bevell fails to recognize when things aren't working. In the Atlanta game Russell played unbelievably well and Lynch had probably one of his worst games of his career, yet we still ran it more than passing... I just don't get it.

In both games we did not have good offensive play calling, we were put in an impossible situation in the end of these games. Both of them ended with Russel Wilson interceptions as the final play...

We can't let ourselves get in such terrible situations, as soon as we run into problems our play calling needs to adjust!

CortezKennedyfan

Reaction score
Remember....

The 49ers have a very good Defense:

NFL YPG
1. Seattle Seahawks 287.1
2. Carolina Panthers 289.8
3. Houston Texans 302.2
4. San Francisco 49ers 308.0

Passing YPG
1. Seattle Seahawks 175.6
2. Houston Texans 183.6
3. San Francisco 49ers 204.0

And they are one spot behind the Hawks in total sacks.

This was a good defense and the Hawks' took dumb penalties.

Latest posts