MMQB Training Camp Article

ManBunts

Reaction score
Good article, hits quickly on a lot of good points, but a few I take issue with, and I'm curious as to others thoughts:
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/27/nfl-2014- ... mp-report/

" If Harvin can replace the departed Golden Tate "...Was this ever in doubt? Not to knock Tate, he was great, but I felt like he'd reached his ceiling, at least on this team. I realize there's of course the health issue with Harvin, but in my mind that's the only thing that has people wondering whether or not he can cover for Tate. And perhaps I'm being optimistic, but there's a reason they went through with the surgery and lost Harvin for 99% of the year, and I think it's to ensure that this would not happen again. Every time he touches the ball on a sweep I giggle like a 3 year old. There's a speed and power combo there that Tate never had.

"That this could be the last year the Seahawks enjoy their current level of success for some time." Boo to this! Quinn is awesome, I hope he stays, but the defense he leaves behind isn't going to suddenly forget everything they learned. We've locked down key players and have some awesome young guys coming up under some great veterans. And yes, Lynch may not come back next year. We did pay him an extra $1million early out of his 2015, which tells me next year he either shows or he's gone. And I'll miss him. I was worried this year. I like Michaels, but let's not fool ourselves and think he can come off the bench and replace a consistently Top 5 RB. But next year? After some real grooming this year? I'll feel a lot better.

God this season cannot come sooner.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
No one's doubting that Harvin can replace Tate's production, the question is can he stay healthy? Which is a valid question considering his history of injury and missing pretty much all of last year.

I think the Hawks and Harvin managed his injury perfectly, and erred on the side of caution in order to get his body completely right for this year. BUT, still a big question mark.

Tate was not spectacular, but he was durable and consistent, two things Harvin has not been. I think that's all the article is asking.

titan3131

Reaction score
Even if Quinn leaves it will make very little impact.

Our position coaches are the ones making the real BIG Difference.

specifically Ken Norton jr.

CPHawk

Reaction score
To say Tate was great is an over exaggeration. He was solid, but he also disappeared for games at a time. I'm just hoping Harvin allows the other WR to get more open looks, because of his speed and threat over the top. I really don't want to see anymore games like the Cards game.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
LOL at thinking Quinn leaving would hurt this team too much. Sure he's a good coach. But Bradley turned our D into the jags job. If Quinn leaves we'll replace him. And whoever shows up will still get to workwith pete and get the LOB.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Well, as to Quinn leaving...no it doesn't necessarily affect the starters, but I can give you a specific example as to how it can affect a defense.

Quinn's forte is the DL and developing younger guys. If he leaves, the next guy might not be good at getting the Scruggs and the Hills to step in and give quality reps in the rotation. Typically, when your rotational guys are that much worse than your starters (or the production really drops off), teams tend to play their starters more and only bring the backups/rotational guys in when the starters are hurt or really need a breather. Typically, the offense is going to test the new guy and run right at him. It's hard to run right at our rotational guys as they're in so much. Also, linemen get used to each other's moves and tendencies. This is harder to do for the offense when it's always a different guy across from them.

If we do lose Quinn and his replacement isn't as good with the younger DLmen, then we could see our defense start to wear down at the end of games against teams like SF. As good as our division is, the little things can make a difference. I think it's a bit myopic to just say "well, our starters are good, so if we lose Quinn, all the starters will just remember what he taught them".