Sports Illustrated article on Russell Wilson "...And Then?"

stack

Reaction score
Has any of you read this week's issue of Sports Illustrated and in particular the article on Russell Wilson?

Am I the only one who thinks he comes across as a massive douche in it? I mean, in comparison, the article on Kaepernick actually made him likeable, and I friggin' hate the guy!

Opinion anyone?

rigelian

Reaction score
I thought it was a less than flattering article. I wouldn't say it paints him as a massive douche, but it clearly shows him to be calculating and not 100% sincere.

Kaepernick, in contrast, comes off quite well.

SirTed

Reaction score
He definitely doesn't come across all that great. But I think it's accurate.

He comes across obsessed with perception and perfection. That's not necessarily bad - as long as it continues to drive him to be the best, right?

I'm not even trying to spin this. I love RW the player, but his personality drives me insane at times. But ultimately, whether it's all for perception or not - the dude is at Children's practically every week. If a "sincere" person is there a couple times a year, which is better? I think that is kind of the point the author makes though - while this all may be a show, he puts so much effort in, who cares?

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Why does it bother you so much that he's at children's hospital all the time? What about his personality bothers you?

Cartire

Reaction score
The only thing that gets tiring with Russell is the Cliche speak. Its all he does. But at the same time, I cant blame him. The way media takes anything someone says and reads into it insanely, hes better off just sticking with constant cliches.

Vetamur

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":n30xukml said:
Why does it bother you so much that he's at children's hospital all the time? What about his personality bothers you?
Discussion is difficult when you purposely misconstrue what someone is saying. That is clearly not what he meant. What he was basically saying is.. would you rather have someone visit a childrens hospital every weekend but do it as an exercise in perception, or someone who goes a couple times a year only, but means it?

But I dont think this is what is trying to be said. Its a fine line to walk today but its important. When you say youre managing your image, it can smack of insincerity. But thats not the case. Its just a concession to reality. In todays world of phone cameras, social media, 24 hour news, and 3 hour news cycles.. one has to control ones image. So when Wilson picks and chooses the which companies to endorse based on the image he wants to project, its not so much being fake as really trying to find the endorsements that match his self image or being positive.

Visiting the childrens hospital then isnt insincere, its an exercise in "I want to give back.. in which way can I give back that once digested by the public will help them see me as I see myself.." knowing that if one DOESNT manage your image people will get the wrong idea.

In 1950, I think choreographing your public moves would smack of insincerity, in 2014 I think its just a necessity of being a public figure.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't have a subscription to SI, is the OP making a reference to the "entourage" article or something else?

Regarding Wilson, we all wear masks. Many of us tune our behaviors and personalities to fit our immediate surroundings or circumstances. Lucky for us, Wilson is driven to be the perfect human being. If we wanted to do the same, we'd be wearing the "Mr. Perfect" mask too.

That said, I do believe that the Children's hospital visits are about more than appearances. My cousin works for a Seattle area hospital and has worked with Russell Wilson when he visits the hospital she works at. She's seen him up close at the hospital visits and is 100% convinced that Wilson visits sick kids not for the PR but for the inner satisfaction of brightening a kid's day.

So, do I think Wilson is fake? At all the stuff that matters, I think he is 100% the real thing. Is he putting on appearances sometimes and is he very image conscious? Of course. But that just comes with the territory if you are striving to live a perfect life. There is also a very natural politician within Wilson which contributes to his image obsessed nature.

I don't really think being a politician at heart is bad at all. Pete's a politician at heart too, and I think it makes him a smarter coach.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
I realize that i may have mis-read him but it sounded like to he said he doesn't like the fact he visits Children's hospital every week and makes a kids' day.

But, why does it matter whether he posts pictures of the kids there? Why does it bring negativity that he does that? I guess people can have their own opinion, I just think it's a little harsh to be offended(I couldn't think of the right word) at a public figure's posting of pictures of kids in the hospital on social media.

Either way, I think this should be discussed somewhere else so I'll leave it at that.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
This is all part of the package when you're a player of the most important position in a team game that is on the cusp (read this year) of being top 5 at said position. In this position you must manage your image or it will manage you (mostly to horrific results if given too much chance).

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Russell was already visiting the Children's hospital in secrecy during his rookie year, before he even became a starter. The people at Children's mentioned about it. Russell never announced it himself, i think he feels committed to those kids, perception or not no one goes there every week without missing a beat, most people would get tired of that and it's already going on year 3.

jake206

Reaction score
So they want him to stop visiting Children's Hospital now?? Media will find an angle, no matter who it is. RW is the top dog, and they're trying to poke holes to find a story. If Kaepernick was champ and RW was runner up. They'd be doing the same to him. RW's giving them nothing, and it makes those beat reporters and magazine editors stir-crazy.

HansGruber

Reaction score
What Russell does at Children's is fantastic. I have colleagues there who have met him and stated he brings a wonderful energy to the hospital.

There is a significant body of evidence which shows that mental outlook has a very real impact on treatment. From the reports of my friends, that place lights up when Wilson shows up. I mean, authentic and significant excitement. Which means these kids are getting the exact boost they need, exactly when they need it.

I have to seriously question the ethics, intelligence and character of anyone who would slander that. Does it matter why Wilson goes if he is literally helping to heal these kids? Does anyone seriously believe those kids or their families care why he's there?

The only reason to bring it up is to project a cynical sick world view where it may not be appropriate.

And further, the only person whose word would matter here is someone DOING more for their community. As the old saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Ultimately, it is our actions that matter most. Russell Wilson should be applauded and praised for volunteering his time with these kids. The rest of the crowd, who judge others for acts they don't even live up to, can just go ahead and kiss off.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Considering how Alex Rodriguez kind of set the bar on phony, I don't see Wilson even coming close to that standard.

Largent80

Reaction score
When I met Russ, he didn't have to come over in the middle of shooting NFL total access to come and talk to us but he DID.

He is doing what he has to do, and he is liking doing it. It may grow old for him eventually but right now, he is the real deal on and off the field. We are so blessed to have him as a Seahawk.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Largent80":oh12h074 said:
When I met Russ, he didn't have to come over in the middle of shooting NFL total access to come and talk to us but he DID.

He is doing what he has to do, and he is liking doing it. It may grow old for him eventually but right now, he is the real deal on and off the field. We are so blessed to have him as a Seahawk.
This is so true.

You know it's something special when the only criticism anyone can invent is that his weekly visits to a children's hospital are "manufactured."

Having watched all manner of horrible atrocities at quarterback, where only two mediocre quarterbacks stand as our best historical examples, suffice to say I'm pretty stoked.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Largent80":18gas1y5 said:

This is so true.

You know it's something special when the only criticism anyone can invent is that his weekly visits to a children's hospital are "manufactured."

Having watched all manner of horrible atrocities at quarterback, where only two mediocre quarterbacks stand as our best historical examples, suffice to say I'm pretty stoked.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":22e1pmhw said:
This is all part of the package when you're a player of the most important position in a team game that is on the cusp (read this year) of being top 5 at said position. In this position you must manage your image or it will manage you (mostly to horrific results if given too much chance).

Was that a clever pun on the Wilson SI cover, Mizzou? :snack:

kearly

Reaction score
HansGruber":rjfmxpx0 said:
What Russell does at Children's is fantastic. I have colleagues there who have met him and stated he brings a wonderful energy to the hospital.

There is a significant body of evidence which shows that mental outlook has a very real impact on treatment. From the reports of my friends, that place lights up when Wilson shows up. I mean, authentic and significant excitement. Which means these kids are getting the exact boost they need, exactly when they need it.

I have to seriously question the ethics, intelligence and character of anyone who would slander that. Does it matter why Wilson goes if he is literally helping to heal these kids? Does anyone seriously believe those kids or their families care why he's there?

The only reason to bring it up is to project a cynical sick world view where it may not be appropriate.

And further, the only person whose word would matter here is someone DOING more for their community. As the old saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Ultimately, it is our actions that matter most. Russell Wilson should be applauded and praised for volunteering his time with these kids. The rest of the crowd, who judge others for acts they don't even live up to, can just go ahead and kiss off.

Fantastic post.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If Russell didn't really want to do the children's hospital thing, he would have stopped doing it by now. Nobody puts up an act for that long.

I really appreciate what HansGruber said about cynical worldview. When people with pens and bylines decide somebody is too good to be true, they can get away with being outright dishonest, because there are plenty of people who do not aspire to be inspired by goodness, and lap up their toxic stories.

sam1313

Reaction score
kearly":cx483uqm said:
HansGruber":cx483uqm said:

Fantastic post.
Totally agree!!!