Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:48 pm 
* NET Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:49 pm
Posts: 2977
Panthers will be a challenging opening day opponent for the Seahawks in 2013.

Quote:
Newton is also noted in the report as being an advocate for easier-to-say plays. And he's already proven how much he can thrive in an up-tempo offense. In his lone season with the Auburn Tigers in 2010, Newton, playing in then-offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn's offense, heavily predicated on speed to the line and an overall fast pace, basically set the college football world on fire for an entire season.

Link >>> http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/31/4383244/carolina-panthers-offense-mike-shula-cam-newton


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:14 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10044
So you are saying we get to face a QB who will still be adjusting to a new offense? Awesome. Unless he is actually switching to the Auburn offense that featured about 6 plays, I am not worried about facing an up tempo team.

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:24 pm 
* NET Moderator *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Posts: 18457
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
That just means Russell Wilson gets more time with the ball in his hands. And more opportunities for the LOB to catch passes from Newton.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:41 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am
Posts: 6370
Easier for him to say or understand?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:14 pm 
USMC 1970-77
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
Posts: 9546
Location: Monroe, WA
When you go three and out every series, "up tempo" doesn't matter much.

;)

_________________
Talent can get you to the playoffs.
It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:13 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Posts: 5480
Location: Kansas City, MO
-The Glove- wrote:
Easier for him to say or understand?

Good question.

_________________
43-8...it's all about that action boss....
next man up.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:54 pm 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:28 pm
Posts: 255
Someone should go find that Gruden QB camp with Newton. Pay attention to his conversation with Gruden when Gruden asks him to call any play they ran at Auburn. He couldn't lol. Complex situations with multiple line calls and adjustments were obviously something he wasn't familiar with.

He's more comfortable looking to the sidelines and having them tell him what to do.

Newton has peaked, he's not a student of the game, he'll never make that jump to the next level. He has gotten as far as he will based off of natural talent.

If we lose to the Panthers I will be so pissed. It will tell me that we still don't show up for road games and we just aren't good enough.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:14 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Posts: 5480
Location: Kansas City, MO
Stoned Cold wrote:
Someone should go find that Gruden QB camp with Newton. Pay attention to his conversation with Gruden when Gruden asks him to call any play they ran at Auburn. He couldn't lol. Complex situations with multiple line calls and adjustments were obviously something he wasn't familiar with.

He's more comfortable looking to the sidelines and having them tell him what to do.

Newton has peaked, he's not a student of the game, he'll never make that jump to the next level. He has gotten as far as he will based off of natural talent.

If we lose to the Panthers I will be so pissed. It will tell me that we still don't show up for road games and we just aren't good enough.

EXACTLY. This is the year that the Big 5 will show their true colors. I expect 30-10ish Seattle win because I expect the Wilson and offense from Chicago forward going forward. Atlanta tells me I am not wrong especially given we have Harvin in the mix.

_________________
43-8...it's all about that action boss....
next man up.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:08 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:04 am
Posts: 424
Just a word of warning: If the Panthers are favored to win, they will usually lose in spectacular fashion; if they are favored to lose, though, for some reason they play alot better and either win or make it a close game. Its weird. See both Falcons games last year: they had no business being in either of those games, yet they came two minutes away from winning one and won the other. This up tempo rumor is suprising, because they are built to be more of a clock-control team and don't have many options in the passing game. The offense is simply not good enough to maintain drives and if they speed up, they will be off the feild quicker.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:20 am 
* NET Philistine *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
Posts: 14120
Location: Portland, OR
So, the Panthers are basically announcing that they want to give up offensive series in the beginning of the game in order to wear out the other team by the 4th quarter.

That's not going to help them much with our offense's ability to control the ball.

_________________
Super Bowl Champions XVLIII


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:13 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22719
Location: Kirkland, WA
Scottemojo wrote:
So you are saying we get to face a QB who will still be adjusting to a new offense? Awesome. Unless he is actually switching to the Auburn offense that featured about 6 plays, I am not worried about facing an up tempo team.


How long did it take Alex Smith to adjust to a stupidly simple offense? A quarter from the first game of the year, maybe? Just sayin'. If they do it right and surprise us, it could be a problem. I'm still confident of a win, but I wouldn't compare it to the typical learning of a new offense. I imagine most of the plays will be plays already in the existing/prior playbook, with the same names, etc.; but that a lot of intermediate/difficult ones are simply removed.

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:15 pm 
* NET X's & O's Guru *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
Posts: 8615
Location: PNW
Its not like the article said it's a no-huddle or anything, just that they want to make it easier to communicate the plays so they arent standing around between plays as long. Every team preaches tempo and it sounds like they are condensing the play calls to speed things up a bit.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:39 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3077
Location: Anchorage, AK
Sounds like he should have stayed in College instead of going pro :D

Reminds me of this fast guy that could throw the ball really really hard. He played in Atlanta then killed dogs for awhile. Wonder what ever happened with that guy. Why it reminds me? Atlanta did the EXACT same thing. They simplified the playcalling to fit the brain of their qb


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:02 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10044
RolandDeschain wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:
So you are saying we get to face a QB who will still be adjusting to a new offense? Awesome. Unless he is actually switching to the Auburn offense that featured about 6 plays, I am not worried about facing an up tempo team.


How long did it take Alex Smith to adjust to a stupidly simple offense? A quarter from the first game of the year, maybe? Just sayin'. If they do it right and surprise us, it could be a problem. I'm still confident of a win, but I wouldn't compare it to the typical learning of a new offense. I imagine most of the plays will be plays already in the existing/prior playbook, with the same names, etc.; but that a lot of intermediate/difficult ones are simply removed.

It's a new offense, he has a new coordinator and everything.

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:02 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22719
Location: Kirkland, WA
Scottemojo wrote:
It's a new offense, he has a new coordinator and everything.


Do coordinators change the names of plays just for the sake of changing them, though? (Serious question; if the existing/prior play book has a given play identical to one you have a different name for, does the coordinator force the team to learn the new name?)

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:44 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am
Posts: 2869
Wilson's writing the book, newtons looking for clif notes.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:21 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8673
Location: Is Everything
RolandDeschain wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:
It's a new offense, he has a new coordinator and everything.


Do coordinators change the names of plays just for the sake of changing them, though? (Serious question; if the existing/prior play book has a given play identical to one you have a different name for, does the coordinator force the team to learn the new name?)


I think for the most part yeah. Not side busting but Knapp brought what he called "offense." He runs his version of a west coast. Hass constantly complained about it when he let frustration lose.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:51 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10044
RolandDeschain wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:
It's a new offense, he has a new coordinator and everything.


Do coordinators change the names of plays just for the sake of changing them, though? (Serious question; if the existing/prior play book has a given play identical to one you have a different name for, does the coordinator force the team to learn the new name?)

They are reportedly running Rob Chudzinski's offense, but changing the verbiage to shorten huddle time. Shula was the QB coach last year, so I expect Cam to get his way more than in the past.

FWIW, Shula never averaged more than 20 PPG in his three years in Tampa as the OC, and that offense declined every year he led it. Dungy was his coach at the time, so the reported conservative game planning might have been more Dungy than Shula.

So to answer your question, yeah in this case it seems the coordinator has changed the names of plays without changing the plays. I remember when Bevell was hired, it was constantly reported that the offense would not change, just the playcaller. Then the season came, and all the players besides Tarvaris and Rice had to learn a new offense. Since then, I tend to just think of a new OC as a new offense no matter what.

Lets call it what it is. They are simplifying the offensive calls because Cam had trouble with making playcalls. If what I saw when he was in Gruden's camp is accurate, and if the reports that in his first year they Rob had to simplify his offense for Cam because of that same thing, I would say it is likely Cam needs a simpler set of play calls. Going up tempo is probably ancillary to simplifying the playcalls.

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:10 am 
* Gangnameister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Posts: 11083
Location: PoCompton, BC Canada
I wonder if they'll be using the same colors, shapes and See n Say that Papaki is using to teach Pocket Locket the 9'er offense. I can already picture the huddle.....

Cam Newton wrote:
okay guys, huddle up. We're going to run the blue circle play. That's the one where cow says "moo", cow says "moo". Blue Circle on 2, blue circle on 2. If we get this right, coach is going to let us play with leggo at recess... er... halftime. Readeee, break!

Steve Smith wrote:
Dafuq is this...?

_________________
I <3 Nunchucks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:33 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:02 pm
Posts: 288
Cam Newton will be good until his natural athleticism starts to wane; when that happens, he'll fall off. I think it's obvious he doesn't put in the time to be an all time great. I think it's funny when beat writers say they'd chose him over Luck, RGIII, Kaep, and Wilson. All of those guys are excellent above the shoulders. Cam is probably the most gifted from the shoulders down. That works for every position on the field other than QB.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Panthers simplify play calls for 'up-tempo' offense
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:28 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:24 pm
Posts: 27
NinerBuff wrote:
Cam Newton will be good until his natural athleticism starts to wane; when that happens, he'll fall off. I think it's obvious he doesn't put in the time to be an all time great. I think it's funny when beat writers say they'd chose him over Luck, RGIII, Kaep, and Wilson. All of those guys are excellent above the shoulders. Cam is probably the most gifted from the shoulders down. That works for every position on the field other than QB.



I pretty much agree with this.

In fact I don't think much of Cam as a QB at all.

He has tons of physical gifts, speed, athleticism and the like. Pretty much everything you would need in every position OTHER than QB.
I still stand by my earlier prediction, that within 5 years he will have been benched, traded or cut.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ NFL NATION ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: crucifyd, Lawke and 29 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.