League..why Ryan Shazier's hit on Giovani..not flagged

ivotuk

Reaction score
"League tries to clarify why Ryan Shazier's hit on Giovani Bernard was not flagged."

Once again, the referees bail the Stealers out. I can't believe that wasn't flagged or fined.

"According to Blandino, Shazier's hit was clean football. Why? Because Bernard established himself as a runner and was no longer a defenseless receiver; and because the players were running toward each other at different angles, meaning the way Shazier led with his head wasn't an issue."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... oordinator

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ivotuk":30253omx said:
"League tries to clarify why Ryan Shazier's hit on Giovani Bernard was not flagged."

Once again, the referees bail the Stealers out. I can't believe that wasn't flagged or fined.

"According to Blandino, Shazier's hit was clean football. Why? Because Bernard established himself as a runner and was no longer a defenseless receiver; and because the players were running toward each other at different angles, meaning the way Shazier led with his head wasn't an issue."

Translation: He plays for a legacy team, no blood no foul.
Joey Porter only got a slap on the wrist. He should have been fined more and suspended for a few games without pay.

irocdave

Reaction score
If I was a Bungles fan I would be pissed about the officiating in that game. Read some steelers posts on a steelers site after that debacle, they are just as dumb, blind, arrogant and ignorant as they were in 2005. Just not as many of them around anymore to be a legit irritant.

PS, OP might want to check the copy and past link.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Shouldn't the general rule be 'never lead with your head'?

drrew

Reaction score
Blandino talking all the time is horrible for the league. This explanation is absurd, the rule is clear.

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
ivotuk":39fnz257 said:

Translation: Commissioner Rooney told us not to fine him and then make up some bullshit excuse why we didn't.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Maybe, someday, the league will get over covering it's collective ass and just be transparent. Until then we get a weekly explanation of bad calls that is reminiscent of Baghdad bob telling us there is nothing to see. They explain 4 or 5 calls a week, and at least 3 are bullshit, and we all know it. But they trot their guy out every week to say the same ol shit. It tarnishes the brand.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I heard that the ref responsible for that area is the older brother of a former stealer defensive coach... The NFL love's letting pissburgh fans officiate stealer games.

This was also the same officiating crew from the regular season game that got a bit out of hand.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rideaducati":sbwky5vi said:
I heard that the ref responsible for that area is the older brother of a former stealer defensive coach... The NFL love's letting pissburgh fans officiate stealer games.....
Apparently Commissioner Rooney has been selecting officials for Stealer games for at least ten years now.