D holding on that last drive

HawkGA

Reaction score
I thought that defensive holding call that kept Seattle's last scoring drive alive was rather ticky-tack. I get that the arm went out but the grab seemed pretty weak, at best. That said, my first thought was that call was the result of the "Seahawk Rule." Am I off base on that? Did the Seahawks benefit from a rule interpretation intended to hurt the Seahawks? Cuz I kind of think that would be awesome.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
It was legitimately defensive holding. The announcers on the replay verified it, showed it. It was clear. What exactly is ticky-tack about that? If an illegal hold impedes a player from possibly making a play... and he gets caught, the flag and penalized yardage are warranted. It was the right call. I don't get where you're going with this. I don't think the emphasis is intended to hurt the Hawks. Some (those who don't like the Hawks) try to go there. But, there was some analyst just speaking to that yesterday in one of the many pre-game hype shows and speaking to how the Seahawks teach DB skills. It may have been Eric Davis who was coached by Pete Carroll at one point. He was giving Carroll's attention to detail props.

Michael Irvin and Steve Mariucci did a piece on NFL gameday showing the difference between defensive holding and illegal contact. There example was overly blatant to be clear to the audience. But, if you grab, hold, etc. - it's holding. Rules is rules. I think players must work to be crafty about disguising and getting away with enough to give them an advantage. But, that particular incident was not well enough disguised to not get caught. It was a stupid play by the defender, too. Didn't he or one of his teammates point to his helmet after the enforcement as if to say, "Think!" ? That was just not a smart play by him. Wasn't it the LB, Jones?

Hope that helps.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":3o1rnsqe said:
It was legitimately defensive holding. The announcers on the replay verified it, showed it. It was clear. What exactly is ticky-tack about that? If an illegal hold impedes a player from possibly making a play... and he gets caught, the flag and penalized yardage are warranted. It was the right call. I don't get where you're going with this. I don't think the emphasis is intended to hurt the Hawks. Some (those who don't like the Hawks) try to go there. But, there was some analyst just speaking to that yesterday in one of the many pre-game hype shows and speaking to how the Seahawks teach DB skills. It may have been Eric Davis who was coached by Pete Carroll at one point. He was giving Carroll's attention to detail props.

Michael Irvin and Steve Mariucci did a piece on NFL gameday showing the difference between defensive holding and illegal contact. There example was overly blatant to be clear to the audience. But, if you grab, hold, etc. - it's holding. Rules is rules. I think players must work to be crafty about disguising and getting away with enough to give them an advantage. But, that particular incident was not well enough disguised to not get caught. It was a stupid play by the defender, too. Didn't he or one of his teammates point to his helmet after the enforcement as if to say, "Think!" ? That was just not a smart play by him. Wasn't it the LB, Jones?

Hope that helps.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he impeded anything. And what the announcers said was pretty much "you put your arm out like that and you're going to get the holding call." It had the appearance of a hold but in terms of actually affecting the play, I don't think it did at all (I did see only the one reply so perhaps I am wrong).

As to the "Seahawks Rule" I'm referring to the emphasis put contact between the defensive backs and the wide receivers that other people around the league have surmised is in direct response to how the Seahawks play defense.

My point was more that, without the added emphasis this year, I wonder if that penalty gets called?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
It was a borderline ticky-tacky call in what was overall a pretty well called game, IMO. I'd say that probably gets called about 65% of the time this year, though. It'll happen to the Hawks this year too, as it happens to everybody. Far from a horrible call though, it just happened to the Packers at a really bad time. No biggie, IMO.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
No it wasn't ticky tacky. The LB was beat off the line, and he clearly arm barred Willson/grabbed his shoulder pads. No doubter hold.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
HawkGA":2wly0g54 said:
TeamoftheCentury":2wly0g54 said:
If an illegal hold impedes a player from possibly making a play... and he gets caught, the flag and penalized yardage are warranted.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he impeded anything. And what the announcers said was pretty much "you put your arm out like that and you're going to get the holding call." It had the appearance of a hold but in terms of actually affecting the play, I don't think it did at all (I did see only the one reply so perhaps I am wrong).

And... I didn't say that. I more spoke in general in order to speak to the rule.

The announcer, on the other hand, was not speaking in general. He was referring to specifically what happened to warrant the flag.

It's irrelevant whether it actually affected the play. It's simply that such contact is illegal. Hence, the call. Ya neva know what could have been if not for something like that happening.

You asked a question and no one was giving you an answer. Just giving input that was intended to be helpful and not trying to argue with you. Life is good. The Hawks just raised a banner and beat down the Packers.

Go Hawks.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":rn56jpug said:
No it wasn't ticky tacky. The LB was beat off the line, and he clearly arm barred Willson/grabbed his shoulder pads. No doubter hold.
Yup, pretty clear. No ticky tacky about it.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
The ref was looking right at it and threw the flag immediately, he knew what he was looking at. Not nearly as ticky tack as the Clayflop.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
He had a fistful of jersey. What is ambiguous about that?

kearly

Reaction score
Any time the ref sees a guy pull the jersey like 4 inches off the other player's pads, it's always going to be called. As it should be.