Lemuel Jeanpierre

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
With a lot of the offseason conversation based on upgrading the o-line, I don't think I have seen anyone talk about Lem as a potential starter. Much of the talk has been about whether or not Carpenter can step up and have a solid year. Potential starting opportunities are generally believed to be RT and LG. The consensus is that Lem played very well if not better than Unger as his injury replacement. Lem can play both g/c. Is Lem a viable candidate to take the LG position?

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Of any of the offensive lineman likely to be on this roster I think that Lem has the lowest likelihood of starting. He is a very solid center > guard backup. But if Lem is the answer as a starting guard then the question is very wrong.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I mentioned this in another thread and someone told me that he had trouble calling the protections for the line. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, that doesn't bode well for him being a starting C.

sutz

Reaction score
Isn't Unger a Pro-bowler? If he's healthy, he starts at C. Now, at guard, where there are fewer responsibilities, perhaps Lem should be in the mix. One of the best things about our coaches is that they seem willing to try stuff that many might see as unconventional. I've been impressed how our team has weathered injuries on the O-line since Cable has been here.

Mojambo

Reaction score
He's chronically overrated here.

Doesn't mean he's not a useful player though.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Lem is an ideal interior backup who can get you through a game (or even a few) as a super-sub and spot-starter at any of the three C/G positions. But his size limitations would expose him where he would wear down over time as a full-time starter. If he were a viable full-time starting option they never would have inserted a rookie DT-convert at RG in 2012, or rotated through Carpenter, McQuistan AND even Bowie at LG in 2013 without giving Lem a shot.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3s7vj2bv said:
Lem is an ideal interior backup who can get you through a game (or even a few) as a super-sub and spot-starter at any of the three C/G positions. But his size limitations would expose him where he would wear down over time as a full-time starter. If he were a viable full-time starting option they never would have inserted a rookie DT-convert at RG in 2012, or rotated through Carpenter, McQuistan AND even Bowie at LG in 2013 without giving Lem a shot.

I agree. Not sure why some people think the 'consensus' was that LJP was 'better' than Unger. One may have gotten an illusion of him being 'better' because he was a bit stouter at the point of attack than an injured Unger (mostly with run blocking), but his total game was not close. The disparity is even bigger when Unger is healthy. Our pass protection noticeably improved with an injured Unger, so that should tell you something.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I thought LJP looked much better when he played last season than Unger ever did. Something (probably injuries) was really off for Unger last year. Huge difference from his awesome 2012. Lets hope the 2012 Unger is back this year or I think LJP will really push for that job.