Does anyone know the answer to......

Rainger

Reaction score
How O'Brian Schofield can fail a physical with the Giants yet be in as good of condition that he was in to look so good in pre season and make our team?

Does any one know what part of his body failed the physical? Is his leg or arm going to fall off in the middle of the season?

olyfan63

Reaction score
The Giants physician was advised by the Giants front office of their buyer's remorse, that after thinking it over, they didn't want to tie up $8M on OBS, and the doc was instructed to find some flimsy excuse to fail him on the physical.

It really seems quite obvious. The NY media was having a fit over signing a no-name to a big contract, "O'Brien who? Ken O'Brien? WTF?" and the Giants' front office reconsidered their post-SB48 enthusiasm, and decided to reallocate the $8M in ways they thought would help their roster more (OL maybe?) and not generate such media criticism, which is a legit factor to consider for +/- front office job tenure in New York.

Even here in Seattle, it was "$8M? Really? For a backup?!!"

As a fan, I am ecstatic to see OBS back in Seattle, and expecting great things from him. Next year he very well may get another $8M contract that sticks.

Anyone disagree with my assessment? Please chime in!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1586y0an said:
I would call it buyers regret. Easy way out of a contract.

Thats what I think happened.....they listened to the media and "experts" bash them and then found a way out of the contract.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Plus after they signed Schofield they agrees to terms with Jon Beason, so by failing Schofield on his physical they could get that money back and spend it on Beason instead. Pretty bush league. It's going to be fun when the Giants come to town this year....

Mick063

Reaction score
Before week 1 preseason, I thought Schofield was the most undervalued player on the Seahawks, by Seahawk.net collectively.

All he does is jump off the screen consistently. Even in regular season, even against the varsity.

He is absolutely worth that contract the Giants signed him to. It wasn't a huge contract (per year). They were dumb, dumb, and dumber for letting him go. The loss of Clem gave me some anxiety. The resigning of Schofield was a big time relief.

With Clem gone, he will be in the rotation much more so than last year, and when it is all said and done, he will be the "surprise" player of the team, to the outside pundits. I expect him to make a big splash starting Thursday night.

He will get his payday that the Giants passed on. If not Seattle, then some one else.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Each team evaluates differently beyond the obvious injuries (if not severe injuries like a break, etc). Arthritic knee was an issue for the Giants while it's not for Seattle. Plus he played for Seattle last year so that probably weighed into it. That's why you see players failing one team's physical landing on another team and deemed ok.

Monistat

Reaction score
olyfan63":2xn3jmrn said:
The Giants physician was advised by the Giants front office of their buyer's remorse, that after thinking it over, they didn't want to tie up $8M on OBS, and the doc was instructed to find some flimsy excuse to fail him on the physical.

It really seems quite obvious. The NY media was having a fit over signing a no-name to a big contract, "O'Brien who? Ken O'Brien? WTF?" and the Giants' front office reconsidered their post-SB48 enthusiasm, and decided to reallocate the $8M in ways they thought would help their roster more (OL maybe?) and not generate such media criticism, which is a legit factor to consider for +/- front office job tenure in New York.

As a fan, I am ecstatic to see OBS back in Seattle, and expecting great things from him. Next year he very well may get another $8M contract that sticks.

Living in NY i completely agree with this. I think they realized after the fact, that they jumped the gun on offering more than they wanted. So they failed his physical. I was shocked by the contract given, and its a bum deal for him they were able to get out of it so easily. Hopefully after a great season with us he gets his just contract with us or someone else.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It wasn't a team doctor that failed him. It was the owner's personal physician.

I took that to mean Mara didn't like what Reese did and undid it.

CANHawk

Reaction score
OB looks good now, but I think the bottom could fall out with him due to the arthritic knee really at any time. Probably realized his productive years weren't going to be all that long, so they took the out.

I get it. They had a lot of cheddar tied up in the guy. I'd want him to be 100% at that price too...

A

Anonymous

Sounds like there were a lot of components to this, but out of curiosity, how much pull do you think the Seattle media has over the Seahawks?

I'm gonna say, not much.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":wbylyzdh said:
Sounds like there were a lot of components to this, but out of curiosity, how much pull do you think the Seattle media has over the Seahawks?

I'm gonna say, not much.

The New York Media is an entirely different animal. I am not saying they had a say in the matter just comparing the different media markets is apples and oranges.

McG

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2uvow1wp said:
Plus after they signed Schofield they agrees to terms with Jon Beason, so by failing Schofield on his physical they could get that money back and spend it on Beason instead. Pretty bush league. It's going to be fun when the Giants come to town this year....

Yeah, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Beason who was basically on his last leg (literally) when Carolina let him go because he was basically too injured to play anymore? He passes his physical, but not Schofield? Sounds like the owner thought if they were going to get someone injury prone, might as well be someone that has already played for them. Either way, I was pissed when I heard he was leaving and now I'm glad that he is still on the team. He showed in the pre-season that he wanted to be here and that he could still play.

Note- After doing research on Beasons injury history, he was IR'ed in 2011 for an Achilles and 2012 with a Knee. I'd have to say that if Schofields contract was voided to keep this guy, then it sure wasn't for injury concerns. Sounds like a money issue, for sure.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
olyfan63":uzq35yv2 said:

So you're saying they got bit by their own east coast bias?

Love it! :th2thumbs:

A

Anonymous

Year of The Hawk":2gqeg7or said:
HoustonHawk82":2gqeg7or said:

I'm gonna say, not much.

The New York Media is an entirely different animal. I am not saying they had a say in the matter just comparing the different media markets is apples and oranges.

Agreed.

Probably more like Chateau Ste Michelle Cabernet and prune juice.

gargantual

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":etge7674 said:
OBS will sure be the one to watch in that game :) . Bet he goes OFF on them!

Gonna be fun to watch.