Jonathan Martin available? (Dolphins Tackle)

jblaze

Reaction score
He left the team because he's being bullied, wtf, but perhaps he's available for a 7th? He was a 2nd round pick in 2012 out of Stanford so Sherman may know a little about him.

I know we're getting our guys back in a couple of weeks and there's a learning curve with every team change but arguably the O line is one of the easier concepts to pick up quickly and he is from Stanford so I assume he's relatively intelligent. At this point we're putting non-tackles in our tackle spots and our backups are rookies who are looking ill-equipped at this point.

He could play for a week or two then backup our tackles and be more position appropriate?

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Except for the part about being past the trade deadline, great idea.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Even if the Dolphins released him for some reason, he'd never make it to us in waivers.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Damn, not sure how I forgot the trade deadline passed....

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Your kidding right? Why in the hell would we want a touchy feely player who lives on his feelings. We have a tough team not a pansy team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
volsunghawk":xpfoayn4 said:
Sarlacc83":xpfoayn4 said:
Hmm, this is fantastic. Mentally weak players do well in this system.

Agreed. We should trade for Matt Schaub, too.

Also see if Ricky Williams wants to come out of retirement.

Omahawk

Reaction score
Martin is a good football player. I will not get involved in any jokes being made about him or his personal situation. But on a related matter, did you guys hear about the joke that Tannehill told to his receivers? They didn't get it. It went over their heads.

lukerguy

Reaction score
bestfightstory":23dmtlfm said:
Except for the part about being past the trade deadline, great idea.

Lol. My thoughts, exactly.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
He ran home to mommy after getting picked on by teammates...no thanks.

If it's a mental issue that needs to be worked out, good luck to him.

Don't need another Belcher-esque situation all over again.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It doesn't sound like he was mentally weak. "Ran home to mommy"? Really?

You have very little information and are making a judgement. Neither of us knows, but it sounds it sounds like he was being made a target by half the offensive line. Getting nicknames like Big Weirdo isn't always taken the positive way.

You can be pretty tough but when you are made a target by a group over a period of time, it can wear on you. You never know until you are in it.

Tell you a story, when I was 18, as the first son I was told I had to join the military. Family honor thing and all that. So I did before college and I ended up going to basic. Back then I was tiny, and made a target early once I joined. I was hounded relentlessly and it wasn't that I wasn't pulling my weight. I had the best PT scores, the best shooting scores, and got everything done. But I was constantly a target. Finally, I had enough and pulled everyone targeting me into a room. I pointed out that I was the best shot in the group and that next time when we went to the firing range when they gave me a clip with live ammunition I was betting I could put the clip in and empty it into them before any of the other people there could stop me. I mentioned the moment you walk with live ammo to your firing position. One guy said "You do that and you will go to jail!" and I said "Yep, but you will either be dead or never walk again" and I was serious. Never had another problem the entire time I was in, though some of the guys were a bit scared of me after. I got my security clearance, did my time, went to UW and never had any problems after either.

I've had guns pulled on me in HS and at parties and never flinched, but in that situation after several weeks I damn near lost it. You can be mentally tough and still be worn down by constant assault.

The point is that sometimes you are so immersed in the fire you just need to get out, and it sounds like he made the choice he felt was right for him. Some people would have just beaten down the people targeting them, he left. Nothing wrong with removing yourself from a situation and it is probably wise. His refusal to be a beating post cannot be judged without a lot more background and context.

60niners

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":v6mq941b said:

You have very little information and are making a judgement. Neither of us knows, but it sounds it sounds like he was being made a target by half the offensive line. Getting nicknames like Big Weirdo isn't always taken the positive way.

You can be pretty tough but when you are made a target by a group over a period of time, it can wear on you. You never know until you are in it.

Tell you a story, when I was 18, as the first son I was told I had to join the military. Family honor thing and all that. So I did before college and I ended up going to basic. Back then I was tiny, and made a target early once I joined. I was hounded relentlessly and it wasn't that I wasn't pulling my weight. I had the best PT scores, the best shooting scores, and got everything done. But I was constantly a target. Finally, I had enough and pulled everyone targeting me into a room. I pointed out that I was the best shot in the group and that next time when we went to the firing range when they gave me a clip with live ammunition I was betting I could put the clip in and empty it into them before any of the other people there could stop me. I mentioned the moment you walk with live ammo to your firing position. One guy said "You do that and you will go to jail!" and I said "Yep, but you will either be dead or never walk again" and I was serious. Never had another problem the entire time I was in, though some of the guys were a bit scared of me after. I got my security clearance, did my time, went to UW and never had any problems after either.

I've had guns pulled on me in HS and at parties and never flinched, but in that situation after several weeks I damn near lost it. You can be mentally tough and still be worn down by constant assault.

The point is that sometimes you are so immersed in the fire you just need to get out, and it sounds like he made the choice he felt was right for him. Some people would have just beaten down the people targeting them, he left. Nothing wrong with removing yourself from a situation and it is probably wise. His refusal to be a beating post cannot be judged without a lot more background and context.
Rep. All of it.

razgriz737

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":inxssipn said:

Good post. Facepalming at some of the comments here. :34853_doh:

kearly

Reaction score
Great story TwistedHusky. On the money too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lots of good points Twisted, not knowing his situation and history nobody can judge his feelings and or reactions. This could have went really bad reaction wise, he took the high road so to speak and has reached out to get help.

Group and I say group as in a bunch of people that are like minded or of a clique versus someone that doesn't fit the mold and walks to the beat of his own drummer can be hard for the individual. Usually it is just a perception, person may not be a social butterfly, may not fall in line as one of the guys, may have a whole different set of values and interests. But to the group is different, we judge and gang mentality pile on people that are passive in their own defense and many times deem them week for not retaliating in the way we expect. Or in some cases wonder what button was pushed when that person is at a McDonalds with a AK47 on a shooting rampage.

I think as the weeks go by and this story gets some legs and understanding maybe we will re evaluate todays perception of this player.

Oh and Twisted, I understand, I graduated High School at 5'4" and 120 pounds, started out as a freshman 4'11" 60 pounds. Now am 6"0 240. Late bloomer had a weird form of a melenoma till 13 .

Basis4day

Reaction score
There is far to much speculation on this player than actual fact. No one actually knows why is is absent. He has made no statements.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
His facebook said not to believe every thing you read. Sounds like the media is blowing this thing up to be more than it really is. Sounds like a guy that was having a tough time, got pushed to his limit, and need a vacation. With bullying being a hot topic right now, I can see how the situation grew into what it is.