If Pete were still here

Scout

Reaction score
This may have been a pivotal moment for JS as a GM as I mentioned in another thread. Like the JSN pick last year he stood pat and took BAP on the board. Having another top ten player fall into your lap is like ambrosia from the olympic gods. Especially being able to pick up arguably the best defensive player in the draft at that pick. Wow!

Sometimes trading down has merit but when you have a player like Murphy or JSN fall into your lap you do not over think it, become cute or rationalize why you need to trade down. Pull the trigger and you have the rest of the draft to maneuver and pick up more picks if necessary.

RiverDog

Reaction score
This may have been a pivotal moment for JS as a GM as I mentioned in another thread. Like the JSN pick last year he stood pat and took BAP on the board. Having another top ten player fall into your lap is like ambrosia from the olympic gods. Especially being able to pick up arguably the best defensive player in the draft at that pick. Wow!

Sometimes trading down has merit but when you have a player like Murphy or JSN fall into your lap you do not over think it, become cute or rationalize why you need to trade down. Pull the trigger and you have the rest of the draft to maneuver and pick up more picks if necessary.
I don't know if Murphy was the best player on the board. Most of the pundits had Turner rated as the BPA when our turn came up, and we have a need at edge, too.

I'm good with the pick, as the more I read about Murphy, the more I like him. He also claims to be a Hawks fan, grew up loving the LOB, and is shickled titless about being selected by the Hawks.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I don't know if Murphy was the best player on the board. Most of the pundits had Turner rated as the BPA when our turn came up, and we have a need at edge, too.

I'm good with the pick, as the more I read about Murphy, the more I like him. He also claims to be a Hawks fan, grew up loving the LOB, and is shickled titless about being selected by the Hawks.
Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but I believe he was the best fit. Seattle needed a guy on the interior more than an edge player.

What I love about the pick, is that his QB pressure rate was insane last season, but he's also built to be a run stuffer, it's kind of like having the best of both worlds.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score

Turner would have been the 72nd EDGE player Seattle has….

Of course I’m overly exaggerating but you get the idea!

Seattle needed for a long time a talented 3 tech DT and Murphy is that guy!

RiverDog

Reaction score
I've heard him compared favorably to Aaron Donald. Murphy is listed at 6'1", 297 lbs. while Donald checks in at 6'1", 280 lbs.

We have a chance to turn what has been one of our biggest weaknesses, the DL, into one of the strongest position groups on the team. If Nwosu recovers from his injury of last season and returns to his 2022 self, along with Leonard Williams, we'd have two legitimate Pro Bowlers alongside Murphy.

Now, we need to address the interior OL.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

I think the pivotal moment came in 2019. We haven't shown much desire to trade down at all since.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Turner was higher on the consensus board, but I think they're roughly equal as prospects. Murphy was more dominant on tape but Turner profiles to the league really well. Nearly as good as Anderson but not quite.

Latest posts