Misconceptions about your quarterback

ringless

Reaction score
Feel free to add yours reasons why your QB is hated (Foles, Kaep, Wilson). I know Carson Palmer gets a lot of hate. But the more I look at what he's done on his career on some very bad teams the more impressed I am.

People say he's always injured. The first time he missed a game was 2008 when he tore his ACL which was replaced with a Cadaver part (Which typically have a lifespan of around 10 years and need replacement. Since then a lot of improvements have been made in this field. It would have snapped walking down the street at some point)

He missed 6 games in 2010 due to sitting out, before being traded to Oakland. Then played all of the game that season and in 2009.

He missed 1 game during his time with Oakland.

Then played all of the 2013 season, before missing 10 games in 2014 from retearing an ACL that was going to give out anyways.

His health is way overblown. He's missed 17 games in his career in 13 seasons. People act like he goes down every other week.

They say he just sucks on this board. In the last 16 games, he is 14-2. Completing 64.2% of his passes, for 4,462 YDS. 30 TDS to 12 Interceptions. (4 came in one game) for a 97.5 Passer rating.

In the last two years he has the highest QBR out of ALL QB's in the league in the 4th Quarter.

Despite playing on a disgusting Raiders and Bengals team. He was still able to put up an average Passer rating of 86.4.
He still completed a 62.6% clip throwing for over 35k yards while throwing 227TD's to 155 INT.

The hate realistically is just because he is a QB for a rival team. Nothing else. The facts say something much different, even more so when he is on a team that actually has some talent to help him out.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly I really don't want to respond because I don't feel like getting into a "Kap sucks" argument again.

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3l7q8qlt said:
Marvin49":3l7q8qlt said:
Honestly I really don't want to respond because I don't feel like getting into a "Kap sucks" argument again.

There's no argument. He just sucks.

Case in point.

Laloosh

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":lm8wz1kr said:
Marvin49":lm8wz1kr said:

There ive said it

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I always thought Carson Palmer was an elite QB. No sense talking about it on here though. Just get scoffed at by know nothings who you accurately described as belittling him for the sole reason he's on a rival team.

kearly

Reaction score
Well, Palmer is injury prone. Not just the missing games, but also the games he plays at far less than 100%. Not mentioned in the OP, Palmer also had a devastating injury that immediately ended his season one snap into a 2005 playoff game, and it took him years to get right after that. If you look at the 32 starting QBs in the league, Palmer is at least arguably #1 for injuries and playing hurt.

He's also at an age where QBs are much more likely to be injured. We've seen a few HoFers play well after 35 lately, but historically speaking they are outliers. Most QBs crumble by age 34. Palmer is 35, and viably threatened retirement at age 31.

I think Palmer is a very good QB, not far behind Rivers and probably better than Stafford. I just think he is very likely to miss games or play hurt in every season he has left.

My QB is Russell Wilson, and I can't think of many misconceptions about him, other than the game manager label. Then again, if he plays all season like he did against the Rams in week 1, the game manager label would be spot on.

kearly

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":rzrw1902 said:
Marvin49":rzrw1902 said:

Kaep is alright. We just think he sucks because our D has his number.

Rex

Reaction score
ringless":2ifbt9hp said:
Feel free to add yours reasons why your QB is hated (Foles, Kaep, Wilson). I know Carson Palmer gets a lot of hate. But the more I look at what he's done on his career on some very bad teams the more impressed I am.

People say he's always injured. The first time he missed a game was 2008 when he tore his ACL which was replaced with a Cadaver part (Which typically have a lifespan of around 10 years and need replacement. Since then a lot of improvements have been made in this field. It would have snapped walking down the street at some point)

He missed 6 games in 2010 due to sitting out, before being traded to Oakland. Then played all of the game that season and in 2009.

He missed 1 game during his time with Oakland.

Then played all of the 2013 season, before missing 10 games in 2014 from retearing an ACL that was going to give out anyways.

His health is way overblown. He's missed 17 games in his career in 13 seasons. People act like he goes down every other week.

They say he just sucks on this board. In the last 16 games, he is 14-2. Completing 64.2% of his passes, for 4,462 YDS. 30 TDS to 12 Interceptions. (4 came in one game) for a 97.5 Passer rating.

In the last two years he has the highest QBR out of ALL QB's in the league in the 4th Quarter.

Despite playing on a disgusting Raiders and Bengals team. He was still able to put up an average Passer rating of 86.4.
He still completed a 62.6% clip throwing for over 35k yards while throwing 227TD's to 155 INT.

The hate realistically is just because he is a QB for a rival team. Nothing else. The facts say something much different, even more so when he is on a team that actually has some talent to help him out.

I don't hate CP. He's a solid QB when healthy and with competent O line and WRs. While he hasn't missed many games over 13 seasons the missed games are bunched in the last few seasons when he's costing a team in salary more than ever before.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":nnbt5igg said:
I always thought Carson Palmer was an elite QB. No sense talking about it on here though. Just get scoffed at by know nothings who you accurately described as belittling him for the sole reason he's on a rival team.

Palmer is an elite QB. In his prime he was top 5 and he's clearly top 10 when healthy.

Oh and as far as the title goes RW is mediocre 12-20 QB not worth more than 12-16 a year

hawkfan68

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":42h9zwlc said:
SalishHawkFan":42h9zwlc said:

Palmer is an elite QB. In his prime he was top 5 and he's clearly top 10 when healthy.

Oh and as far as the title goes RW is mediocre 12-20 QB not worth more than 12-16 a year

The bolded is a prime example of misconception. RW makes his share of mistakes but is far from being mediocre. If Cam Newton is a $20+M QB then RW sure as hell deserves what he's getting. Cam Newton is a poster child for a mediocre QB. What has Newton done to be worthy of his contract?

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3rkmbema said:
TheRealDTM":3rkmbema said:
SalishHawkFan":3rkmbema said:

Prime example of misconception. RW makes his share of mistakes but is far from being mediocre. If Cam Newton is a $20+M QB then RW sure as hell deserves what he's getting. Cam Newton is a poster child for a mediocre QB. What has Newton done to be worthy of his contract?

Cue ctrcat in 3, 2, 1......

ctrcat

Reaction score
Maulbert":16ppb19e said:
hawkfan68":16ppb19e said:
TheRealDTM":16ppb19e said:
SalishHawkFan":16ppb19e said:

Prime example of misconception. RW makes his share of mistakes but is far from being mediocre. If Cam Newton is a $20+M QB then RW sure as hell deserves what he's getting. Cam Newton is a poster child for a mediocre QB. What has Newton done to be worthy of his contract?

Cue ctrcat in 3, 2, 1......

Bwahaha!! Thanks. On the surface, especially for someone who hasn't watched a lot of Cam or known everything he's done for the worst franchise in the league when he got there, it's a fair question. But I don't think anyone would argue that at least one other team would have given him that amount or more.

Last Sunday's game was Exhibit A as to why Cam is unique. "Mediocre" numbers, yet completions to 9 different players, 4 drops including an easy TD by Ginn, a BS offensive PI on Olsen took a TD off the board, and 4 3rd down conversions on an 8 minute game sealing 4th quarter drive which included a laser beam to Cotchery in traffic and a back breaking 3rd and 8 scamper that mediocre players don't make. Yet, the only peep about his play was a one liner from Peter King blasting his one INT.

Obviously the misconception IMO is the fake, disingenuous, et al comments. He's still growing no doubt, but the Auburn and Carolina teammates, fans, and communities love him.

NINEster

Reaction score
The 49er fan view of Kap is simple:

He didn't look like a pro QB right until the very moment he became a starter. Even the biggest Niner homers would admit that. Loved the speed, arm, gutsy throws in the limited action he had splitting reps with Alex Smith, etc but didn't have that fluidity of other QBs.

That Chicago game and New Orleans game that won him the job was unexpected. Slinging the ball over the field in a way the niner fans haven't seen in many years. He wins three games that year where the opponent scores at least 24 points (patriots -34, packers 31, Falcons 24) and had a good SB performance.

He's a SB champ that year if the 49er defense performed closer to their first half of the season or 2011/2013.

2013 was a down year compared to 2012 (as it was for all the young QBs) but he still won two quality playoff games and came close in Seattle.

This is a legit resume.

So he benefitted a lot early on from the read option and pistol that season (as did Wilson, RG3, Cam) and had Moss and had better surrounding personnel and #1 rated run blocking OL.

He's done it before so the hope/expectation is that he can do it again.

Laloosh

Reaction score
NINEster":2obje66q said:

He didn't look like a pro QB right until the very moment he became a starter. Even the biggest Niner homers would admit that. Loved the speed, arm, gutsy throws in the limited action he had splitting reps with Alex Smith, etc but didn't have that fluidity of other QBs.

That Chicago game and New Orleans game that won him the job was unexpected. Slinging the ball over the field in a way the niner fans haven't seen in many years. He wins three games that year where the opponent scores at least 24 points (patriots -34, packers 31, Falcons 24) and had a good SB performance.

He's a SB champ that year if the 49er defense performed closer to their first half of the season or 2011/2013.

2013 was a down year compared to 2012 (as it was for all the young QBs) but he still won two quality playoff games and came close in Seattle.

This is a legit resume.

So he benefitted a lot early on from the read option and pistol that season (as did Wilson, RG3, Cam) and had Moss and had better surrounding personnel and #1 rated run blocking OL.

What about 2014? Doesn't seem to have been tied into any of the points you make so I'm curious how it ties into or impacts the points that you've made.

NINEster

Reaction score
Laloosh":rcolulk0 said:
NINEster":rcolulk0 said:

This is a legit resume.

What about 2014? Doesn't seem to have been tied into any of the points you make so I'm curious how it ties into or impacts the points that you've made.

2014 I place on coaching staff and personnel groupings.

I feel that aspect has been improved so now I place the onus on him.