Some linebacker stuff

ManBunts

Reaction score
I've always been a proponent of Bruce Irvin. He quietly excelled his rookie year, then was shifted to an unknown for him. While I've read a lot of criticism, I've always felt that he needed time to adjust and he hadn't really messed up in any way. He'd done his job for the most part. Neither excelling nor screwing up. And I was find paying a rookie salary to see what he turned into.

But if they decide to cut down on this roster at all, I have to wonder, if you have a talented guy like Coyle, or Toomer who showed promise despite the injury, does this put Irvin at risk? An open question, curious on others thoughts. I'm of the mind that he's not at risk, but if you made me choose between say Coyle or Irvin, oooh...I don't know.

Either way, I'm unbelievably pumped for this year. I think our defense is better and our offense, I know it was the preseason and I know it was the Chargers but oh baby that was a well oiled machine at work.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
I think you need to think about the future as well. Wright is in a contract year, Smith right behind.

Polk738

Reaction score
I think KJ will end up being let go and Malcolm will take the WILL spot as much as it pains me to say it. I love KJ Wright but I've read that Malcolm plays the weak side better than him.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Malcomb is right behind K.J. in a contract.

I love Wright and he gets overlooked here a LOT.

hawkstrap

Reaction score
This thread should be getting more posts. But our backs and line make it seem insignificant for the LBS, but they are a big part if Pete's defense. Wagner is special, KJ is special. Look at the way they defend the sweep corners, the dump offs, and the screens. Either could play the others spot and excel.

Smith is smart and can play with his speed.

Irvin is a pass rusher with the IQ of a late 90 s refrigerator. Good as a back up, but sucks against the run.

I don't give a fart about Coyle, Smith or Farwell. Hope they don't okay in a real game. U

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It was great to see Malcolm Smith back on the field. He took all 18 of his snaps at the WLB position, while K.J. Wright started the game at MLB in place of the injured Bobby Wagner (hamstring).

Wright also alternated with Mike Morgan at SLB in the base defense. After Heath Farwell injured his groin, and Brock Coyle exited the game temporarily after hurting his ankle, Marcus Dowtin made his debut at MLB and made a couple nice plays on nine snaps.

I thought Toomer and KPL looked pretty good during their reps.

Wagner and Irvin could be activated next week, which will make things interesting.

Latest posts