D-Line Depth?

bbsplitter

Reaction score
So I know that its only the pre-season, and our D-line will progress, and I do like the look of some of them. But it also seems , keeping he past couple of games in mind, it might be a good idea to add some competition to the D-Line, especially in the 2-stringer/depth run-stopping category. Are there any FA available at this point you guys think would be worth taking a look at? Anyone on other teams at risk of being cut you wouldn't mind picking up? Anyone know anything about Ryan Pickett, DL previously of the Packers?

kobebryant

Reaction score
Last year I believe they were largely a 7 man rotation on game days (Red, Mebane,McDaniel,Clem, Bennett, Avril and Mcdonald) with Irvin and Schofield mixed in occasionally as edge rushers with Hill and Mayowa as the inactives.

Again, this season I believe it will largely be a 7 man rotation (Bennett,Mebane,Williams,Avril,McDaniel, Scruggs, and Marsh) with Irvin and Schofield mixed in as edge rushers with Hill and Mayowa as the inactives.

So any veteran free agent they would pick up would have to be good enough to crack that active 7, and I don't see anyone out there good enough to do so. And you definitely don't want to pay veteran money to someone who may be inactive and take a roster spot from a young developing upside dude like Hill, Mayowa or Brooks.

I actually think the dline could be better this season. If you ask me if I would rather have Clem/Red/McDonald or K Williams/Marsh/Scruggs, I think I'd opt for the latter and role the dice on the unknown. Keep in mind that Clem/Red/McDonald weren't they players they turned out to be until this staff went to work with them.

RussJames

Reaction score
Anyone been specifically watching Scruggs these past couple games? From what I've seen he's looked pretty inconsistent. Most times I've watched him he's looked sluggish and even a bit weak. Then there's a couple occasions every once in a while where he looks robust and powerful and is pushing defenders into the backfield. I think it mostly has something to do with the opposition he's playing against.

I really don't have quite as rosy of an outlook on him as some fellow 12s. We'll see I suppose. I'm hoping he just snaps out of it one of these games and becomes the beast we all think he can be.

Smellyman

Reaction score
RussJames":126f3wqn said:
Anyone been specifically watching Scruggs these past couple games? From what I've seen he's looked pretty inconsistent. Most times I've watched him he's looked sluggish and even a bit weak. Then there's a couple occasions every once in a while where he looks robust and powerful and is pushing defenders into the backfield. I think it mostly has something to do with the opposition he's playing against.

I really don't have quite as rosy of an outlook on him as some fellow 12s. We'll see I suppose. I'm hoping he just snaps out of it one of these games and becomes the beast we all think he can be.

or it is his first live football in a year and a half.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Scruggs has been more than solid in both pre-season games thus far. If everyone expects Scruggs to pick up where Clinton McDonald was as a pocket disrupter needs to temper their expectations especially considering that he's still working his way back from injury at least the physcology of it. The Seahawks seemingly like him in Mebane role where he's asked to 2 gap vs the rush and collapse the pocket enough vs the pass that allow others to get to the QB.

Just remember last year it really took until mid-season before our D-Line was able to dominant on consistent basis We have a lot of new parts, some inexperienced guys, and new leadership. Quinn is one of the best in the NFL and our depth imo is going to be outstanding again once everyone settles into a role and finds a niche.