Jerry Rice Drops 92 season

Popeyejones

Reaction score
So it's drops across seasons but labeled as all one year?

I guess another side issue is that all of those aren't drops; it's a mix of drops, bad throws, and good defense (knocking balls out).

More importantly, uhh, so what? Is anyone surprised that Jerry Rice dropped passes in his career? Like, really? It seems like kind of a no s**t observation.

It would be like compiling clips of Lynch getting stuffed and then saying "See, Marshawn Lynch gets stuffed!", which is fine I guess, but it doesn't mean he wasn't the best back in the NFL this year.

I guess I just kinda don't get the point, and it seems like an INCREDIBLE amount of effort to not really make a good point.

Also, why would anyone on a Hawks board even care?

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Fun facts about The GOAT* I learned this week.
He cheated.
Steve Largent didn't.
Edelman dated The GOAT*'s daughter.
The GOAT*'s daughter told like 20 people to F off on twitter this week. Classy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Do other NFL teams not have discussion boards?

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":e5wmaa70 said:

You'd think Marvin and this guy can talk about it on the 49er board?
I'm confused myself.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RationalNiner":32afhe51 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h18yQ2ndyjI

There are some extra drops there from other seasons. Any other comments, Marv?

Yup, what a total, utter, and complete waste of time.

23 years ago he dropped passes. Point? That was what...his 7th year in the league? Did the stickum stop working?

Over his career...

1549 receptions, 22892 yards, 197 TDs.

...but he needed the stickum because the dude couldn't catch. Right.

That's why he has 447 more receptions, 6961 more yards, and 41 more TDs than the next closest wide receiver in every category...and those are all different players BTW (Harrison, Owens, and Moss).

Jerry didn't have the best hands of all time (tho very, very, very good). He wasn't the fastest receiver of all time. He wasn't the best after the catch of all time (in fact I think John Taylor was better in that regard).

He was probably the best route runner of all time, possibly one of the most dedicated to his craft football players of all time (reminds me of Walter Payton in that way), and really, really good in all aspects of his game. He also had the privilege to play with Joe Montana, Steve Young, and even Rich Gannon when he was good.

There are many factors that go into Jerry being considered the GOAT, but the commentary that "he needed it" in regards to the stickum is just ludicrous.

I'm disappointed in Jerry for using it. There is a lot that can be said in regards to ways other players cheat (like silicon on linemens jerseys, etc) but I am disappointed in Jerry for using it to get an edge. I do not however really think that ALL of those numbers are a result of a spraycan.

Sorry. More Irrationality form the so called "Rational Niner".

Marvin49

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":1z0py8gt said:
Uncle Si":1z0py8gt said:

You'd think Marvin and this guy can talk about it on the 49er board?
I'm confused myself.

Sorry guys...I'll drop it. It was just too loony tunes for me not to respond.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3iliek7v said:

Yes they do but Hawk fans post so much about the 49ers here is almost like being on a 49er site. Your question reminds me of the poster creating a thread about the 49ers to complain about all the 49er threads.

You have other options. Stop complaining as if you have no choice in the matter.

OP
OP
R

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Popeyejones":8mrpfhg0 said:
More importantly, uhh, so what? Is anyone surprised that Jerry Rice dropped passes in his career? Like, really? It seems like kind of a no s**t observation.

Lol

First of all, the video is divided between 92 drops and drops from other seasons. He'll be making videos from Rice's other seasons, too. Second of all, the point of the video, from the guy who made it, is he's tired of all the 49er and NFL fans acting like Rice had the greatest hands of all time just because of him being the best overall receiver, when he really didn't. Third of all, maybe not all the passes are the best, but you know how the average PBP announcer and fan thinks, "if it hits you in the hands you must catch it."

He doesn't have bad hands. They're good enough for a receiver, but they're not elite Moss, Fitz, Carter or Reggie Wayne. There's just a misconception that Rice has the best hands of all time when it seemed like he dropped multiple balls every other week. Even Crabtree thought Rice had the best hands of all time when they asked him before he was drafted. It's just a very common misconception. The guy is making more vids, so stay tuned if you are interested.

OP
OP
R

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Marvin49":231qctct said:
RationalNiner":231qctct said:

23 years ago he dropped passes. Point? That was what...his 7th year in the league? Did the stickum stop working?

Over his career...

That's why he has 447 more receptions, 6961 more yards, and 41 more TDs than the next closest wide receiver in every category...and those are all different players BTW (Harrison, Owens, and Moss).

Jerry didn't have the best hands of all time (tho very, very, very good). He wasn't the fastest receiver of all time. He wasn't the best after the catch of all time (in fact I think John Taylor was better in that regard).

He was probably the best route runner of all time, possibly one of the most dedicated to his craft football players of all time (reminds me of Walter Payton in that way), and really, really good in all aspects of his game. He also had the privilege to play with Joe Montana, Steve Young, and even Rich Gannon when he was good.

There are many factors that go into Jerry being considered the GOAT, but the commentary that "he needed it" in regards to the stickum is just ludicrous.

I'm disappointed in Jerry for using it. There is a lot that can be said in regards to ways other players cheat (like silicon on linemens jerseys, etc) but I am disappointed in Jerry for using it to get an edge. I do not however really think that ALL of those numbers are a result of a spraycan.

Sorry. More Irrationality form the so called "Ration Niner".

Check my latest reply, homer marv. No one is arguing Rice's greatness here. But I do wonder how many extra balls he'd have dropped without the stickum.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RationalNiner":vj8h3wh8 said:
Marvin49":vj8h3wh8 said:
RationalNiner":vj8h3wh8 said:

Over his career...

Sorry. More Irrationality form the so called "Ration Niner".

Check my latest reply, homer marv. No one is arguing Rice's greatness here. But I do wonder how many extra balls he'd have dropped without the stickum.

Well, he could have dropped 446 passes for 6960 yards and 40 TDs and still be the greatest....

...so no, he didn't "need it" in regards to stickem.

Out.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin if he didn't need it ..WHY use it?It's cheating..No different than the so called hr king Bonds not needing roids to set records..Cheating taints whatever you did in any sport ..How about Lance? on and on..Sorry 49er guys you cannot sugarcoat it enough..

chris98251

Reaction score
Well considering the gloves they use now have a tacky inside grip area that limits slip it's not really much different then whats approved. If you want to go back to the old days Tatum and Biletnikoff you could throw a ball at them and it would stick to them even if it didn't hit them in the hands.

Marvin49

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1gdnlso2 said:
Marvin if he didn't need it ..WHY use it?It's cheating..No different than the so called hr king Bonds not needing roids to set records..Cheating taints whatever you did in any sport ..How about Lance? on and on..Sorry 49er guys you cannot sugarcoat it enough..

?

Sugarcoat? Who's sugarcoating? I'm pissed that he did it. Jerry drives me crazy whenever he opens his mouth. As great a player as he was, he was always a bit of an a$$. That's partially what made him great. Michael Jordan was the same way.

...and to answer your question players use things all the time to try to give them an edge...doesn't mean they need it or wouldn't be any good without it.

Is it cheating? Yup. No denials here. No "everyone was doing it" excuses. It could be true that they were, but that really isn't the point nor was it a justification.

Bottom line to me though...he's the GOAT. He will always be the GOAT even if someone reveals that he secretly installed invisible Dr. Octopus arms. If peeps choose to now label him a cheater and somehow ignore all of his accomplishments...hey man, that's on you.

His records are SOOOOOOO far ahead of everyone behind him and he played in an era where it was SOOO much harder to compile those numbers. The three guys behind him in all those NFL statistical Categories (Gonzalez, TO, Moss) are all retired. Nobody is going to catch him for a good, long time. That isn't the result of nothing but sticky fingers.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I could go by what Chris said about modern gloves being about what Rice did with the old style gloves ect..It's all pansy crap to me.Cannot recall Seattles greatest wr needing gloves .I guess I'm sick of cheating for glory and yeah he should have just kept his mouth shut .I have a hard time thinking he's GOAT but yeah he is far ahead..He played a very long time and trained hard..Had 2 hof qbs but he just needed to deflate -oops ..Sticky em up to make most of his catches..I understand what your trying to say Marv but I sure view him differently now..

Popeyejones

Reaction score
RationalNiner":3sgchsyu said:
Popeyejones":3sgchsyu said:

Lol

First of all, the video is divided between 92 drops and drops from other seasons. He'll be making videos from Rice's other seasons, too. Second of all, the point of the video, from the guy who made it, is he's tired of all the 49er and NFL fans acting like Rice had the greatest hands of all time just because of him being the best overall receiver, when he really didn't. Third of all, maybe not all the passes are the best, but you know how the average PBP announcer and fan thinks, "if it hits you in the hands you must catch it."

He doesn't have bad hands. They're good enough for a receiver, but they're not elite Moss, Fitz, Carter or Reggie Wayne. There's just a misconception that Rice has the best hands of all time when it seemed like he dropped multiple balls every other week. Even Crabtree thought Rice had the best hands of all time when they asked him before he was drafted. It's just a very common misconception. The guy is making more vids, so stay tuned if you are interested.

I guess my comments are kind of colored by not really thinking it's an interesting question (or one that anyone really cares about; secondary things like "best hands" or "strongest arm" or "hardest hitter" or "best deep threat" are really only things people argue about for players that aren't in the "best ever" conversation.

That said, your friend also doesn't seem to really be that interested in if Jerry Rice has the best hands of all time or not.
He's spent a ton of time compiling passes that Rice dropped. That doesn't tell us anything about if Rice had better hands than Wayne, or Fitz, or Carter. It just tells us that Jerry Rice dropped passes (something that, him being a WR and all, everyone knows). What from this tells us if Rice had better or worse hands than any of these other guys? They all drop passes too across their long and great careers.

It seems like your friend just has a bizarre bone to pick with people saying Rice had amazing hands, and is going to a lot of effort to make a kind of weak argument against that (IMO) ultimately pretty meaningless topic.

All that and I'm not sure why it's on a Hawks board. :)

(FWIW I've never really thought about it before, but I don't personally think Rice had the best hands of all time).

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hmm well I guess Walsh was a cheater too then. Must suck to be a fan of an organization steeped in cheating but then we've all known about getting caught cheating on multiple occasions that actually cost the 49ers draft picks so it's not anything new to hear that Walsh and Rice were cheaters too.

OP
OP
R

RationalNiner

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1fo222lo said:
It seems like your friend just has a bizarre bone to pick with people saying Rice had amazing hands, and is going to a lot of effort to make a kind of weak argument against that (IMO) ultimately pretty meaningless topic.

All that and I'm not sure why it's on a Hawks board. :)

(FWIW I've never really thought about it before, but I don't personally think Rice had the best hands of all time).

I assure you, not the one who made the vid. Yeah, he obsesses over trivial things.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":2nsyx7n2 said:
Well considering the gloves they use now have a tacky inside grip area that limits slip it's not really much different then whats approved. If you want to go back to the old days Tatum and Biletnikoff you could throw a ball at them and it would stick to them even if it didn't hit them in the hands.
We had tackified gloves back in the mid 1980's when I played in highschool, though I am sure technology has improved. Oh and, you left out Lester Hayes who's uniform and helmet was covered in stick'em,