NFL Extra Point/Field Goal rules.

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
I've been thinking quite a bit about this since watching the Pro Bowl, and I'd like to hear some other opinions on the matter from people with football knowledge.

So, is anyone in favor of adopting any of the new rules? (For instance, narrower uprights, further extra point distance...?)

I, for one, am in favor of the 14 foot wide goal posts as opposed to the 18 feet. I'm not in favor of moving the extra point back.

I think the slightly narrower goal posts is something that should be considered for adopting into the regular rules of the game. I don't have any stats to back this up, but it seems like kicking percentages are much higher than they've been compared to just a few decades ago. Kickers have gotten so good at specializing in their jobs that I think some tougher rules would be a welcome change.

I don't think it would (nor want it to) affect the game TOO much. But I really like the idea of emphasizing touchdowns over field goals and really making for some tougher coaching decisions regarding going for it on 4th down when you're at the 25 - 40 yard line of your opponent.

I think 4th down attempts are more exciting than watching Mason Crosby, or whomever, drill an easy one through the uprights.

Now, I don't favor moving the extra point back. I think the narrower posts will be just enough of what Goodell seems to be looking for, which is: slightly more two-point conversion attempts to spice up the game. Because, in a game, even if one extra point is missed it usually means someone needs to attempt a two point conversion at some point to get the score back on track.

What do you guys think?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I say leave the game alone...no need to change it imo. We do not want the NFL to become the NHL which has become an unwatchable product. If it aint broke don't fix it!

korboko

Reaction score
I have a question... Would the game be exciting if there were no field goals? Take away the option to score three points and have the teams just score touchdowns throughout the whole game. Would we see more low scored games?

Msfann

Reaction score
Make the goal posts move back and forth like in a skills challenge. Lets see how good these kickers are.

homerun1970

Reaction score
Narrow the uprights making it harder to score after about ten years of trying to handcuff defenses to make the game higher scoring. It makes no sense to change the most successful league going just to say your changing.

OP
OP
SeeHawkRun

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
korboko":7a07j2sr said:
I have a question... Would the game be exciting if there were no field goals? Take away the option to score three points and have the teams just score touchdowns throughout the whole game. Would we see more low scored games?

Games would definitely be lower scoring. But I don't like the idea to remove field goals entirely. I just think too many kickers are too good from too far away. Getting three instead of six is a good reward for advancing deep into the enemy territory. But getting three from 50+ yards is too high a percentage, I think.

On a slightly related note, I still dislike the kickoff being at the 35 instead of the 30. Too many touchbacks. Then commercial break. Boring.

OP
OP
SeeHawkRun

SeeHawkRun

Reaction score
homerun1970":28klqnpy said:
Narrow the uprights making it harder to score after about ten years of trying to handcuff defenses to make the game higher scoring. It makes no sense to change the most successful league going just to say your changing.

Well, it wouldn't be "just to say {I'm} changing it." I had reasons, and my opinion is listed in my first post. I guess I'm just not necessarily a fan of "handcuffing" defenses and making the game higher scoring.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
I am all for the narrower uprights.

I would also like to see the hashes for kickers get wider the closer you get to the endzone, so the angles become more difficult. Something like this:

Xc2nr

rjas77

Reaction score
My FIL talked about this a couple years ago. he suggested that each team would only be allowed two successful FG during regulation and one in OT. That would definitely add spice

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Remember how awful football's been lately? Yeah, me neither. Leave it alone. All of it.

endzorn

Reaction score
I want to see two of the teams cheerleaders meet at the 50 and swing pick axes at each other until one is dead. This has nothing to do with field goals, I just want to see it for my own entertainment.

endzorn

Reaction score
I would also like to see Andy Reid riding Jamaal Charles like a donkey and jousting Bill Belichick riding Julian Edelman

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think every member of the super bowl winning team should get to kick Rog square in the man marbles on national TV! Every year! :th2thumbs:

canfan

Reaction score
Stop messing with the goalposts....it will only give the Patriots more ideas.

lucky49

Reaction score
i don't really know about narrowing the goalposts. i can't think of any reason not to exactly, but i also can't think of a reason it would benefit anything.

moving back the extra point seems ridiculous. you shouldn't have to get a touchdown AND a field goal to get 7 points. Extra points being given kind of just makes sense.

ringless

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1ubaeoev said:
I am all for the narrower uprights.

I would also like to see the hashes for kickers get wider the closer you get to the endzone, so the angles become more difficult. Something like this:

Xc2nr

I watch NRL Australian Rugby and they have rule similar to this, on touchdowns the farther the score from the goal post they have to kick it from the same angle. It makes some kicks really interesting

Latest posts