Looking ahead: Can we afford ET, Russell and Sherm?

Donk70

Reaction score
Just looking ahead one or two years, but can we afford all 3, along with Percy's 13 mill salary? RW will probably cost in the neighborhood of $18-$22 million per year, ET around $10-$14 mill and Sherm will probably be in the neighborhood of $12-$16 per year. That's alot of cabbage tied up in 4 players. Can we stay competitive with that? If we can't, wouldn't it be smart to deal Sherm this season and get a high 1st for a WR?

Just a thought.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
They CAN all be signed, but the team may have to choose 2 out of the 3...and they have basically made it clear that Sherm would be the one to go.

Even if all 3 are signed, the team will still be competitive because of the culture Pete has created here and the genius of Schneider to find diamonds in the rough.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We're fine. You can stagger the money and make it workable. The cap numbers are ballooning. Did you not notice all of the fat contracts that the Broncos just handed out with a $20M QB on their roster?

Also, you've vastly overrated their market prices. Go see what Verner, Talib, and Byrd signed for. Verner and Talib were the hottest CBs on the market. Byrd is basically as close as you get to ET at Free Safety. All three signed for <$10M/year.

P.S. there is no indication that this FO has placed a priority on any of our three core guys over the others except some unconfirmed comment from Rapoport early in the off-season. I call B.S. on that. I've said from the beginning that the plan would be to extend both Sherm and Earl this off-season. Gonna stand by that.

drdiags

Reaction score
I look at the Denver Broncos, with Manning's contract and the ones they just signed with Talib, Ward and Ware. I think the Seahawks can do the same type of maneuvering to fit all this together. They are letting most of the vets walk and the current big contracts seem to offer cap-friendly terminations by the time Wilson is eligible.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Based on the cap projections you absolutely can. Especially if you can extend ET before inflation kicks in. Having ET under contract would help in negotiations with Sherm.

jhern87

Reaction score
HawkFan72":12krizgw said:
They CAN all be signed, but the team may have to choose 2 out of the 3...and they have basically made it clear that Sherm would be the one to go.

Even if all 3 are signed, the team will still be competitive because of the culture Pete has created here and the genius of Schneider to find diamonds in the rough.

Where have they said Sherm would be the one to go? Is that because they're figuring he'll want an insane amount of $? I really hope we're able to keep Sherm, that man neutralizing one side of the field is a huge asset.

jhern87

Reaction score
One could argue that keeping our secondary intact would be more important than RW under center. This D is comparable to the Ravens of 2000 and they won with Dilfer.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jhern87":2w6ewtod said:
HawkFan72":2w6ewtod said:

Where have they said Sherm would be the one to go? Is that because they're figuring he'll want an insane amount of $? I really hope we're able to keep Sherm, that man neutralizing one side of the field is a huge asset.

They've never said that or even suggested that.

Basis4day

Reaction score
jhern87":i0i92cut said:
HawkFan72":i0i92cut said:

It's a popular assumption. ET makes the whole thing click and a top FS is going to be cheaper than a top CB.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ey1einh said:
jhern87":3ey1einh said:
HawkFan72":3ey1einh said:

The team has never said that but sources within the team have. On multiple occasions.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Basis4day":18f2efop said:
jhern87":18f2efop said:
HawkFan72":18f2efop said:

It's a popular assumption. ET makes the whole thing click and a top FS is going to be cheaper than a top CB.

Yeah, ET is the unique asset in the secondary. Ever notice how all of our corners have been successful (though obviously Sherm ahead of all)? Sherm jams at the line and then trails - this is infinitely easier than what a conventional corner does without help over the top. ET's range is what makes this happen.

That being said, I have no doubt we can afford all three.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
HawkFan72":189wp11t said:
DavidSeven":189wp11t said:
jhern87":189wp11t said:
HawkFan72":189wp11t said:

The team has never said that but sources within the team have. On multiple occasions.

I honestly don't believe much of anything that's reported by national (and even local) press during the off-season. That's an easy nugget to throw on Twitter based on how reliant Seattle is on its safety. Seems like nothing but misinformation during the off-season. I saw another source I trust state that the rumor was that Seattle fully planned to extend both this off-season. I think that makes sense based on all of the surrounding circumstances.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Donk70":22ssza92 said:
Just looking ahead one or two years, but can we afford all 3, along with Percy's 13 mill salary? RW will probably cost in the neighborhood of $18-$22 million per year, ET around $10-$14 mill and Sherm will probably be in the neighborhood of $12-$16 per year. That's alot of cabbage tied up in 4 players. Can we stay competitive with that? If we can't, wouldn't it be smart to deal Sherm this season and get a high 1st for a WR?

Just a thought.

Where are you getting your numbers? WIlson will certainly get what your saying, THere's no way Thomas is getting 14. Just not going to happen- Jarius Byrd who is on Thomas' level (3-time probowler) is getting 9.3 per year.- 6-56mill
Thomas may get 9-10 tops,

Sherman will not get 16 or anything close to it. The market is showing this with Aquib Talib getting 6-57mil, or 9.5 per year. So again Sherman's would be similar to Thomas and may get 9-10 million.

They should be able to get both of those guys signed this year and then next year you'd have to work out Wilson and Okung. I see KJ going off to greener pastures after this season and I see them locking up Wagner Either next year or in 2016.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3b57givv said:
HawkFan72":3b57givv said:

I honestly don't believe much of anything that's reported by national (and even local) press during the off-season. That's an easy nugget to throw on Twitter based on how reliant Seattle is on its safety. Seems like nothing but misinformation during the off-season. I saw another source I trust state that the rumor was that Seattle fully planned to extend both this off-season. I think that makes sense based on all of the surrounding circumstances.

Oh I agree they want to extend both. I have no doubt. That is what they plan to do. All I have seen is that if they HAVE to choose only 2 of the 3, Sherman would be #3.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Sherman is the smartest of the 3, and I think he may understand his image moving forward, his ability to land big time endorsement deals is highly dependent on being with a strong defense that allows him to shine. I absolutely love Sherm, but if he were to go to a team without Thomas/Chancellor would he really be the same player? Would he take the same risks he does now to make a big play without an amazing defense to coexist in? How much better is Sherm on the field because of Thomas and the rest of the defense?

He's an absolute star now in the NFL in his 3rd year in the league. How many defensive players have EVER become as household of a name as Sherman has that early in their career? He's one of the most marketable players in the league at the moment and that will continue as long as he is with a core defense that allows him to shine. This, may account for more money overall in Sherms pocket than a couple million per season elsewhere, which is why he may be more reasonable with a contract than trying to max out the Hawks budget.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Worst case scenario, we can sign Russ, sign Earl and then we franchise Sherman for a couple of years if we want to keep them around.

Latest posts