NFL Admits Error on Harvin TD Run

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000395119/article/nfl-admits-error-on-percy-harvin-touchdown[/urltargetblank]

Nothing shocking here, I think everyone who watched it knew. I thought for sure when the official pointed to the spot he stepped out they were going to mark him out of bounds there, but they called it a TD and nobody bothered to pay close attention during the replay.

It didn't change the outcome of the game, but did put our defense back out on the field sooner than it otherwise may have been. Either way, it just made a bad game closer in the end.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Yep. At that point I was praying we blew them out so we wouldn't have to hear the bitching about the bad call.

......I suppose losing had a similar effect.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
That was one of the worst non-calls and lack of "New York" reversals I've ever seen. Hardly any of the guy's foot was inbounds. You could see it from the side camera.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bad call but it didn't effect the outcome off the game. I have completed confidence that they would have went on to score because SD defense would have been so worried about Percy, any of the other players could have walked in.

On the other hand, Mike McCoy should have run up there and stopped the extra point if he was paying attention to the game.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
ivotuk":3rzq9d2c said:
Bad call but it didn't effect the outcome off the game. I have completed confidence that they would have went on to score because SD defense would have been so worried about Percy, any of the other players could have walked in.

On the other hand, Mike McCoy should have run up there and stopped the extra point if he was paying attention to the game.

Would have been a pretty far run from Green Bay, not sure he has the stamina

Rickomatic

Reaction score
I don't understand why the official who pointed didn't throw a bean bag. Isn't that SOP? Did he just do a "never mind...." ?

Cartire

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2qybz5lj said:
ivotuk":2qybz5lj said:

Hmmmmm....

I know what you thought you thought. I'm just waiting for you to realize it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I got so tired of the broadcasters bringing it up every 2 minutes. There were other miscalls as well ie Gates pushing off on one of his touchdowns. The defense got abused on that play and would of been lucky that Harvin wasn't paying attention to where his feet were. But agreed, it was a terrible call.

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Rickomatic":1q0orhtc said:
I don't understand why the official who pointed didn't throw a bean bag. Isn't that SOP? Did he just do a "never mind...." ?
I still don't get why he pointed at the spot at all. When I saw it in real time I figured he was ruling him in bounds, and somewhat emphatically at that. Don't they usually just start blowing the whistle like mad and killing the play once someone steps out?

I kinda think he actually "saw" Harvin as in bounds right there. I know from a very tiny bit of umpiring (thankless, not-fun job that) that you make your call, loudly, and believe in it, right or wrong. So I think that's what he must have been doing. :shrug:

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Cartire":1lonxfeb said:
therealjohncarlson":1lonxfeb said:
ivotuk":1lonxfeb said:

Hmmmmm....

:oops: carry on

CANHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":17ut7pjq said:
Cartire":17ut7pjq said:
therealjohncarlson":17ut7pjq said:
ivotuk":17ut7pjq said:

Hmmmmm....

:oops: carry on
Ha! You thought he was talking about green bay packers coach Mike McCarthy, but he really meant San Diego coach Mike McCoy. It's funny because their names are both Mike and they have Mc last names!

#Roethlesbergering

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Now the only question is why didn't they admit they screwed up the call in green Bay game? Conspiracy I tell ya.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Honestly who cares...that play probably actually hurt us more than it helped us. If they rule him out we get to let the defense rest more and chew up some more clock...might have helped in the long run

BlueBlood

Reaction score
The ref didnt want to blow the whistle because he didnt want to rule a scoring play dead if he was wrong, figuring all scoring plays are reviewed anyway. I really like that approach but the replay officials absolutely should screwed that up.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
It's time to get the real refs back in there. We've seen enough of these replacements. They're ruining the integrity of the game.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
kidhawk":2e7b78vu said:
[urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000395119/article/nfl-admits-error-on-percy-harvin-touchdown[/urltargetblank]

Nothing shocking here, I think everyone who watched it knew. I thought for sure when the official pointed to the spot he stepped out they were going to mark him out of bounds there, but they called it a TD and nobody bothered to pay close attention during the replay.

It didn't change the outcome of the game, but did put our defense back out on the field sooner than it otherwise may have been. Either way, it just made a bad game closer in the end.

Actually, to me this was the first major turning point that went against us.

Not for the spoiled milk media mess of an uproar its causing in some circles but hypothetically, if the Seahawks can sustain that drive 3-4 minutes longer and keep the Seahawks Defense off the field. Who knows what happens then.

All I know is the Seahawks couldn't sustain a drive longer than 4m 7s and T.O.P. was 42/18 in favor of the Chargers. We get the Seahawks D off the field that drive and properly rested, we could be looking at a different outcome.

Pete also said something similar in his Monday press conference in that they scored to quickly, they couldn't implement their game plan like they wanted, and play to their style and that it did put the Defense in a more combustable situation especially in hindsight that they couldn't get off the field.

It was a big time play that was called wrong... would it have changed the outcome who knows... all I know is that it didn't factor into a win....and become even more controversial...

peppersjap

Reaction score
redeye81":2lgjhtfl said:
We would have scored anyway.. who cares.. my thoughts..
This is my thought, we would have had a 1st down on the 21 and we were having no problem moving the ball. It was a horrible call and the ref that pointed has some explaining to do but we would have gotten at least 3 anyway and problem 7.

Latest posts