Rams move to St. Louis .......

pmedic920

Reaction score
I don't remember the details but guess I've always assumed they moved because they lacked fan support in LA.

Does anybody know the details?

It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out, if they don't post winning seasons in the first few years.

People in LA have tons of stuff to keep them busy, I don't see them supporting the Rams as they have been lately.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Georgia moved the team to Anaheim, tanked it, and moved to St. Louis to make more money. They built a free stadium connected to a convention center and signed this lease with the great terms.

Fan support was down - I don't think that was the main reason though. As it was not the main reason in St. Louis this time.

I was a college student in San Diego at the time....didn't make it up much, but still watched them every week.

As to how fan support will be in LA - I agree completely that Rams need to have a winning team to keep LA interested. Absolutely.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
Basically the organization was playing uninspired football and had bad records for the last 5 years. From '90-'93 Chuck Knox was there after being in Seattle and people found his running style boring. Fans in L.A. lost interest and they also required a new stadium which no one wanted to pay for.

Even after all that the majority of the owners didn't want to move them to St. Louis but there were lawsuits threatened against the league and Tagliabue got enough owners to change their votes.

So then St. Louis gained the Rams after having lost the Cardinals in '87 I think.

RedAlice

Reaction score
RobDaHawk":s6x0pak8 said:
Basically the organization was playing uninspired football and had bad records for the last 5 years. From '90-'93 Chuck Knox was there after being in Seattle and people found his running style boring. Fans in L.A. lost interest and they also required a new stadium which no one wanted to pay for.

Even after all that the majority of the owners didn't want to move them to St. Louis but there were lawsuits threatened against the league and Tagliabue got enough owners to change their votes.

So then St. Louis gained the Rams after having lost the Cardinals in '87 I think.

Correct, but Georgia also helped change those votes by threatening to sue the NFL and (rumored) money. And, St. Louis bent over backwards to get a team back with the free stadium and beneficial lease. For Georgia, it made the most sense.

She also caused a lot of the bad play at the end in order to lessen fan support.

This is part of the reason I find it ridiculous when StL supporters complain that Kroenke is moving the team for GREED. That's exactly how they got the Rams in the first place and they were happy about GREED in 1994.

NFL owners are all about money.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, if it's more then a decade I think fans either forget or just don't care how they aquired their teams in the first place. I'm glad they are going back to L.A. But then again, I'm not a Rams fan from St. Louis.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Another thing to think about...

With social media, fantasy football, and just society in general....the NFL has exploded in popularity since the 90s. Completely different animal. You need to string together a decade of winning to establish a following like the Steelers/Packers/Patriots have...luckily we have tons of diehard fans in LA to get a jump start....and the NFL has become much more popular across the globe.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
Ramfan128":39kuoh4f said:
Another thing to think about...

With social media, fantasy football, and just society in general....the NFL has exploded in popularity since the 90s. Completely different animal. You need to string together a decade of winning to establish a following like the Steelers/Packers/Patriots have...luckily we have tons of diehard fans in LA to get a jump start....and the NFL has become much more popular across the globe.

I see what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree, however social media also makes the world a smaller place. It's much easier to be a fan these days even when you don't live in that teams market.

Maulbert

Reaction score
What I find funny is that Kroenke had a big hand in moving the team to St. Louis in the first place. He had been the big name trying to attract an expansion team there when the NFL added Jacksonville and Carolina (Baltimore and Memphis were the other major contenders), and he was approved by the NFL as a minority owner of the Rams the same day the league approved the move to St. Louis.