Looking ahead: Can we afford ET, Russell and Sherm?

rcaido

Reaction score
Core guys will be fine...Sherman is a core guy.

joeshaney

Reaction score
I think they keep all 3. They should try to resign Sherman like now. Now that Revis is cut and the top corners aren't breaking 9 it couldn't be a better time.
Also, seeing Bennett take a little less and seeing that Seattle is willing to fork over guaranteed money today (instead of having to wait a year) is a pretty nice gesture. Anything can happen in a year, but other than inflation I do not see what incentive their would be for Sherman to want to wait.

Sherman should be giddy to get something done and if his only concern is forcing the most money out of Seattle's pocket he is smarter than that. Franchise Tag.

Make him the highest paid corner under contract today and front load the first year. Pay him 10.5-11 million/yr over 5 years.

ManBunts

Reaction score
If you really want to track the numbers, check here:
http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contract ... a/seahawks

You can see how our big contract players, Harvin aside, really start to reduce in the coming years. Obviously in anticipation of some big money. I think we'll have plenty of money to keep everyone, and also extend some important players (Wright, Wagner, among others) down the road.

Also, and I get sad just thinking it, but Beast Mode's contract is up after 2015, so there's some more free money. Okung's hit drops by half after 2014. Miller (if he's with us and doesn't restructure) is cheap after 2014.

So fear not folks, plenty of money for the future.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
There is no way that our FO will let any of these 3 guys go. Get it out of your heads now. On the flip side. lets say we offer sherm 10 million a year and he gets an offer for lets say 12 million a year. Well if they have state tax that's really only 1.4 million more a year. I think he will stay, just like Bennett did, to play for a team that will consistently win and have the opportunity for multiple championships. Home town discount is a thing. Bennett clearly took one to stay here, the rest will follow.

TXHawk

Reaction score
Revis getting cut because of that ridiculous contract will help in extending Sherman at a more reasonable price. Probably something in the $10M range. Earl Thomas will get similar. Schneider has proven he will pay top dollar for a game changing talent like Percy Harvin so he'll pay what it takes to keep guys like Wilson, Thomas, and Sherman. It's the solid but replaceable players like Golden Tate who will be allowed to walk if they get a better offer elsewhere.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Yeah, I think you can. Basically, our big contracts going forward are going to be Wilson, Bennett, Thomas, Sherman, and Harvin. We could probably add another big contract in there and still make it work, to be honest. We do see that some guys had to go - Tate, for example - but we'll keep the elite players on our team.

I hope we extend Baldwin this year, though. If he tests the open market, he'll probably get more than we can give him. Hope we can get him to agree to something reasonable early on.

joeshaney

Reaction score
Looks like Shermans price is at least 12 million unless he's uses his Stanford education to realize money doesn't buy happiness and takes less, lol.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
joeshaney":1k32epwf said:
Looks like Shermans price is at least 12 million unless he's uses his Stanford education to realize money doesn't buy happiness and takes less, lol.

$10-11m over 5 years > $12m over one year.

OP
OP
Donk70

Donk70

Reaction score
With Sherm, it's going to depend on guaranteed money.