10-6 will not be easy and may not be enough

StoneCold

Reaction score
Looking at our schedule if we beat Oak, NYG, split with the Cards and the 9'ers and win one of the Philly/Chiefs games and beat St Louis at home we go 10 and 6. That sounds like a pretty tough row to hoe and I'm not sure it will be enough to get in the playoffs. Dallas, Philly, Detroit and Green bay all have better records than us, not to mention Arizona. Hawks have very little margin for error. I guess that's why it's so hard to repeat.

SC

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
StoneCold":1a3addg1 said:
Looking at our schedule if we beat Oak, NYG, split with the Cards and the 9'ers and win one of the Philly/Chiefs games and beat St Louis at home we go 10 and 6. That sounds like a pretty tough row to hoe and I'm not sure it will be enough to get in the playoffs. Dallas, Philly, Detroit and Green bay all have better records than us, not to mention Arizona. Hawks have very little margin for error. I guess that's why it's so hard to repeat.

SC
Next 3 games are pretty big (Raiders, Giants, Chiefs) win those and 11-5 while winning the division is realistic given we're a bad matchup for Philadelphia and they're starting to fall a bit like they usually do as the weather turns. The last 6 games are a meatgrinder for all three of us so I have a hard time seeing any of us posting 12-13 wins at this point.

Polaris

Reaction score
StoneCold":2ennzk3z said:

SC

One game at a time. I remember that record aside, the 'hawks weren't exactly superbowl juggernauts this time last year either. I think we'll be fine. Remember that up to this point Seattle has had one of the most (by DVOA the most) brutal schedule in the NFL. It gets a lot easier from here on out, at least hypothetically.

RCATES

Reaction score
10-6 should be enough to take a wild card position. 10-6 can win the division imo as well. If Seattle wins out at home and sweeps the Cardinals they will win the division at 10-6.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think 10-6 makes it. Historically its a safe bet. 9-7 now that a crapshoot. The season is still young we are getting players back and playing better. A lot can happen between now and then. Still have a lot of respect for SF

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Unlike to the 2 posters above me, I think it may well take 11-5. As Kearly said after the St. Louis game, it may well be the one we look back on as the one that cost the Hawks the playoffs. I'm worried he might well be correct.

Jville

Reaction score
I'm content to enjoy the season one week at a time .... and .... one game at a time.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
They lost to the Rams.

The Rams.

So yes, they should have to make up for that. They gave away a free win because the coaches failed them.

I think losing to the Rams pretty much disqualifies you from even thinking you deserve to make the playoffs. Now you have to scratch your way back in. No, 10-6 won't do. You need to win more than you are supposed to in order to make up for the braindead performance in St. Louis.

They have to win 2 of 3 in the 49ers, Eagles, 49ers row (hard to imagine but possible) and sweep the Cards or split the Cards and beat the Chiefs, Giants AND Raiders.

Of course if they lose to the Raiders they should just close all the doors then. Losing to the Raiders would mean the season is over, but for the paperwork.

Either way, they have a tall mountain to climb with a less than 10% shot at doing it - but it is possible.

nsport

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":zycneddf said:
They lost to the Rams.

Shit happens. The Cowboys lost to the Redskins. We beat the Broncos and Packers. But lost to STL, Dallas, and San Diego. Out of those three losses, I'd say we probably should have won 2 if not for crazy circumstances.

One game at a time is the right approach. 10 wins should make the playoffs. 11 or more starts to get interesting.

Keep healthy. Keep improving. And enough with the dumb presnap penalties.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
In the voice of Kwai Chang Caine. "It is possible...to both...look ahead...and enjoy each game...as it comes."

While I am speculating about likely outcomes I will still watch each game and enjoy how it all unfolds.

SC

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
10-6 could win this division, but yes probably not good enough for a wildcard.

I don't see either the Cards or Niners running away with the division. The Cards have a brutal schedule coming up, including some really pissed off Cowboys next week.

IMO it's going to come down to which of the three teams can win the most divisional games, and so far we're in the hole.

Mojambo

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I'm definitely sure we should feel bad about it as much as we possibly can.

That's the way of the Twelve.

RCATES

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3g7yhii1 said:
They lost to the Rams.

The Rams.

So yes, they should have to make up for that. They gave away a free win because the coaches failed them.

I think losing to the Rams pretty much disqualifies you from even thinking you deserve to make the playoffs. Now you have to scratch your way back in. No, 10-6 won't do. You need to win more than you are supposed to in order to make up for the braindead performance in St. Louis.

They have to win 2 of 3 in the 49ers, Eagles, 49ers row (hard to imagine but possible) and sweep the Cards or split the Cards and beat the Chiefs, Giants AND Raiders.

Of course if they lose to the Raiders they should just close all the doors then. Losing to the Raiders would mean the season is over, but for the paperwork.

Either way, they have a tall mountain to climb with a less than 10% shot at doing it - but it is possible.

Lol at this logic. We should have lost to the rams last year. And barely beat the Bucs here at home. How did last year turn out?

Chawks1

Reaction score
StoneCold":210e9g0k said:

SC

I agree. We could be the 2013 version of the AZ Cardinals and go 10-6 and miss the playoffs. I think we will split with AZ & SC. That means we need to win out against Oak, NYG, Philly, KC, and STL to get to 11-5. Tall order indeed.

December will be brutal so we have to put together a strong stretch in November to set ourselves up for success.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":dirl6jt9 said:

Less than 10%?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
A lot of the teams also vying for Wild Cards though will be beating up on other NFC playoff contenders too.

Detroit is a good team, not a great team and their next stretch after their BYE is to play Miami, @ Arizona and @ New England, not to mention another game @ Green Bay

Green Bay as well, have to play New England, Philadelphia and Buffalo (plus Detroit)

Arizona has to play Dallas, Detroit, Kansas City, San Fran and Seattle twice

San Fran has to still play San Diego, Seattle twice, Arizona and New Orleans

Philly has to play Green Bay, Dallas twice, Seattle, and @ Houston

A lot of potential losses to be spread around. Still not convinced that any NFC team is heads and shoulders better than we are, and thus I see a lot of teams probably hovering around 10-6 or 11-5 by the end of the year. Who in the NFC is going to even get to 13 wins?

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'm not worried. We all knew the odds of going back to back were astronomical. What scares most fan bases about the dreaded SB hangover is the loss of very key players combined with aging, over-paid vets. I believe we will "repeat" (by definition). Turmoil and a few ill-advised maneuvers have definitely created something of a set back in Seattle in '14, but I do believe it's temporary and with a strong draft / off-season, I think this team will come out of the gate next year with it's hair on fire.

As competitive as our players are, it would only be human nature for them to think (to themselves) "well, at least we won one". I say that everyday. But I have a hunch, as this still young team watches a different team raise that Lombardi this year, a fire will start burning within them, again.

Our weakness' are definitely pronounced so we won't be wasting much time trying to figure out 'where it all went wrong' and while "we don't do that" in Seattle, I beg the FO to trade up and grab the best O lineman (men) we can secure without sacrificing our entire draft. Then we need to look at D-line rotational help later or in FA. With that work done, I would definitely make us the odds on favorite to repeat in 2015 and I'd be much more comfortable with the possibility of us going back to back, adding another in '16. then up pops the D word (if we do). Go Hawks!

James in PA

Reaction score
The way I look at it is this: We need to take care of "bidness" at home and go no worse than 2-2 in road games at KC, Philly, Arizona, and Santa Clara. Tough task but not impossible. I agree with those who say 10-6 won't even get a wildcard. Arizona last year anyone? I could see that happening again in the NFC this year.

Latest posts