7 Former Seahawks Nominated for Hall of Fame

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":21p69did said:
Holmgren is a shoe-in. Hopefully Knox as well. Would like to see Alexander and Watters as well....Don't plan on it.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2609217/7-Sea ... ll-of-Fame

I think Holmgren gets in, but not first ballot. I don't know about the other three. I loved each in their time, but I just don't believe they'll make it. I won't be sad if I'm wrong on this though

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't mean first ballot, but Holmgren has certainly earned his spot in Canton between the Packers and Seahawks.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Aros":24k2q7ak said:
I don't mean first ballot, but Holmgren has certainly earned his spot in Canton between the Packers and Seahawks.

Agreed and let's not forget how many of his position coaches who've become successful head coaches as well. Holmgren has a stellar resume as a coach and deserves to get in eventually. If he'd won the Super Bowl (I won't get into how we should have) with Seattle, he may have been a first ballot guy.

Threedee

Reaction score
In addition to his Super Bowl XXXI victory and three NFC championships, consider that Holmgren is probably the most successful QB Coach in recent memory, having developed Steve Young, Brett Favre, and Matt Hasselbeck (he also worked with an already developed Montana through two SB victories).

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Holmgren may not be first ballot but he's better choice than Dick Vermeil or Tom Flores (to even consider him is a joke).

Mckinja

Reaction score
hawkfan68":268r24pg said:
Holmgren may not be first ballot but he's better choice than Dick Vermeil or Tom Flores (to even consider him is a joke).

Let's not forget that Flores won 2 SBs in Oakland, where he had a .610 winning percentage (.727 in the playoffs). :Dunno:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Lot of good coaches up for enshrinement, Holmgren might have to wait a bit before he gets in.

Love Alexander, but hes not a HOF

I think Mawae gets in at some point, but would say he did more when he left Seattle.

I think the next Seahawk that gets in the hall is probably Hutch, and who knows if he goes in as a Seahawk. Beyond that we'll have to wait awhile methinks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kidhawk":2jllwa25 said:
Aros":2jllwa25 said:
Holmgren is a shoe-in. Hopefully Knox as well. Would like to see Alexander and Watters as well....Don't plan on it.

I think Holmgren gets in, but not first ballot. I don't know about the other three. I loved each in their time, but I just don't believe they'll make it. I won't be sad if I'm wrong on this though

Holmgren's a lock for getting in first ballot. 13th all time wins, three SB's........and integrally involved in the league for 20 years on the competition committee's, etc. Which means he's well respected all the way around.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd like to see Watters get in. He was good everywhere he went and was on some very good teams.

endzorn

Reaction score
kearly":trxl45o1 said:
I'd like to see Watters get in. He was good everywhere he went and was on some very good teams.
When Seattle signed him I was pissed, but he became my favorite Seahawk of that era. He could do everything well and despite his "For who? For what?" Philly rant, he was a tough hombre here.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Knox was the first coach ever to take three different teams to the playoffs. I think he has a pretty good chance of getting in.

Torc

Reaction score
There's some big names in the coaches list: Johnson, Reeves and Vermeil are all accomplished. I could see Holmgren getting in but I could also see any of those three getting in as well. I think they only pick one coach each year?

I'd love to see Knox get in, but I think his lack of a Super Bowl will kill his chances considering his competition. He probably belongs in the Hall of the Really, Really Good. As much as I hate to say that.

I could see Mawae getting a nod. Bill Parcells loved him and that'll carry a little weight.

Can I just say, looking at the list of running backs, that the day Terrell Davis gets voted in Kenny Easley had better make it too. The knock on both of them has been their short careers. If an exception can be argued for Davis (who ran behind an offensive line that produced how many no-name 1000+ yard rushers?) then surely the player that even Ronnie Lott thinks is the best safety to ever play deserves to be in.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":14s629d9 said:
I wouldn't call holmgren a shoe in.

Had we not got screwed in the superbowl he would be a shoe in.
I think it's precisely because of that screw job on SB XL by the Officials, that Holmgren makes it in.
He damned well deserves it

RiverDog

Reaction score
Aros":q8t63pqm said:

The list of post merger HOF coaches are as follows: Marv Levy (4 straight SB appearances), Chuck Knoll (4 SB rings), Don Shula (2 rings, 5 SB appearances), Bill Parcells (2 rings, 3 appearances), Bud Grant (4 SB appearances, 4 Grey Cups), Bill Walsh (3 SB rings) and Joe Gibbs (3 rings, 4 SB appearances). John Madden seems to be the one with the worst resume, with just one ring, but he had an outstanding regular season record, winning 76.3% of his games. I could toss in Landry, too, but he started coaching in 1960, well before the merger, as did Hank Stram, who was also one of the original head coaches in the AFL. George Allen's record is a little short on the SB and championships, too, as all he had to his credit is one NFC Championship, but he was the father of the Fearsome Foursome, completely turned around two teams in the pre-FA era, and had a .712 regular season record.

Holmgren's far from a shoe-in. He has one ring and 3 appearances, not a spectacular regular season (.592) or playoff record (.542), either, and a horrible performance as Seahawks GM/Browns Team President. I don't think he gets in. Knox definitely doesn't make it, as he never got to the SB. I'm surprised he even got nominated.

Alexander doesn't have a snowball's chance in the lower reaches, neither does Shawn Springs or Kevin Mawae. Flores has two SB rings as HC and a 3rd as a backup QB, but he had a horrible record with the Hawks, dragging his regular season winning percentage down to a paltry .527. The only one on that list that I think might make it is Ricky Watters. 5 Pro Bowls, 1 ring, and over 10,000 yards rushing, although he made most of that with the Niners.