Alex Mack - could we afford

drrew

Reaction score
Unlikely.

Wilson's cap # going from $7m to $18.5m will make it difficult to make any big $ additions.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
drrew":24u65p0m said:
Unlikely.

Wilson's cap # going from $7m to $18.5m will make it difficult to make any big $ additions.
Not even close to true.

The cap is going way,way up. A couple of big contracts may be gone.

The real question is Okung, Sweezy, and two unhappy guys with multiple years left in Kam and Bennett. After them, or IF them, will there be dimes left for anyone?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2bs803gp said:
drrew":2bs803gp said:
Unlikely.

Not even close to true.

The real question is Okung, Sweezy, and two unhappy guys with multiple years left in Kam and Bennett. After them, or IF them, will there be dimes left for anyone?
Yep 12 million plus is coming off the books in dead money. Harvin's, Unger's, and Z. Miller's dead money is coming off the books.

Rob12

Reaction score
Seahawks are in very good cap shape for next season.

Dead money gone (12-13M I believe) and Beast, depending on if he sticks around/is brought back.

Cap is once again increasing.

We're in good shape.

massari

Reaction score
Lynch will likely be cut so that saves 6.5M with 2.5M of that going towards Cary Williams dead money.

There's a chance Graham could get cut which would free up 9M.

If Bennett/Chancellor threaten to hold out again hopefully they'll be traded away for high draft picks.

They seem to be in good shape with the cap going up.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Lewis is playing really well at the moment and he's pretty cheap. If we made a move for the OL it would be at tackle as Gilliam still is the weakest link and Okung might be gone after this year.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I was really interested in Mack when all the rumblings were going on during the 2014 offseason, but at that point he hadn't played a ZBS in the NFL. He looked like a promising and durable replacement for the oft-injured Unger.

The Browns brought in Shanahan and Mack excelled before his injury. He has done well this year under DeFillipo who continued Shanahan's ZBS with some modifications.

I would love to pick him up, but I think the price tag will be too high. The top priority this offseason has to be a long-term solution at left tackle. Okung is easily the top prospect in this year's weak class of left tackle free agents. Unless we want to gamble on picking up a free agent next year, when there are several top free agent left tackles coming on the market, by replacing Okung with someone currently on the roster or a draft pick, I think it is imperative that we retain Okung. I just don't like the alternatives.

I also don't feel like this is a particularly deep draft at LT, though I am far from good at evaluating draft talent. To me, it looks like there may be 2 NFL caliber LTs and both will likely be long gone before the 32nd pick. ;)

-bsd

massari

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1nyae2kl said:
I would love to pick him up, but I think the price tag will be too high. The top priority this offseason has to be a long-term solution at left tackle. Okung is easily the top prospect in this year's weak class of left tackle free agents. Unless we want to gamble on picking up a free agent next year, when there are several top free agent left tackles coming on the market, by replacing Okung with someone currently on the roster or a draft pick, I think it is imperative that we retain Okung. I just don't like the alternatives.

-bsd
Kelvin Beachum (if healthy) and Cordy Glenn are free agent LT's along with Okung.

They could probably sign C-Wisniewski and RT-Barksdale for 3M-4M per each if they want to go the UFA route while Mack will get around 8M per.

2016 OL depth chart:

LT- Kelvin Beachum / draft pick
LG- Britt / draft pick
C- Wisniewski /Lewis/ Sokoli
RG- Sweezy / Glowinski
RT- Joe Barksdale / Gilliam

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I stand by my statement that Okung is the best LT in free agency with Glen being the only real competition. Glen isn't the type of run blocker that Cable looks for, so I don't see him being a prime candidate here.

Beachum will be recovering from ACL reconstruction so reverts to an unknown status. He may return to pre injury form, or there may be a steep drop off. He is probably best served with a short tryout type contract with the Steelers.

Should we lose Okung in free agency, I would be happy to bring in either of them or Penn from Oakland, but I think that sticking with Okung is the best option if we can store him.

-bsd

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
bigskydoc":34evkzzo said:
I stand by my statement that Okung is the best LT in free agency with Glen being the only real competition. Glen isn't the type of run blocker that Cable looks for, so I don't see him being a prime candidate here.

Beachum will be recovering from ACL reconstruction so reverts to an unknown status. He may return to pre injury form, or there may be a steep drop off. He is probably best served with a short tryout type contract with the Steelers.

Should we lose Okung in free agency, I would be happy to bring in either of them or Penn from Oakland, but I think that sticking with Okung is the best option if we can store him.

-bsd
I don't see Okung leaving. I believe only two things drink out with him. Injury prone and mental(lots of false starts), very frustrating especially since he is the most seasoned OL we have.

I'd hate to see him leave, because when healthy, he is one of the best.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
A few teams are probably looking at Okung too. I have seen mention on one anyway. Probably expect more tho.

Jville

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":10t2ky7i said:
Scottemojo":10t2ky7i said:
drrew":10t2ky7i said:
Unlikely.

Not even close to true.

Yep 12 million plus is coming off the books in dead money. Harvin's, Unger's, and Z. Miller's dead money is coming off the books.

OTC (Over The Cap) currently has Seattle's dead cap charges for 2015 listed at $19,670,874

I would think continuity and competition would trump another change at center. Besides, they are committed to bringing in two or more priority rookies each year. It is part of the program.

kf3339

Reaction score
I think Okung is going to stay on a reasonably fair contract. If he really wanted to go after every dollar then you have a strong agent to maximize the competition for his services.

I think we are fine at center with Lewis and JPP, with Nowak in the background for more training.

The real questions is do we keep Sweezy and what his contract may require, or let our young guys battle for the RG spot.

Our line has finally looked good, and it would be a smart move by the FO to make every effort to keep the same guys for a few more seasons. This idea of constant change for the O-Line is just not good since they benefit most from growing as a complete unit together. We are there now, so why mess it up again?

drrew

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2w1q7rp8 said:
drrew":2w1q7rp8 said:
Unlikely.

Not even close to true.

The cap is going way,way up.

At least get your information correct if you're going to call me out. The 2015 cap is $143.28m. Teams were notified in December that the 2016 cap will be between $147m and $155m. If it rises by $3.62m, does that qualify as "way, way up."

$122m is already spoken for in 2016 and they'll need to spend money on a LT, RG, and two DTs. They are in reasonable cap shape, but they're not adding a $10m center.

Wilson's cap hit rising by $11.5 is absolutely a factor in what they can spend on outside FAs in 2016.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
drrew":1c8m3diw said:
Scottemojo":1c8m3diw said:
drrew":1c8m3diw said:
Unlikely.

Not even close to true.

The cap is going way,way up.

At least get your information correct if you're going to call me out. The 2015 cap is $143.28m. Teams were notified in December that the 2016 cap will be between $147m and $155m. If it rises by $3.62m, does that qualify as "way, way up."

$122m is already spoken for in 2016 and they'll need to spend money on a LT, RG, and two DTs. They are in reasonable cap shape, but they're not adding a $10m center.

Wilson's cap hit rising by $11.5 is absolutely a factor in what they can spend on outside FAs in 2016.
You are spinning. Using low numbers, ignoring dead money being free, possible cap casualties that will free up money, and a trend of making sure there is cap flexibility every single year.

I doubt they add a 10 mil dollar center as well. Not because of a lack of cap space, though. Not wanting to commit dollars to the OL is a Seattle thing right now, and I agree they will be spending more in house that out, but to paint a dire cap picture because of Wilson's contract is disengenous, particularly when the 155 mil number you quote is looking far more likely than 147.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...n will create some cap space, he always does.

kearly

Reaction score
The cap got weird for a couple years during and just after the holdout in 2011, but since then the actual cap numbers have exceeded projections each year.

I would expect another raise of $8-10 million this year, if the trend of the last few years continues.

gmor

Reaction score
Jville":2aoowyl6 said:
Sports Hernia":2aoowyl6 said:
Scottemojo":2aoowyl6 said:
drrew":2aoowyl6 said:
Unlikely.

Not even close to true.

OTC (Over The Cap) currently has Seattle's dead cap charges for 2015 listed at $19,670,874

I would think continuity and competition would trump another change at center. Besides, they are committed to bringing in two or more priority rookies each year. It is part of the program.
Agreed with the continuity part of the comment. Lewis is doing well and will get better. Bringing back Okung, Sweezy and hopefully Irvin at reasonable price points would be my goal. Drafting an OT early to compete with Bailey would be ideal.