The Dark Horse that is Phil Bates

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
After watching the training camp video I realized I had totally forgotten about Mister (not master) Bates. Made me wonder, is this his year? I realize odds are stacked, but man dude looks ready to roll this year. He would be the ultimate poor man's Boldin for our beloved Hawks (literally identical dimensions involved). Am I out of my mind to think this guy could can make the team this year?

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Nope, Bates has size, length, strength, mixed in with some outstanding athleticism and has shown some great progression at WR since 2012. As long as he show he can be a strong contributor on special teams, he has as much of an opportunity as any to earn a spot on the roster.

Bates is an ex-QB, so he has a little potential as a gimmick player like when he threw a pass to Wilson, today.

Bates also volunteered to become a FB last preseason before injuring himself, so I would assume along with his size and strength factor his blocking ability is top notch.

And he has some dog in him or competitive will for example when he didn't back down from Richard Sherman in OTAs.

If the Seahawks carry 6 WRs, right now, I would say the front runners of that battle is Lockette, Bates, and the forgotton Brian Walters (who was actually ahead of Lockette on the depth chart last season, IIRC).

With Kevin Smith, Arceto Clark, Chris Matthews, and Morell Pressley (amongst others if they are also eligible) likely competing for 1 or 2 Practice Squad spots, although if there was a true Darkhorse at WR it would definately be ex-UW WR Kevin Smith. In limited action thus far, Smith has stood out.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":23u8wz4n said:
Nope, Bates has size, length, strength, mixed in with some outstanding athleticism and has shown some great progression at WR since 2012. As long as he show he can be a strong contributor on special teams, he has as much of an opportunity as any to earn a spot on the roster.

Bates is an ex-QB, so he has a little potential as a gimmick player like when he threw a pass to Wilson, today.

Bates also volunteered to become a FB last preseason before injuring himself, so I would assume along with his size and strength factor his blocking ability is top notch.

And he has some dog in him or competitive will for example when he didn't back down from Richard Sherman in OTAs.

If the Seahawks carry 6 WRs, right now, I would say the front runners of that battle is Lockette, Bates, and the forgotton Brian Walters (who was actually ahead of Lockette on the depth chart last season, IIRC).

With Kevin Smith, Arceto Clark, Chris Matthews, and Morell Pressley (amongst others if they are also eligible) likely competing for 1 or 2 Practice Squad spots, although if there was a true Darkhorse at WR it would definately be ex-UW WR Kevin Smith. In limited action thus far, Smith has stood out.
Have you ever written less than two paragraphs? I don't think you could do it if you were paid. [emoji433] [emoji1]

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It's going to be an uphill battle for him to make the roster. There are six receivers ahead of Bates right now:
Percy Harvin
Doug Baldwin
Jermaine Kearse
Paul Richardson
Kevin Norwood
Ricardo Lockette

I wonder if Bates wouldn't have a better shot if he moved back to fullback. If he cleared waivers, he would probably make the practice squad.

Interesting take on the receivers from a fan who attended the first practice:
Harvin looked great. In my opinion, he was the most explosively quick-twitch athlete on the field. He took a fly sweep around the corner and, sticking closely behind a Luke Willson lead block, broke it into the open field down the sideline. He ran a few intermediate underneath routes, which provided an outlet checkdown option for Wilson, and on those he looked extremely fast. He's just fast. I think everyone there watching would agree that he looks like the superstar we expected, and the only, literally only thing that matters is that he stays healthy.

Past Harvin, I thought the other standout at receiver was Kevin Norwood, a Seahawks fourth round pick this year out of Alabama. He caught three sideline passes (that I saw) after running deep outs or crossing routes, and provided exactly what had been projected -- a big target with soft hands. He displayed great body control to go up and get one off-target pass that came in at an awkward angle, and smoothly brought it in and turned upfield to run. I can see how this guy developed a reputation as a "quarterback's best friend" with the Crimson Tide.

Paul Richardson definitely looked fast -- he caught a high pass at the sideline as well, but was otherwise quiet. Kevin Smith, the former Husky, looked good, and had a few nice catches, including the previously mentioned duck from Terrelle Pryor, in which Smith waited and more or less boxed out Chandler Fenner until it hit him in the hands.

Taylor Price was another guy that stood out slightly to me -- he didn't have a ton of catches or anything, but he's an extremely smooth athlete that moves really well on the football field. He has a gliding gait that I would say is somewhat similar to Doug Baldwin -- effortless looking. He may be a total long-shot for the roster, but his speed was apparent.

Overall, in fact, speed was the one thing that really stood out for Seattle's receiving corps. There is more speed in this group than I can ever remember. One instance: Ricardo Lockette caught a ball on the sideline then turned on the jets upfield, easily beating (I think it was) Brock Coyle as he pursued in a zone coverage, and jailbroke what should have been a short gain. They didn't call it a touchdown -- Coyle did tap him and they whistled it dead, but I think Lockette had the angle on him that meant in a real game situation he could have been long-gone. (For the record, I think Coyle had a pretty nice day - especially when he blew up a screen play by the offense).

Phil Bates is fast. Bryan Walters and Arceto Clark are both very quick in the slot. This new guy David Gilreath is very quick. Kevin Smith has nice speed and is an intriguing size. Really only Chris Matthews looked slow, and he's enormous, so his height is his standout feature.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-offseason ... hawn-lynch

Throwdown

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1xauonon said:
It's going to be an uphill battle for him to make the roster. There are six receivers ahead of Bates right now:
Percy Harvin
Doug Baldwin
Jermaine Kearse
Paul Richardson
Kevin Norwood
Ricardo Lockette

I wonder if Bates wouldn't have a better shot if he moved back to fullback. If he cleared waivers, he would probably make the practice squad.

I don't think Bates is able to wind up on the PS anymore, he's spent a good portion of the last 2 years on it.

I personally don't see Bates making the team, but I've been surprised before, so who knows.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Throwdown":22ecwvhv said:
hawknation2014":22ecwvhv said:
Percy Harvin
Doug Baldwin
Jermaine Kearse
Paul Richardson
Kevin Norwood
Ricardo Lockette

I don't think Bates is able to wind up on the PS anymore, he's spent a good portion of the last 2 years on it.

I personally don't see Bates making the team, but I've been surprised before, so who knows.

Isn't there a rule that would allow him on the practice squad for a third season because he has no prior accrued seasons on the active roster?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Can Russell adjust his throws to account for the speed of the player he is targeting?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
brimsalabim":27kie1ur said:
Can Russell adjust his throws to account for the speed of the player he is targeting?
I don't know... let's ask Jaws.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
May the best men win!!! That's exactly what we've come to expect and will continue to be the bottom line. Preseason is going to be fun!

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
From my two training camps thus far, I have that both locket and bates looked Good. last year I thought bates was a bit rough around the edges, but he was better then the year before. Locket seems to have polished up a bit also. Locket is a little faster, but smaller then bates, and plays special teams. bates is bigger and I must admit, he is Looking good at camp so far.... But,, each day is different..

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'm sure his chances rely solely on his ST contributions.. he'd have to outplay Ricardo on ST to have a shot at the team, since he's the likely 6th WR now that Rice retired.

chris98251

Reaction score
Have to be careful with player build ups in pre season also, it's also a marketing ploy used for trades, were at that point where we may start doing some of that given depth at spots. I prefer the eye's of .Net right now. Things from the Times and other sources just don't give much credibility as they seem to change from day to day.

Dreo

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":1fdgbjtf said:
From my two training camps thus far, I have that both locket and bates looked Good. last year I thought bates was a bit rough around the edges, but he was better then the year before. Locket seems to have polished up a bit also. Locket is a little faster, but smaller then bates, and plays special teams. bates is bigger and I must admit, he is Looking good at camp so far.... But,, each day is different..

What is training camp like? Lots of hard work I assume.