Did Russell "take a lot of hits" in this game?

ivotuk

Reaction score
I haven't rewatched it yet, but every break down I watch they are saying "Russell Wilson cannot continue to take these hits."

I don't remember him taking a bunch of hits, maybe one or two. Thoughts?

liftingaddict

Reaction score
It wasn't so much that he got hit alot, it was more that the ones he took, he got smacked pretty good.

WendellWent

Reaction score
He took more than normal, more hanging in to throw than running. He got driven into ground onto his shoulders more than once, and took a nice shot to the head as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
He certainly took more than usual, with all the running and scrambling he did.

Wilson said after the game that he only took one hit that hurt, but I counted at least 4-5 hard hits that he was slow to get up from.

Bottom line is someone else needs to make plays and take some of the pressure off Russell. Yeah he had an amazing game, but it's not the way we want to win every week with him having to run for 100 yards.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":399d0ox8 said:

Wilson said after the game that he only took one hit that hurt, but I counted at least 4-5 hard hits that he was slow to get up from.

Bottom line is someone else needs to make plays and take some of the pressure off Russell. Yeah he had an amazing game, but it's not the way we want to win every week with him having to run for 100 yards.

That should be the offensive line, who put the "offensive" in to our offense. They should be ashamed of themselves for how poorly they played and how they let their Quarterback and Running Back get hit.

FIVE guys not doing their job....I hope Tom Cable rips them a new one, if he doesn't, he's not worth a shit.

HHawk121

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":g9j5zbjf said:

He almost NEVER takes a hit when he runs. The obvious fallacy in your argument is that staying in the pocket will keep him clean.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
In the part of the game I saw, Russell was breaking off these long runs and getting away almost untouched out of bounds or sliding. He doesn't have to stay in the pocket for somebody to take the pressure off--in fact staying in the pocket would eliminate the strongest part of his game. He can roll out and scramble and get a pass off without getting hit.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I know this will start fires. But I loved that energy and that mentality from Russ, that he wasn't going to back down and fight for the yardage.

Its highly viotile but at the same time he isn't a 6'5 QB that bends in half... the guy is extremely athletic, very well built, and is compact to absorbs hits like an RB.

So when I see him take big shots the cringe factor isn't high for me.

Obviously, I know its key for wanting to protect your QB and keep him from taking unneccessary hits but at the same time its football and I wouldn't mind seeing that warrior mentality from Russ as leading by example.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
He took two hits that were rather hard from what I recall. What do we expect? He had to carry the offense all night because our offensive line decided that pass protection and disciplined play are merely occasionally useful side benefits in their job descriptions.

hawk45

Reaction score
TBH where I'm at with the offensive line is I no longer want Russell dropping back to pass on 3rd and long in the standard way. Roll him out every time, throw a screen, even if defenses know it won't be a standard drop-back I don't care, the chances of success will still be greater than they would be trusting that line to pick up a blitz or function in obvious pass situations.

Russ holds the ball a bit not wanting to turn it over and extending plays, but I'm not talking sack numbers here. I don't care and don't fault the OL on those plays when Russ leaves the pocket when he really doesn't have to. But there are multiple times where guys come straight at Russ and collapse the pocket instantly and put him in mortal jeopardy, and I'm capable of telling the difference.

I want Bevell and Pete to just give up on pass pro period. On third down to start with at any rate, maybe sprinkling in a dropback on 3rd and long after not showing it for 2 or 3 quarters. Anything else is denial IMO.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2442lpn8 said:
I know this will start fires. But I loved that energy and that mentality from Russ, that he wasn't going to back down and fight for the yardage.

Its highly viotile but at the same time he isn't a 6'5 QB that bends in half... the guy is extremely athletic, very well built, and is compact to absorbs hits like an RB.

So when I see him take big shots the cringe factor isn't high for me.

Obviously, I know its key for wanting to protect your QB and keep him from taking unneccessary hits but at the same time its football and I wouldn't mind seeing that warrior mentality from Russ as leading by example.
I am of a similar mind on this. I think of Russell as a football player first, and a quarterback second. Most QBs have an aura of breakability, at least to some degree. I'd put Russell #1 in the NFL as far as toughness for QBs. Kaep is up there. Newton was, but he's dinged now.

As old as Peyton is, he never comes out of games even when he takes the rare hard hit. Of course, his game is all about avoiding contact, so I think of him more as dependable than tough. That goes for Brady and Brees as well. Rodgers, Romo, and Roethlisberger can take a hit, but they've all been sidelined and patched up to various degrees and I don't think of them so much as dishing it out. Rivers doesn't miss games and he's fiery; he's got some toughness to him.

But can anyone else think of a QB in the League who throws a stiff arm like Russell?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Watch the post game where Russell walks out on the field grabs the mike and steals the show. He said he did take one big hit but he was alert and fine after the game. Pumped up even. It seemed like he could have tee'd it up and played again.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
It looked like the biggest shot he took was on the TD bomb he threw to Harvin that was called back. He got up quickly though and showed no sign of it afterwards.
On one of those early scrambles he showcased his stiff arm paw pretty nicely.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HHawk121":3gpxrrkf said:
Sgt. Largent":3gpxrrkf said:

He almost NEVER takes a hit when he runs. The obvious fallacy in your argument is that staying in the pocket will keep him clean.

I never said staying in the pocket keeps him clean, our terrible pass protection is well documented.

But running a lot also doesn't keep him clean. Especially if he's running desperately to get a first down, because it means he can't slide and therefore takes hits.

My point is what we saw Monday should not be the game plan every single week, as it puts too much emphasis on Russell running, which is not a good thing to do all the time.

kearly

Reaction score
There was only one ugly hit that Wilson took, and that was on a running play where Washington hit Wilson illegally and got away with it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Basis4day":1nj1d51u said:
He gets his worst hits in the pocket.

Not in the pocket per se, but definitely behind the LOS. He's best in the business IMO at protecting himself once he's past the LOS (Kap, in contrast, is pretty bad) and it's a ton of fun to watch him avoid hits on scrambles and designed runs, but behind the LOS he way too regularly let's himself get hammered while trying to loop around back out of the top of the pocket, or trying to knife through it from the top of it when his read isn't there.

For how in control he is as a runner past the LOS (honestly, the best I've ever seen from the QB spot), it is kinda bizarre how out of control he is as a runner behind the LOS (although TBF, you can't knock him for not winning that way, as he does, regularly.)

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Basis4day":r1okz5mb said:
He gets his worst hits in the pocket.

And ironically people want him to stay in that abortion they call a pocket. Maybe when Okung's foot start doing better we might start seeing that..Britt's progression notwithstanding.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HHawk121":2dn3stc6 said:
Sgt. Largent":2dn3stc6 said:

Agreed. He took one good hit while running. He took at least 4 that I counted while staying in the pocket (or at least throwing a pass) where he got drilled into the ground and a guy fell on top of him. He doesn't get those when running.