3 game stretch 9ers may stumble

GoHawks

Reaction score
9er's play Jags next Sun in London then have there bye week, their next 3 games offer the best chance for a loss IMO

10 Sun, Nov 10
vs
Carolina
4:05 PM FOX

11 Sun, Nov 17
@
New Orleans
4:25 PM FOX

12 Mon, Nov 25
@
Washington
8:30 PM

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Since this is the internet, and we can say random crap that doesn't matter.

Niners win all three of those games....BUT they lose to the Jags.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I was really disappointed in Tennessee yesterday, I really thought they'd give the niners a game.

DAMN YOU SEAHAWKS FOR BEING SO PHYSICAL THAT YOUR OPPONENTS ALWAYS LOSE THE NEXT WEEK! WHY GOD WHY!?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Edit: Never mind, Hawk Blogger screwed up.

Sgt. Largent":1qtdmhq8 said:
DAMN YOU SEAHAWKS FOR BEING SO PHYSICAL THAT YOUR OPPONENTS ALWAYS LOSE THE NEXT WEEK! WHY GOD WHY!?
More like DAMN YOU NFL FOR LETTING THE 49ERS GET OUR SLOPPY SECONDS SO MANY TIMES THIS YEAR!!!! :)

Laloosh

Reaction score
Does SOS come into play before point differential? How doe the tie breaker work in the NFL?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

For the purposes of determining how the 49ers can still win the division, if the Seahawks win @ SF later this year, it is completely impossible for the 49ers to win the division if they finish with the same # of wins as we do unless they also have a tie with someone.

If the unthinkable happens and we lose @ SF, however, and both teams finish with the same # of wins this year, determining the division winner goes to win/loss percentage within the division. If we both go 5-1 against division opponents so that's a tie as well, then it goes to best win/loss percentage in common games; i.e., games that both teams played. So of 16 total games, 6 are in the division, and of the remaining 10, let's say 6 of them are out-of-division games against the same opponents, if we go 5-1 out of those 6 opponents and the 49ers go 4-2 against them, then we win the division.

If we both have the same record in common games, then it goes to win/loss percentage in the conference; the NFC for us, obviously. If THAT is also a tie, then it goes to strength of victory, then strength of schedule. Right now, the 49ers win in both of those categories. It's possible, though very unlikely, that our general screwing around and costly mistakes in almost every game played to date may lose us the division simply because we've dominated a fair number of games while allowing a lot of points through random mistakes like turning the ball over deep in our own territory, special teams gaffes leading to opponent TDs, etc.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Thanks, iRo.

Guess the Seattle Seahawks just need to remember their mission this season... "Leave no doubt."

Dtowers

Reaction score
What's up with iRo? Big apple fan or something?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2eex9q50 said:
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

For the purposes of determining how the 49ers can still win the division, if the Seahawks win @ SF later this year, it is completely impossible for the 49ers to win the division if they finish with the same # of wins as we do unless they also have a tie with someone.

If the unthinkable happens and we lose @ SF, however, and both teams finish with the same # of wins this year, determining the division winner goes to win/loss percentage within the division. If we both go 5-1 against division opponents so that's a tie as well, then it goes to best win/loss percentage in common games; i.e., games that both teams played. So of 16 total games, 6 are in the division, and of the remaining 10, let's say 6 of them are out-of-division games against the same opponents, if we go 5-1 out of those 6 opponents and the 49ers go 4-2 against them, then we win the division.

If we both have the same record in common games, then it goes to win/loss percentage in the conference; the NFC for us, obviously. If THAT is also a tie, then it goes to strength of victory, then strength of schedule. Right now, the 49ers win in both of those categories. It's possible, though very unlikely, that our general screwing around and costly mistakes in almost every game played to date may lose us the division simply because we've dominated a fair number of games while allowing a lot of points through random mistakes like turning the ball over deep in our own territory, special teams gaffes leading to opponent TDs, etc.

For clarification, in case there's any confusion for those reading this paragraph, "strength of victory" doesn't mean MARGIN of victory. It means the same thing as strength of schedule, except it only includes the records of the teams that you beat. For example, if our strength of victory was to be calculated right now, it would include the records of every team we've played except Indianapolis. The 49ers seem to have the inside track on us in the strength of victory category because they'll face Washington and Packers while we face the Giants and Vikings. Absent any sudden surge by our two different opponents or any absolute tailspin by the 49ers' opponents, they'll have the upper hand here if we beat all the same teams and dispatch our NFCE and NFCN opponents, as expected.

The best bet for us is to just beat the 49ers in SF. If we can't manage that, the next best scenario for us (realistic scenario, that is, meaning I'm not talking about SF losing to Jax) is for us to beat the Saints while the 49ers lose to them.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If we lose at SF while they are still on a win streak, things could get very hairy. In fact, it looks like we will lose the division if both teams win out from here on out except we lose at SF. It would really suck to NOT be the division winner with a 14-2 record.

If we lose to the 49ers while they continue winning out, both teams will have lost to the Colts, and to each other. Those would both be draws. If the 49ers continue having a higher strength of victory, which is defined by the win/loss records of the opponents a team has beaten, then we are hosed in this scenario. Remember, strength of victory can't be calculated properly until the regular season is over; you base it on how teams actually ended up doing once the season is done, even though everyone uses it as a future indicator to guess how hard a schedule is going into the next season.

While at this point it's possible Seattle might be able to get a higher strength of victory rating than the 49ers, it's looking very unlikely based on remaining opponents for both teams. We face 7 more teams that currently have losing records, the 49ers face 6; and they're already ahead based on strength of victory.

If both the Seahawks and 49ers finish 14-2 and the second loss for the Seahawks came at SF, we lose the division. I just checked through how this would play out, and we'd have the same win percentage against both common opponents and conference ones, so...Crap.

I didn't realize this, but if the 49ers win out including winning over us, they will win the division, despite being a game behind us right now. This is not good. (Assuming their strength of victory remains higher, which is almost guaranteed based on remaining opponents.)

@Volsung: Yeah, I realized that after I said it.

@Dtowers: The opposite. I am a confirmed Apple hater, so one day Throwdown was (jokingly) angry with me, he called me iRoland, and it stuck mainly because SacHawk2.0 is a huge troll and kept repeating it everywhere. ;)

rlkats

Reaction score
One game at a time boys. My Niners have four very difficult games seahawks panthers saints and redskins. I'm not counting on anything yet.

Sac

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1il3ixem said:
he called me iRoland, and it stuck mainly because SacHawk2.0 is a huge troll and kept repeating it everywhere. ;)

I do not troll.

The Radish

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3sklqfbl said:
RolandDeschain":3sklqfbl said:
he called me iRoland, and it stuck mainly because SacHawk2.0 is a huge troll and kept repeating it everywhere. ;)

I do not troll.

Yes you do. And frequently flame.

Now can we get back to the subject??? or does everyone have to continue this trolling?

:roll:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
49ers lose week 14 then week 15 against the Bucs.. :)

Dtowers

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2v5qqxgy said:
RolandDeschain":2v5qqxgy said:

I do not troll.

I get it thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts