Honest opinion of the play that shocked a nation.

worstsbcalleva

Reaction score
Would i have called it if i were a coach or coordinator? No way.

3 feet and Marshawn i like those odds.

However!!

A pass play was the right call for the defensive alignment.

a fade to the endzone corner yes
a nice hook play where the ball sails out of bounds if you dont catch it at the pylon yes
anything other than that slant yes

The problem with that play was execution.

Wilson had his eyes locked on the receiver.
The ball was delivered too high. In his gut it goes for a completion or at best America's new hero Malcolm just knocks it away.

Sadly if Wilson faked that pass and ran it he scores.

Bellichick practiced that play in his preperation leading up to the Superbowl so they knew what was coming.

I as a Patriots fan believed that the Seahawks were going to repeat.

Had you offereed the scenario that the Seahawks were in right there I believe they score 99 times out of 100.

So in summation.

A pass was the right call considering the defense. Bad execution cost the Seahawks the game. Malcolm made an outstanding play because he had practiced it.

Conclusion!!

Carroll was out coached for the last 25 seconds of the Superbowl.

Discuss. I'd like your opinions please especially if you think differently.

marko358

Reaction score
As stated on here approximately 6426 times, that particular pass play was probably the worst one you could have called. No reason to rely on your #4 undrafted receiver to make a play. If you're going to pass, use play action or roll out and give Wilson the option to throw it away if he doesn't like what he sees.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting points! This is the first time I've heard them made!

OP
OP
worstsbcalleva

worstsbcalleva

Reaction score
86 mets/sox
2007 pats/giants
2011 pats /giants

defeat snatched from the jaws ....or ehherm talons in the seahawks case.......of victory

This will be talked about forever.

chris98251

Reaction score
Worst possible call in that situation is agreed upon, you don't have to sell it, not that it was a pass, many here would have trusted our strength and let Beast run it and dare you to stop it, I would have run a counter to pull the Defense to a whole and hit another, or fake and let Wilson simply spin and dive in that 3 feet. The Pats would have sold all out to group and stymie Lynch leaving a chasm for Wilson to go thru.

But as you stated anything but a inside slant or a crossing pattern in the back of the end zone, anything that kept the chance of a tip or a step in front of play, jump ball with Matthews or Lockette in the back corner or a fade or a roll out drag route.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
You would think the pats fans would finally migrate back to their sites...then again their sb win is already likely forgotten...

OP
OP
worstsbcalleva

worstsbcalleva

Reaction score
I camped out on the Eagles boards after we beat them down for the Superbowl win for quite a while. This is my new home.

chris98251

Reaction score
worstsbcalleva":1vjw3569 said:
I camped out on the Eagles boards after we beat them down for the Superbowl win for quite a while. This is my new home.

Ahhh cool my adopted Pats fan, my adopted fans don't seem to last long though.

RedAlice

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":3v8mnstc said:
Hmm, interesting points! This is the first time I've heard them made!

I read the join date and skipped reading the post.

TAB420

Reaction score
worstsbcalleva":aoyark53 said:
86 mets/sox
2007 pats/giants
2011 pats /giants

defeat snatched from the jaws ....or ehherm talons in the seahawks case.......of victory

Maybe we should invite some Giants fans over, to even things out, since they kicked your a$$ twice in the SB..lol

RedAlice

Reaction score
TAB420":3otuehzt said:
worstsbcalleva":3otuehzt said:
86 mets/sox
2007 pats/giants
2011 pats /giants

Maybe we should invite some Giants fans over, to even things out, since they kicked your a$$ twice in the SB..lol

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

BASF

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3c8po5bf said:
Added to the foe list

Seconded, but it is interesting that the OP left out the most important part of a quick slant, the throwing lane created by the guard and tackle. It seems as though NFL fans simply do not understand the dynamic. The worst execution on that play was by JR Sweezy and yet no one brings it up at all. Very weird.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
worstsbcalleva":2qus8icr said:

You sound like a real cool guy.

Jesus the internet

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
chris98251":2gcuhex6 said:
worstsbcalleva":2gcuhex6 said:

Ahhh cool my adopted Pats fan, my adopted fans don't seem to last long though.

Just ban him. What good is he to us?

OP
OP
worstsbcalleva

worstsbcalleva

Reaction score
I know you are a fan ZEB deep down. What fun is debating with people who all have the same opinion...jaded as it might be. preaching to the choir is perty boring. i for one am interested in what the Seahawks do this off season so that's why i'm here. I fully expect a rematch in the next Superbowl. It all hinges on the moves both teams make.

Zeb is my numberr one fan!!!

Latest posts