Any chance we go after Maclin?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I think part of the reason WR become shadows of their old self when they come here is partly because of the system they are asked to run. I think I would much rather draft a later round project, skip the WR FA market, and roll with Kearse, Baldwin, Norwood, Prich, Lockette, etc.

kearly

Reaction score
We already have a bajillion receivers like Maclin, who will re-up in Philly without a doubt.

Dez Bryant is who we need, but it will never happen. He'll never hit FA, and even if he did, the Hawks don't have the cap space, and even if they did, I don't think Seattle could get him the stats he'd need to avoid Dez diva mode.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
kearly":m280vc95 said:
We already have a bajillion receivers like Maclin, who will re-up in Philly without a doubt.

Dez Bryant is who we need, but it will never happen. He'll never hit FA, and even if he did, the Hawks don't have the cap space, and even if they did, I don't think Seattle could get him the stats he'd need to avoid Dez diva mode.

I would give my left nut to ensure the Dez was NOT on this team. The reasons we won the superbowl are all the things that Dez lacks. Consistency, determination, hard work, etc etc. And on top of that, Sydney Rice got caught throwing his mouthpiece in frustration at Wilson one time and was pretty much benched the rest of the game. Dez throws so many fits he would probably never see the field, at the coaches own discretion lol.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Unless we turn into a team that passes more on the regular, there is no point in pursuing any WRs besides cheap ones.

Mick063

Reaction score
Can he block like Lockette?

I would be more excited about available punt returners.

Tical21

Reaction score
I really like Maclin. I think he is at a level above and beyond anything we have here. However, I think we just spent our way out of any WR sweepstakes.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
Seattle doesn't need more shifty type WRs. They need tall WRs who can out jump DBs, are redzone threats, and actually need to have coverage rolled to them. A true legit #1 NFL WR.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
If any of you think Megatron or Dez Bryant or AJ Green wouldn't be worthwhile then you must be taking full advantage of our new laws in this state.

ManBunts

Reaction score
bbsplitter":3644n6pj said:
kearly":3644n6pj said:

I would give my left nut to ensure the Dez was NOT on this team. The reasons we won the superbowl are all the things that Dez lacks. Consistency, determination, hard work, etc etc. And on top of that, Sydney Rice got caught throwing his mouthpiece in frustration at Wilson one time and was pretty much benched the rest of the game. Dez throws so many fits he would probably never see the field, at the coaches own discretion lol.

I might've agreed at one point, but Dez seems to have turned it around. He could've dragged that team down in contract negotations but opted to set them aside and focus on playing this year. And all his "tantrums" this year have been him trying to pump up his team or getting frustrated that they weren't doing well. Reasonable things in the world of sports. Heck, Lynch was immature too when he started. Look what we did with him.

That said, he's out of our price range, and our offense isn't the kind he'd flourish in. It would be money better spent elsewhere. Look what we can do when Wilson has time! If I had to take something from the Cowboys it would be that offensive line. Good god, Romo has enough time back there to do his taxes and take a nap before throwing the ball.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Tired of watching us waste money on receivers.

Would rather see us use our first round pick on a guy for once.

Otherwise I would go for someone that won't be a huge cap hit.

I know this won't be popular but there's a guy in SF who's 'mediocre' enough to not command too much money and could use a good Qb throwing him the ball...ahem.

Torrey Smith is a guy i also wouldn't mind looking at if Baltimore doesn't lock him up. He has a great attitude and by all accounts is an amazing teammate.

Also have to remember Kearse is a FA next year and we'll have to make a decision on him. He won't be a huge contract but he'll be significantly more than he is now to keep. He's restricted but we don't seem to leave guys hanging out there RFA unless we plan on making a deal eventually.

Julius Thomas and Jordan Cameron aren't likely to hit the market but if they do they could be options.

I've also wondered out loud here before how Luke Willson would look as a receiver rather than a TE. The speed he has and displayed the other night along with his size would make sense. he's not the greatest blocker. We need our TE's to protect so much until we can sort out this line that i'd rather we pick up the best blocking TE we can (while hoping zach miller stays healthy) and trying luke on the outside a bit.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think it's unlikely. I think we draft another WR in the first three rounds and call it a day at that position. Kearse is a RFA, if I recall correctly, so I think they'd ride with Rookie/Baldwin/Kearse/Richardson/Lockette and some competition for a sixth WR spot and be happy with it.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
At this point, I think Seattle can only justify spending or drafting high on a WR if it is convinced he is a true #1. I am not convinced Maclin is that guy. He is certainly a good, sure-handed player, but his numbers are also being propped up by a hurry-up offense and the void left by Desean Jackson's departure.

This team is already loaded with 6'0"-ish WR2s. IMO, that is what Maclin is.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3p15yapw said:
At this point, I think Seattle can only justify spending or drafting high on a WR if it is convinced he is a true #1. I am not convinced Maclin is that guy. He is certainly a good, sure-handed player, but his numbers are also being propped up by a hurry-up offense and the void left by Desean Jackson's departure.

This team is already loaded with 6'0"-ish WR2s. IMO, that is what Maclin is.

Yep, I don't think Maclin would add a whole lot to this team. I think we look to the draft or try and get Vincent Jackson a ring on the cheap. I know Seattle's not an ideal destination for receivers but Jackson's been superseded by Mike Evans in Tampa and yet is still set to go over 1000 receiving yards with likely less than 75 receptions - a target that I think he could conceivably achieve with Seattle.

Or we take a punt on Blackmon in Jax. He'd cost a lot less and if he gets it together then our WR group would start to look like a strength. I wouldn't have thought he'd command more than a 6th round draft pick.

Tical21

Reaction score
I added Torry Smith in my Madden franchise simulation and he caught 15 TD's for me. How about Garcon?

chris98251

Reaction score
If we "GO AFTER" a WR, he better be the 6'4" 250ish long armed with 4.4 speed freak that catches the ball naturally and runs great routes.

Now how many draft picks do you want to give up to move up the board for this guy. Projects will be available but we are getting to where projects are for depth not to take roster spots now. Were in year 5 and we are not in the developing mode as much as the now mode unless it's a very special case.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
My wishful thinking includes Fitz being cut and signing a moderate deal, something like 3 years $15m. He would provide that missing red zone element for us.

jake206

Reaction score
If they have any cap room, I would rather they spend on TE...like Jordan Cameron.