Commentators and our coaches

chris98251

Reaction score
I heard several times the commentators saying enjoy Bevell or Quinn while we have them cause they won't be here long, they were particularly impressed with Bevell tonight. Saying that we only have them because nobody wanted to wait till after the playoffs to hire them.

We know they are on the Radar of a lot of teams that have problems, my thoughts are do they have teams go after them this year even if we make it to the dance again this year?

Basis4day

Reaction score
If we make it that far i think they will. What will affect it the most is how many teams are looking for head coaches.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Pete will have a coaching tree to rival Holmgren. This is part of the fun. Sucks for now but great for a legacy. I really don't want to loose our dc.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sprfunk":1ny5504h said:
Pete will have a coaching tree to rival Holmgren. This is part of the fun. Sucks for now but great for a legacy. I really don't want to loose our dc.

Thing is, Pete gets the best young talent in the league. Guys are lining up to coach under Carroll because he doesn't cock block his coachesl like Harbaugh does. If you coach under Pete, you're going to get a shot eventually. We won't get to keep our favorites, but we're going to cycle through the best talent.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Quinn and Bevell are good coaches, but this is Pete's team. this is what he did at SC. Look how many coordinators got jobs out of SC. If someone leaves like Bradley, he will find somebody who fits his way.

As long as Pete and John are around I will feel ok.

dusktreader

Reaction score
Smellyman":15itdrfo said:
This. I love Quinn, and I think Bevell has been waiting for a high-power offense to shine. But, these guys are both going to be gone next year, i think. The next guys that PC/JS bring into the system are going to bring some of their own special mojo with them

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Smellyman":9jb8cg4q said:
Quinn and Bevell are good coaches, but this is Pete's team. this is what he did at SC. Look how many coordinators got jobs out of SC. If someone leaves like Bradley, he will find somebody who fits his way.

Yea. I agree with the comment about Pete's coaching tree as well. Yes, the other teams are going to get their coaches from his tree, but he'll continue to replace and rework his coaching staff just like he does with the players. Same concept; same result.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
It didn't seem to bother us much when that big name coach quit or retired suddenly in Pete's first or second year here.

Mick063

Reaction score
Pete will always get top notch assistants because he is a meal ticket for them landing a head coaching job. Pete knows this and is fully onboard with furthering careers of his assistants. Watch his speech at USC campus last year. He wants his assistants to move up the ladder.

It isn't much different than Pete recruiting great players for USC and celebrating when they declare early for the NFL draft. It is the same formula of John Calipari for Kentucky basketball. You get the pipeline rolling and land the cream of the crop with each turnover.

All due to encouraging and celebrating personal advancement.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawks46":1h55shzv said:
Sprfunk":1h55shzv said:

Thing is, Pete gets the best young talent in the league. Guys are lining up to coach under Carroll because he doesn't cock block his coachesl like Harbaugh does. If you coach under Pete, you're going to get a shot eventually. We won't get to keep our favorites, but we're going to cycle through the best talent.
Totally agree. Young, smart, motivated coaches know that they will: 1. Be coaching young, plisble, smart, talent. Not held back from higher ambitions if they prove their worth.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
The hardest question is what teams out there will be looking for head coaches that haven't addressed it in the last 3 years.

And which coaches are on the hot seat: Philbin, Garrett and maybe Ryan and Coughlin.

Browns scare me though, they've been getting awfully cozy with our O-Line as of late, and Mike Pettine seems more placeholder than legit HC, and they were talking to Cable at one point.

But realistically I feel if the Seahawks repeat a Superbowl run, there are going to be too few opportunities available, and all 3 will come back.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I think another dominant season like last year will encourage at least one or two organizations to wait it out in the hopes of getting that championship sheen and Pete-by-proxy effect for their team. All it takes is one.

I don't follow these teams too closely, but in addition to the ones Pandion mentioned, another rough season could result in firings for:

Mike Smith in Atlanta. He's not likely to be fired... unless... the Falcons follow up their unexpected crash-and-burn with another plummeting-elevator of a season. Smith is under contract through 2015, and he'll likely play it out, but 1 playoff victory to go with his 5 winning seasons ain't gonna cut it too much longer. Bevell could help Matt Ryan. Or if ownership wants to stick with a D-minded guy in charge, Quinn would be near the top of the list.

Ron Rivera bought himself some time with the Panther's division win, but it was the first winning season of his 3 there. It's unlikely that they do, but If they finish at or below .500 again, he's right back on the hot seat. Quinn would be ideal to maintain that elite D, and Bevell could create great situations for Newton and his young receivers.

Dennis Allen doesn't have much caché in Oakland after a 8-24 start to his head coaching career. Raiders might take whoever they can get after one more miserable season. A good QB-mentor-type-HC would be very attractive if Carr looks the part of franchise QB. In that case, Bevell has some appeal.

And in a long-shot-but-who-knows, if things go really bad in San Fran, like no-playoffs bad, maybe Harbs gets a change of venue in an acrimonious split and the digits try to revitalize their aging D with Dan Quinn? That's kind of a nightmare scenario for everyone, I think.

Uberman

Reaction score
Here is my fearless prediction.

Dallas rolls out the red carpet to entice Quinn, they go with a defensive guru to attempt to fix their historically awful defense.

Bevel goes to Carolina for the reasons stated above - they will self destruct this season and management will want someone who has a clue with how do deal with a talented mobile passer

Cable will get an offer from Oakland which he will burn in a live press conference as he accepts the Bills job - restoring that franchise to legitimacy

The Jag's - surprising EVERYONE make the playoffs this year

Pete replaces all with unknown but highly regarded coaches out of lesser known Division 1 and 2 college programs

The Radish

Reaction score
Uberman":3tstfrrh said:

Dallas rolls out the red carpet to entice Quinn, they go with a defensive guru to attempt to fix their historically awful defense.

Bevel goes to Carolina for the reasons stated above - they will self destruct this season and management will want someone who has a clue with how do deal with a talented mobile passer

Cable will get an offer from Oakland which he will burn in a live press conference as he accepts the Bills job - restoring that franchise to legitimacy

Pete replaces all with unknown but highly regarded coaches out of lesser known Division 1 and 2 college programs

Uberman and I are old friends and mostly agree here, however

But first off I think Cable stays here and takes over for Pete after we win our 3rd SB, hopefully in a row. And I'm sure he would never return to the Ray-Duhs for any amount of money.

Quinn will for sure go somewhere after this year. He would have been gone this one if not for us still playing in the last game of the year. He's just to good.

Bevel I'm not sure of. Remember many here hated him in the just recent past but I'm just not sure he goes just yet.

:les:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
But first off I think Cable stays here and takes over for Pete after we win our 3rd SB, hopefully in a row. And I'm sure he would never return to the Ray-Duhs for any amount of money.
Please god don't make this happen.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Uberman":22fzf58j said:

Good stuff. The only part I disagree with is the last bit. I think we promote from within and bring in those lesser-known, young and talented coaches for position groups.

Rocky Seto, our defensive passing coordinator, is an option for DC. He was assistant head coach of defense at USC under Pete, then the DC for a year. Sarkisian offered him that role when we went to UW. Plus, his wife is originally from Seattle, so he may have further incentive to stick around.

Rocky's assistant HC of D was Ken Norton, Jr., who is another valid candidate. Although he might be more at home with the LBs, they could do an "assistant DC" kind of thing again.

On the offensive side, Kippy Brown, our WR coach, has been here since Pete's inaugural season and he has assistant head coach and passing game coordinator experience. He was the OC for the Dolphins under one of the other 2 head coaches to win an NCAA national championship and a Super Bowl, Jimmy Johnson.

Sherman Smith, RB coach, also has coordinator experience. He was OC under Zorn in D.C. He was also assistant head coach with the Titans.

All those guys will have to compete for the jobs, if and when they open, and outsiders still have a shot, but these guys I would think have the upper hand.