Baldwin long-term deal close

jblaze

Reaction score
Baldwin has received a long term contract offer from the Hawks and he's counter offered. He also said that he will play this season one way or the other, either under tender or extension and will not hold out.

This is great news! We have 5 total players not under contract at this point (Baldwin has not signed his tender) and we have over 10M in cap space remaining. 4 are rookies so those hits are small which gives us plenty of room to extend Baldwin.

Sounds like this will get done soon! Quite the offseason so far of taking care of our own! Glad to see the front office walking the walk after talking the talk.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... extension/

kidhawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1q2gx0du said:
It doesn't sound imminent, but I am hopeful that it gets done. I wonder what a good baseline is for a deal? They offered Tate something like 4/20. What would they give Baldwin? Around that number?

I agree. Doesn't sound imminent at all. Does sound positive though. They are in negotiations and I believe something will get done sooner rather than later

From the article...

“It’s going to take some time,” he said. “It’s just the process of going through the negotiations, that’s just what it is. … it’s still very early in the stages of the conversation and I don’t know how long it’s going to take. But hopefully we can get something done soon.

Definition of Imminent...

im·mi·nent [im-uh-nuhnt]
adjective

likely to occur at any moment; impending: Her death is imminent.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3ga392vg said:
It doesn't sound imminent, but I am hopeful that it gets done. I wonder what a good baseline is for a deal? They offered Tate something like 4/20. What would they give Baldwin? Around that number?

If Baldwin takes over as a punt returner, I would say he is worth just as much as Tate. We all saw how he was a decent (if not good) KO returner. If he can be a good punt returner, he would be worth as much as Tate.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think "Baldwin extension negotiations ongoing" would be a more appropriate title.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
OP please edit the title and replace "imminent" with "close". You really got my hopes up with the incorrect wording. Thanks.

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
FFS guys, the deal is imminent based on every definition I know or have read. It will get done. If they offered a contract and he counter offered, that's a very positive sign. All signs have been pointing towards this getting done.

Imminent meaning likely to occur at any moment. That definition fits just fine.

I've changed the title for you ninnies.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
jblaze":2myurfvd said:
FFS guys, the deal is imminent based on every definition I know or have read. It will get done. If they offered a contract and he counter offered, that's a very positive sign. All signs have been pointing towards this getting done.

Imminent meaning likely to occur at any moment. That definition fits just fine.

I've changed the title for you ninnies.

If you are selling a slightly used 2013 Ferrari and are asking for $200,000, and I counter offer to pay you $15,000 for it, is our deal imminent? There is really no way to know how close Doug and the team are based on what he said since we don't know what each side offered, so stating that a deal imminent is fairly misleading.

Hopefully it is though! :thirishdrinkers:

OP
OP
jblaze

jblaze

Reaction score
Fine, perhaps imminent was a bit too optimistic. But it sure sounds very positive and I'd bet 10:1 this gets done, but perhaps not as soon as imminent would imply.

Lock up angry Doug!

Next question: What terms do you think would be appropriate?

I'm thinking 3yrs/10m. Guaranteed money in years 1 and 2, about 4m.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Take this for what its worth, as I'm a pretty selfish dude; but if I'm DB and already have a SB ring, I'm hitting the market next year and going to go tear it up for the Pats, Eagles, Saints or someone who throws the ball a lot. Put him in a high volume passing O and I think he is every bit the player Welker is.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
kobebryant":1ggwlkf8 said:
Take this for what its worth, as I'm a pretty selfish dude; but if I'm DB and already have a SB ring, I'm hitting the market next year and going to go tear it up for the Pats, Eagles, Saints or someone who throws the ball a lot. Put him in a high volume passing O and I think he is every bit the player Welker is.

The WR market is still strong for players on the outside, but it got wonky for slot receivers as of a couple years ago. Welker's contract has an AAV of 6M a year. Edelman has an AAV of 4.5M (and had to come back to NE to get it after shopping around).

I guess Amendola got 6M AAV too, but that seemed like a spite contract to get back at Welker, and certainly people were skeptical that he'd live up to that value.

I think Baldwin on the free market is still only getting 5M AAV *tops* because people don't see him as an outside guy all the time and would probably put him in the slot. I could be wrong, though.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Give him 5 years, 20 million w/ 12 million guaranteed (including 5 mil signing bonus)

Yr 1: 3 mil
Yr 2: 3 mil
Yr 3: 4 mil
*Team Option*
Yr 4: 5 mil
Yr 5: 5 mil

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I love how President Obama took a shot at Cris Carter by ridiculing anyone who called Baldwin and the rest of the Hawk receivers pedestrian. It would be great to get this one done too. If so, is there anyway to work an extension for Wilson in under the cap or is that going to be next year's big one?