Luke Willson

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
I was never high on Luke's potential to be a serious threat at TE. Despite his great athleticism, he just seemed too stiff and appeared to not be a natural pass catcher. Many on this forum were still high on him however, and his preseason performance began to make me change my mind. I was hoping he'd become a bigger part of the offense, but so far he is nowhere to be seen? I know I've seen him here and there, but 1 target for 1 reception in three games? Anyone have an answer for this?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Yeah, I would like to see him utilized more in the slot. His size and athleticism makes him a great mismatch. As a blocker, he has a lot to improve on.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Well... Wilson threw to 10 different receivers last game. So there's that. I believe he had 8 different receivers against GB on 28 or so attempts.

I think expecting more than 3-4 targets a game is wishful thinking on this team. There are too many options and only so many pass attempts.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Basis4day":rk17kut1 said:
Well... Wilson threw to 10 different receivers last game. So there's that. I believe he had 8 different receivers against GB on 28 or so attempts.

I think expecting more than 3-4 targets a game is wishful thinking on this team. There are too many options and only so many pass attempts.
3-4 targets would be ideal. The role that Walters was playing on 3rd down on that series in the second half was the role I had sort of envisioned for Willson. Can't help but think that drop in the red zone after getting crushed might have stuck in Pete or Bevell's mind. He played just 19 snaps against the Broncos, compared to 71 for Miller. Willson is going to have to continue to compete and prove that he can be a reliable option if he wants to eventually earn that role as a trusted 3rd down/red zone option.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Keep in mind the defenses we've played so far. 2/3 have run primarily 34 personnel, which rely on funky blitz packages to generate pass rush. Pete and Bevell have shown over the last few years that they really like using tight ends for max protect purposes against defenses that rely heavily on blitzes for the pass rush.

Zach Miller hasn't caught a ton of balls for good reason, him NOT being an excellent receiver ISN'T one of them.

Basis4day

Reaction score
hawknation2014":7k2jnhcj said:
Basis4day":7k2jnhcj said:

3-4 targets would be ideal. The role that Walters was playing on 3rd down on that series in the second half was the role I had sort of envisioned for Willson. Can't help but think that drop in the red zone after getting crushed might have stuck in Pete or Bevell's mind. He played just 19 snaps against the Broncos, compared to 71 for Miller. Willson is going to have to continue to compete and prove that he can be a reliable option if he wants to eventually earn that role as a trusted 3rd down/red zone option.

I need to rewatch the game, but did they need Miller's blocking for Ware and Von Miller especially after Okung got knicked?
That could easily explain his snap count against Denver. TOP in SD really screwed up Offensive stats so there isn't much for a casual game.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I think you're right OP. Willson isn't a matchup nightmare because he's not a natural receiver like some of the better tight ends in the league, but he's got great speed which Bevell, from which I've seen, is trying to utilize thru play-action pass sending him on deep routes to try and catch the defense sleeping.

The problem has been that on the occasions Willson's went deep there's been immediate pressure on Russell that has forced the quick, short pass on the crossing/underneath route.

He'll make an impact, just not as much as many hoped. With Miller handling the short routes just fine, I think we'll continue to see Willson used as a down the field tight end that either results in a big play or draws defenders and opens things up short for other receivers.

kearly

Reaction score
Look at how many plays and TDs have gone to players like Lockette, Coleman, and Walters. Meanwhile, Norwood rides the bench and Richardson barely plays.

Part of that is Pete's always compete mantra. It's not competition if the other guys never see the ball.

It seems to be working. Going into the Denver game Seattle's offense ranked #2 in the NFL in DVOA.

SDHawk

Reaction score
From what I've seen, Willson just doesn't have the same "grit" as our other pass-catchers. He's afraid of getting hit and doesn't have strong hands... tending to drop balls at the first sign of contact. Hope I'm wrong because I really really wanted to like Willson...

HawkWow

Reaction score
Basis4day":1t6dqmvc said:

Yep. There's only so many balls to go around and Lynch and Harvin will command the majority of those. Just one reason why I felt the Richardson pick should have went to O-line help....which is easy to say now with a healthy Harvin, but even then, I think we will see how excessive we are at WR when Norwood gets right. Especially with Lockette now playing NFL football.

I think Kearse's deal is about ready to go to the table (?) and his agent will need to tread carefully if Kearse plans to remain in Seattle, imo, I'd hate to lose him but if he's seeking ADB money, he may be deemed expendable. : /

Tical21

Reaction score
We line up in shotgun almost every play now. Not nearly as many opportunities to get a 2nd TE on the field.

Jville

Reaction score
Seems like more shopgun ..... Luke's snap percentage is down from 39.9% to 28.2% of offensive snaps. I have not seen nor have I gone looking for numbers on any breakout of personnel groupings or pass distribution. But they have have kept more wide receivers on the field of play so far this year. Harvin has been described as a hybrid that has changed the make up of the offense.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Our TD receiving leaders right now are Lockette (2), Lynch (2), Turbin (1; First career TD ever btw) and Coleman (1).
Let that sink in.

By yards it's Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, Lynch, and Lockette.

All that is happening is the ball is being spread around with limited targets in three games.

Willson will be fine.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I like Willson and think he'll be good. Speaking of which, is it too early to judge the 2013 draft? Michael, Williams, Hill, Simon and Willson are the only players left. A lot of players off to slow starts.

OP
OP
HuskerHawk

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
I just wonder WHY we're not utilizing more two TE formations in a pro or I set. I would think with our ability to run the ball, play action out of those formations would be killer, with Willson being especially dangerous. The common thought is going shotgun makes it easier for Russell to diagnose the field, but the man was marvelous at Wisconsin in those heavy formations. I wonder if Percy's presence has something to do with us trying to spread out a little more. On a related/unrelated note, in the possible case of Bevell leaving, what are the odds we could land Paul Chryst (Russell's OC at Wiscy) to take his position?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2uu2ntjq said:
I like Willson and think he'll be good. Speaking of which, is it too early to judge the 2013 draft? Michael, Williams, Hill, Simon and Willson are the only players left. A lot of players off to slow starts.

Losing Michael Bowie by releasing him with an injury designation was a hit to that draft class. However, Christine Michael and Luke Willson have dynamic ability to make an impact at some point in the next couple years. If Tharold Simon stays healthy, he has all the potential to be one of the best corners in the league. He might be the favorite to start at LCB next season if they fail to re-sign Maxwell. I'm kind of down on Jordan Hill at this point because of his inability to make reads and stop the run, but he has flashed at times as a pass rusher. We will see . . . Michael, Willson, and Simon still have a chance to make this class a productive one.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Basis4day":wa6mz9y9 said:

Exactly. It's like saying Baldwin sucks this year because he's off of last year's pace so far.

Harvin is going ot suck up a lot of touches, both as a WR and in the backfield.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Im still optimistic about Willson but I can't help but be disappointed so far. I envisioned a lot of Wilson to Willson but it just isn't happening. He still has time though.