Is Matthews a legit spot contender?

KB1999

Reaction score
I'm a born and raised Seattleite living in LA.... Need my Hawks info.... What's the word on Chris Matthews.... The giant receiver we signed out of the CFL? How has he been doing in the OTAs?

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Let me count first...

Harvin, Baldwin, Richardson, Kearse, Norwood, Rice...

If Rice isn't healthy enough then yes

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Pretty stacked position. I imagine he is destined for the practice squad.

Wilson mentioned him the other day. Probably won't get a real good assessment until camp and the pre-season games.

nanomoz

Reaction score
It won't be easy for him. Russell praised him recently.

Richardson, Harvin, And Baldwin are absolute locks. A case could be made that Kearse and Norwood are, too. That leaves one roster spot if the Hawks go into the season with 6 wr's. Matthews will be competing with Rice, Clark, Lockette, Walters, Bates, and Taylor Price.

I always hoped Bates would figure it out, such an intriguing athlete with trick play/emergency qb potential. It's gonna be a battle.

joeshaney

Reaction score
If there is one thing we should have learned over the last few years it is this.....
Everybody is a contender. Gotta earn it though.

I would agree that, in all likelihood, it's either Sidney or Matthews or (my sleeper) Bates. My money is on Sidney IF healthy.

Erebus

Reaction score
nanomoz":2dgxyw58 said:
A case could be made that Kearse and Norwood are, too.

A strong case could be made for Kearse and Norwood making the team, because they probably will. But considering we cut a 4th round rookie WR last year, I don't see any way Norwood is a lock.

If Matthews is impressive enough to make the team, it could very well be at Norwood's expense.

nanomoz

Reaction score
True, Erebus, but I've seen several posters assuming Norwood's spot.

FWIW, There could be one more spot "more open" to competition than last year, when Tate, Baldwin, Rice, and Harvin were pretty firmly entrenched.

Norwood's odds seem better than that Kansas State dude from last year.

godawg

Reaction score
I'd like to see Rice start on PUP to give us six weeks of Chris Matthews to evaluate.

Mick063

Reaction score
I think Kearse has trade value after his spectacular touchdown in the Superbowl as well as some big plays sprinkled throughout the season. He flashed a memorable kickoff return in the last preseason as well. He is redundant with respect to size and he is due for a pay upgrade within two seasons. His current contract is very favorable for trade. It isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Only if Williams shines big in the offseason and preseason, Carroll felt they had to make room for Williams, and a team offered equitable value, do I envision that JS would pull the trigger on trading Kearse. Turning an UDFA into a draft pick is always a net gain as opposed to simply letting him become an unrestricted free agent in the near future. It depends on what they believe the compensatory pick would be I suppose.

As mentioned in previous posts, the most likely scenario is that Williams simply beats Rice for the final spot. Not a tall order considering the team has already released Rice once and they do show a penchant for staying collectively young.

In my opinion, Rice is going to have to work his butt off and stay on the field without health issues to keep the final spot. It is also possible that Rice and Williams push Norwood to the practice squad as well.

In the end, Rice, Williams, and Norwood are playing for two spots unless all three play their way into the fore mentioned Kearse trade.

This is the deepest I have seen the team at wide receiver in a long time.

oasis

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I think Chris Mathews is going to take Norwood's spot.

King Dog

Reaction score
From the moment we drafted the Kansas dude last year I never understood the pick.

Regarding Matthews. I read one day he tore it up, the next day or whatever he had some drops. I think it was from Boiling.

mikeak

Reaction score
Norwood wouldn't last on the PS. Matthews might unless he has a great pre-season

Such things matter

Lockette was cut by the 49ers last year. Considering their receiving corps was in shambles makes me wonder about our bottom. I think our top WRs are getting there but still room at the bottom

joeshaney

Reaction score
Harvin
Baldwin
Richardson
Kearse
Norwood
= locks

Sure, I know, there's no such thing as locks.
But these dudes are locks. Kearse keeps getting better [Lazik].
People use Chris Harper as reasoning why Norwood could get cut. I argue the opposite. Knowing he won't be handed a job should be motivation for him. More importantly, I'd give 100:1 odds that Pete and John will not strike out twice in two years on 4th rd wrs. Won't happen.

entropyrulesall

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2l00qd9m said:
Who's Williams?

He's confusing last years long-shot Stephen Williams with this years' Chris Mathews.

Interestingly I think the exact same scenario will play out as last year. Mathews will flash in preseason, score some leaping TD's but will be cut for the same reason that put him in the CFL, his lack of speed. He might make PS or another squad.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Wilson said Mathews was providing the big target we lack but then Sherm said he dropped some catch able balls. It sounds like they are pulling for him to step up though.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Erebus":3bwtxnr4 said:
nanomoz":3bwtxnr4 said:
A case could be made that Kearse and Norwood are, too.

A strong case could be made for Kearse and Norwood making the team, because they probably will. But considering we cut a 4th round rookie WR last year, I don't see any way Norwood is a lock.

If Matthews is impressive enough to make the team, it could very well be at Norwood's expense.

Rumors are he didn't have the mental fortitude the team needed. Also the drops all through the preseason were brutal.