Regarding the MVP Race

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Cam Newton because:

1) He's the QB for the team with the best record in the NFL.

2) He has a ton of momentum in winning it (which matters much more than people like to admit).

3) He's taken a pretty big jump in output this year, and if so inclined any "failures" in his numbers can be explained away by him so far being unbeaten with the worst WR corp in football and mediocrity alongside him in the backfield at RB.

I'd say he has a 90% chance of winning, with Brady and Palmer each having a 5% chance.

PROBLEMS WITH BRADY:

Deflategate is still too fresh, and injuries on the offense have hurt his performance of late.

PROBLEMS WITH PALMER:

The Cardinals were way too hot way too early, and even though Palmer level of play has remained consistently high across the year, there's a sense that as a team the Cardinals have tailed off (although TBF this is only because their level of dominance at the beginning of the year was completely unsustaniable).

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Don't disagree with anything you wrote, Popeye. Cam's only impressive numbers (to me) are in the TD and "W" column and I think that's plenty given #1 and #3.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think it'll go to Cam, and I think it's deserved unless his play really falls off these last few weeks.

I've said this before, but I don't think the stats, especially with regard to efficiency numbers, tell the entire story on Cam. He makes plays. He isn't holding onto the ball to save himself from an incompletion. He gives opportunities to his sorry group of receivers rather than taking negative plays. The receiver drops get counted against him, but that doesn't mean he's not making the best play if he's avoiding sacks and bad rushes. QB sacks taken is an underrated stat, and I think bare completion% and passer rating can be deceiving without context.

He's scored 35 touchdowns overall (28 pass; 7 rush). Palmer's got 32 TDs. Hard to argue against either, but I'm giving the edge to Newton. Done it with less.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I tend to think this thing is usually really decided by now.

So Cam.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
Cam, easily.

He makes Ginn a valuable receiving threat somehow and he is the only one to do it.

Latest posts