Oh Jacksonville, you crazy fools.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Adam Schefter is reporting that Jacksonville is trading former first round pick Eugene Monroe to Baltimore for two mid-round draft picks. Looks like Gus & Co. is following Cleveland's lead of stockpiling picks to rebuild through the draft.

garrylt4

Reaction score
Hey Gus hook your buddies in Seattle up. We could use the o-line help.

RedAlice

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2soyar7v said:
Adam Schefter is reporting that Jacksonville is trading former first round pick Eugene Monroe to Baltimore for two mid-round draft picks. Looks like Gus & Co. is following Cleveland's lead of stockpiling picks to rebuild through the draft.

If they are following the Cleveland plan...that means they win this week.

RedAlice

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":10d0rzjz said:
Pretty obvious move given they're just an embarrassment at this point.

I am going to reserve my judgement on that word until after this week. :)

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Too talented to be traded for late round picks. I know jax has joekel, but he has struggled mightily. bad to worse with this trade, makes little sense. They need to keep the actual talent they do have.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
WTH?

You don't trade good OL.

Monroe is a solid LT AND I think he was a former first round pick!

You cannot possibly dig your way out of the gutter by trading 1st round picks for 5ths, even the old GM for the Chargers, who thought he was the best at doing that, couldn't get away with that.

Speaking of which, why, if we were in desperate need of an LT replacement for Okung for half the season - did we not know about this offer and make a better deal?

They are really shafting poor Gus if they are expecting to dig out of their malaise by removing one of the few serviceable OL they have. Didn't they already send an important LB from Jax to Ravens?

What is the advantage of gutting their team and removing all shreds of talent? Do they think they are the Mariners?

PS If anyone from the Ravens inquires about a player the answer should ALWAYS ALWAYS be no. Because Ozzie is a better judge of talent than almost any other GM out there. So if he likes someone the GM should just hang up the phone. You won't win that deal. Again, like any of the idiotic trades where the Mariners traded good players to the Yankees for some neverwillbe.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
SeatownJay":360ut4y1 said:

I thought "there aren't any good o-lineman on the market" and we should just suck up our atrocious o-line play. This is at least what the brain trust here is pumping out.

HansGruber

Reaction score
thebanjodude":yj7rolwo said:
When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of this...

[youtube]2AL7r-ay8PY[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AL7r-ay8PY

Watching that video of a ridiculously low-budget mascot being pelted with paintballs, realizing that is about the only exciting thing that franchise has going for it, and that that's where Gus Bradley ended up coaching.... god, just makes me sad.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Monroe was in his last year of his rookie deal and that tells much of what we need to know. The low compensation is because Baltimore is essentially renting him for the year and the move itself means Monroe probably wasn't re-signing with Jacksonville. We did the same thing with Josh Wilson in PC's first year for what I think may have been the 5th rounder we traded up a few spots with to select a corner named Richard Sherman.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
falcongoggles":223g4jjs said:
SeatownJay":223g4jjs said:

I thought "there aren't any good o-lineman on the market" and we should just suck up our atrocious o-line play. This is at least what the brain trust here is pumping out.

Who says that "former first round" equals "good"? I don't recall Monroe making any splash at all. Who's to say that he's a better option for us than the guys currently on our roster?

Erebus

Reaction score
From all I've read, it seems he was a solid player. Not sure how a lineman on a bad team can make a splash.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":wzrjim74 said:
Monroe was in his last year of his rookie deal and that tells much of what we need to know. The low compensation is because Baltimore is essentially renting him for the year and the move itself means Monroe probably wasn't re-signing with Jacksonville. We did the same thing with Josh Wilson in PC's first year for what I think may have been the 5th rounder we traded up a few spots with to select a corner named Richard Sherman.
Yup. It's a business. A pretty good deal for Baltimore if it results in better line play for 3/4 of a season and possible playoffs and JAX gets something for Monroe (who would likely walk after this season.) Accumulating picks and bringing in as much talent as possible is key to rebuilding, which is what JAX is doing.