Kerry Rhodes: Blackballed for Sexual Preference?

pehawk

Reaction score
I had no idea that these rumors (and picures apparently) surfaced this summer. Nor did I know he was not in the league. The latter is odd, because dude's ALWAYS been a baller. If I was the 49ers, I'd consider Rhodes. Or the Cowboys, even.

Really odd and interesting story...

Magary points out that Rhodes still has the goods, and that he can help a team win. Why, then, isn’t Rhodes on a team?I became more curious about the situation. A source who would know whether there is any buzz about Kerry Rhodes told me there’s no buzz about Kerry Rhodes. I shared that with Magary. Who put it in his article at Deadspin. Which I’m linking here. Which means that for the first time in the existence of the site I’m aggregating an article in which I’m quoted as a source of news.

(Somewhere, a small crack has been opened in the space-time continuum.)

Magary thinks Rhodes possibly is being blackballed because of Internet rumors that emerged during the offseason about Rhodes’ sexual orientation. Rhodes has denied the rumors, the photos that sparked the rumors have disappeared, but no one has shown any interest in giving Rhodes another chance to play.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ry-rhodes/

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember them coming out and thought the whole thing was odd. Rhodes kinda waved the assumptions away, but I think the other guy said some revealing details. I don't think it should be an issue, but I guess I can understand the sentiment of a coach not wanting to deal with the inevitable discourse and/or distraction that comes from it.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
If I was Jerry Jones I'd do it. He'd automatically be the best safetie since Djack twitched on their turf, and there'd be a Brokeback Mountain marketing tie-in.

Aight, the latters a joke to illustrate a valid point. Jerry digs marketing. And Rhodes is a hella of a player.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sad.

I remember the story when it hit. Supposedly the players wives knew all along as his boyfriend would sit with them.

I hope the rumor isn't what is keeping him unemployed but I'm afraid it just might be.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, this bums me out. I'm going to say the league which sent Moon to Canada, took until 1989 or so to have a minority HC, still clings to stereotypes on Wilson/Flutie type would blackball this guy.

Kinda sucks...I've always respected the hell out of him as a player.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't know that he still has the goods. He was an average safety to begin with and didn't stick with any one team. It would be sad though for any player to be shunned because of sexual preference though.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
That would be really disappointing if that is the reason he cant even get a tryout. Although if he is gay he should probably come out with it and put the issue to rest.

Throwdown

Reaction score
In a league where Manti Te'o can get a job, he should get a shot. If they're worried about the locker room specifically, dude wasn't that good of a safety, he was above average, but I think the evidence shown was pretty damning, dude was also in a Lady Gaga video dressed up pretty suspect too. I think the denial might be the biggest reason, honestly.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Well, I think the concern is, there could potentially be a pressure to be a pioneer. It could potentially be a media circus.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1avyi90g said:
I don't know that he still has the goods. He was an average safety to begin with and didn't stick with any one team. It would be sad though for any player to be shunned because of sexual preference though.

Didn't stick with any one team? He's only played for the Jets and the Cards, and was a pretty good safety for both franchises. He was good enough with New York to get a deal worth $30+ million from Arizona.

His age might scare some teams away (like ours, for one), but you can't tell me that there aren't teams like Carolina who could use a 31-year old who still has game.

ivotuk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":270gz32e said:
ivotuk":270gz32e said:

Didn't stick with any one team? He's only played for the Jets and the Cards, and was a pretty good safety for both franchises. He was good enough with New York to get a deal worth $30+ million from Arizona.

His age might scare some teams away (like ours, for one), but you can't tell me that there aren't teams like Carolina who could use a 31-year old who still has game.

I stand corrected. I thought he left AZ and played for someone else. I think that AZ overpaid him though. Looking at his recent stats, looks like the injury bug may have caught up with him the last 2 years only playing 7 games in 2011 and 15 in 2012 although I can't say for sure injury is why he missed a game in 2012. It also says he played 8 years which really isn't that long. Maybe his playing style took it's toll?

Throwdown

Reaction score
I just read a deadspin article on it, mentioned Jason Collins and if him and Rhodes don't get jobs it's obviously a bias.

One, the Rhodes thing is odd certainly

Two, Jason Collins wasn't even a role player caliber player in his prime! Was always a late offseason pick up kind of a filler because every team in the NBA needs at least 2 big men.

That is ridiculousness, I wish people would actually pay attention to sports before they spout off.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Rhodes is not even in the same stratosphere as Collins in the "scrub" realm. Rhodes is a good NFL player. Collins' days were numbered regardless. He's old and doesn't produce. Rhodes is still in his prime years for another 2, and has been a productive player. In basketball parlance he's like a sixth man, whereas Collins is like 10th or 11th man.

This story irritates me. The NFL says to be inclusive, and be fair, treat others right, etc. They are talking the talk on these issues, which is good. But they aren't walking the walk.

It reminds me a bit of people griping about the Rooney Rule, and saying it is not needed, but we still have a disproportionate amount of black players compared to black coaches and executives. How many other Ozzie Newsomes are out there that aren't getting a shot due to stupid owners? Speaking of the Cowboys, look who is running their draft. Jerry's son. Anybody want to tell me flat out that there aren't about 9,000 former black players, coaches, etc. who would do a superior job to that clown? Seriously? I'd let Ty Willingham run my draft before I'd let that Jones kid do it again.

Just looking at the Seahawks... really isn't Rhodes a better option at NFL minimum than Maragos? I'd think so. I understand Maragos is a "team guy" and took a paycut to stay, and is good at showing up at the children's hospital and such. But look at our 2005 team. Hamlin goes down, and his replacement in Marquand Manuel (who was actually a better fundamental player) goes down in the Superbowl, and Etric Pruitt is getting burned over the top. Now that was a GOOD team. But even we weren't three deep at safety. Some teams aren't even two deep, and Rhodes isn't getting a call? Ridiculous and inexcusable if the best players are getting the jobs. Michael Boulware played safety in the league for multiple years for crying out loud. Cortland Finnegan is still a starting DB. Yes, seriously. Amazing.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":6kbvymab said:
That would be really disappointing if that is the reason he cant even get a tryout. Although if he is gay he should probably come out with it and put the issue to rest.

He really should come out. Might be his best chance to get back into the league. Force the issue and maybe the league front office into some sort of action.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Why should he have to come out? Should every player who is manic depressive have to announce it publicly? Should every player who is a virgin (aside from Tebow) have to talk about it? Should every player who is cheating on his wife have to hold a press conference? I don't see how his preference one way or the other should be a factor.

I realize that my examples are a bit off, but I think the point is there that a guy shouldn't have to change who he is or how he has lived his life to get a job that he's ultimately highly qualified for. He hasn't broken a law that I'm aware of. Some people keep their private life to themselves.

There is also the possibility that he was one of the players that was going to "come out" en masse with the help of Chris Kluwe and Brandon Ayanbadejo and the group couldn't come to a consensus or the discussion fell apart because of feared backlash (which seems to have possibly happened to Rhodes anyway and now he's stuck in no man's land... damned if he does, damned if he doesn't).

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1vow281c said:
Why should he have to come out? Should every player who is manic depressive have to announce it publicly? Should every player who is a virgin (aside from Tebow) have to talk about it? Should every player who is cheating on his wife have to hold a press conference? I don't see how his preference one way or the other should be a factor.

I realize that my examples are a bit off, but I think the point is there that a guy shouldn't have to change who he is or how he has lived his life to get a job that he's ultimately highly qualified for. He hasn't broken a law that I'm aware of. Some people keep their private life to themselves.

Someone has to be first. Rosa Parks, the students who integrated Ol' (racist) Miss...they were brave enough to step out and do the right thing at a time where they had a helluva lot more to lose than a modern day gay athlete.

Just because he can blend in to a crowd because homosexuality doesn't have a social "scarlet letter" (like being of a different color) still doesn't change the fact that if no one will hire him because of his sexual orientation it is discrimination and wrong, pure and simple.