Healthy C Mike still can't crack the gameday actives

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Yes another weekly "Why doesn't CMike play?" thread, sorry.

Year 2 for C Mike is starting to feel a whole lot like year 1. Lynch is the bellcow, Turbin is the backup as we all know. At some point C Mike is going to have force his way on the field. He can't just wait for an injury. For a team that loves to run as much as the Seahawks, C Mike must be doing something to really squander his opportunity. I truly believe they would work the gameday roster to get him active as the 3rd RB if he gave them a reason to. I guess he hasn't yet. Bummer, I hope that pick doesn't turn out to be a total waste.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The problem this year is it seems like every game we've had to activate an extra TE or O-lineman because someone's hurt or dinged up (and Walter's taking up a roster spot because we need him to return punts).

If everyone was healthy, then Pete might have the luxury of activating all three RB's, which would mean if we have nice lead, there's a series or two for C-Mike in the 2nd half.

Jville

Reaction score
There is the Ricardo Lockette route and example. Special Teams offers a multitude of specific straight forward assignments.

Basis4day

Reaction score
The 46 man roster rule is very frustrating.

I don't see who they can sit to make room for him. Someone on the O-Line is always nicked up and each of the WR offers something that the others don't. Richardson is the closest thing right now to expendable, but if he was inactive you would get the same questions and the same answers as Michael gets.

You can't sit Harvin, Baldwin and Kearse earned their spots, Lockette is a monster gunner, and we need Walters to return punts. And that still leaves Norwood on the bench along with Michael.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Maybe the situation is not as complicated as we can make it out to be.

I'd guess CMike would be getting (more) carries on almost any other NFL team right now, and he'd possibly be a featured RB for some. In the scheme and depth chart he's in, it may just be a tough one to crack. I don't think that means he's a bust. It means we'll have to wait and see (and that's obviously the hard part).

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3a6z7wm0 said:
The problem this year is it seems like every game we've had to activate an extra TE or O-lineman because someone's hurt or dinged up (and Walter's taking up a roster spot because we need him to return punts).

If everyone was healthy, then Pete might have the luxury of activating all three RB's, which would mean if we have nice lead, there's a series or two for C-Mike in the 2nd half.

Well thats just the thing, if Cmike cant even beat out Turbin, a well below average backup RB, what is he really doing?

kearly

Reaction score
I don't get it either, but there is something to be said for Turbin's ability to avoid the negative rush and to hold onto the ball. Coaches tend to obsess over those kind of things more than fans do.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He doesn't play ST while we have two depth WRs who play crucial roles in ST (Lockette and Walters). That's essentially all this comes down to. Even if the coaches loved C-Mike, who do you take off the gameday roster so he can dress for a handful of snaps?

One of our only two TEs? Our punt returner? Our top gunner? They won't go short on back-up OL -- too risky. This is why the ability to play ST is so important for any back-up player. You could be the most special RB3 in the NFL, but if you can't play ST, there just isn't enough space for you on Seattle's gameday roster.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Turbin is probably what the coaches want in a 3rd down/2-minute RB. Pass protects, no negative plays, doesn't fumble. Even if we could establish that C-Mike is a better runner, that doesn't necessarily make him ideal for Turbin's role. And there's still a huge gap between Lynch and C-Mike, so splitting reps there doesn't make much sense to me (unless Lynch is hurt).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1ptv6fpz said:
Sgt. Largent":1ptv6fpz said:

Well thats just the thing, if Cmike cant even beat out Turbin, a well below average backup RB, what is he really doing?

He's getting dinged up and fumbling in preseason, and not perfecting his pass protection assignments..........that's what he's doing.

Pete doesn't care about upside or who has more pure talent, he has a role for every position on his team, and whoever is the best fit for that role, he plays. Period. Turbin fits the two minute offensive back role, and is solid on his pass blocking, so he's #2.

The End.

Sac

Reaction score
I'd like to see what he could do returning punts/kicks. If he was any good at least it wouldn't be a total loss.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
Are there any positives to take out of him not playing though? If we manage to hang on to Lynch for more years and Michael plays out his rookie contract and we extend him on the cheap because of lack of playing time, I doubt many other teams would have multi-million dollar interest in Michael to steal him away, especially in this recent RB market. We would have an extremely talented RB locked up long term who has had 4 years practice in our system. Even if he never does fulfill his RB #1 potential, I will take that outcome any day.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bbsplitter":12x6ko73 said:
Are there any positives to take out of him not playing though? If we manage to hang on to Lynch for more years and Michael plays out his rookie contract and we extend him on the cheap because of lack of playing time, I doubt many other teams would have multi-million dollar interest in Michael to steal him away, especially in this recent RB market. We would have an extremely talented RB locked up long term who has had 4 years practice in our system. Even if he never does fulfill his RB #1 potential, I will take that outcome any day.

Michael at this point is purely insurance.

My guess is if we can't resign Marshawn next year, Michael stays..............if we somehow figure out how to fit a fat new contract for Lynch under our cap, the Michael is probably traded.

He has two more years on his rookie deal, but I can't imagine he wouldn't freak out and demand to be traded if Lynch is resigned. Not a lot of leverage, but he's been a model bench warmer so far, but I imagine that would end if Lynch is extended.

Latest posts