Seattle: City of Champions

Steve2222

Reaction score
I knew the Sounders were good. But I'll be honest, I had no idea they 3 Peted the uS Open (which I'm taking it is the MLS Super Bowl)?

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Very complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Hunt_U.S._Open_Cup

Given the age of the MLS (circa 1996, as far as actual play is concerned) winning the Open Cup is actually semi cool. It isnt the FIFA World Cup or anything, but still it is worthy of celebration.

With that said though, it is still NO super bowl. :)

Edit: They not only 3-peated and were the first MLS team to ever do so, but they also appeared in a 4th consecutive title match and lost after regulation in a penalty shootout.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Sounders_FC

CPHawk

Reaction score
So winning the cup is the same as winning the mls playoffs? That's like saying that having the best regular season record is the same as a Super Bowl. All that matters to most people is who's holding the trophy after the playoffs.

rightbench

Reaction score
I don't know who the chick is supposed to be but that guy isn't Lamarr Neagle.

The US Open Cup is a competition among all levels of US soccer (not just MLS teams). It's a random draw tournament. there's not really a comparison in football, or baseball, or well.... any other sport really.

CPHawk

Reaction score
rightbench":1jtq239z said:

The US Open Cup is a competition among all levels of US soccer (not just MLS teams). It's a random draw tournament. there's not really a comparison in football, or baseball, or well.... any other sport really.

Wasn't there a team from Cali in it that was a rec team?

Basically winning this cup seems like winning the Maui invitational but if there was nba teams involved as well. Still seems like a lot of talk about a cup, that isn't a mls title.

FormerEvil

Reaction score
CPHawk":1dh7u5dj said:
rightbench":1dh7u5dj said:

Wasn't there a team from Cali in it that was a rec team?

Basically winning this cup seems like winning the Maui invitational but if there was nba teams involved as well. Still seems like a lot of talk about a cup, that isn't a mls title.

This is pretty much it. Only that some of the MLS teams that make the cup tournament couldn't give a rats ass about it deep down. They all want to be competitive but they don't always commit the personnel resources (most rest starters and play backups) to really give it a real go. The Sounders however have always seemed to care a lot. When it comes down to it, it isn't the MLS Cup and that is that league's Super Bowl. Call me when the Sounders win the MLS cup..

korboko

Reaction score
THE US Cup doesn't count. The MLS Championship is called the MLS Cup. What the Sounders have won are minor cups, not World Championships. It's like in the NCAA, where the Huskies win the Apple Cup but not BCS National title.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Yeah none of those count, you can't tell me any differently.

I miss the Sonics, at least they mattered.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
The phrase was "hasn't won a MAJOR title since 1979".......... MAJOR

CrimsonWazzu

Reaction score
sc85sis":1r7ad43b said:
So it's kind of like winning the CBI?

Fixed.

And winning the MLS Cup is like winning the Conference USA or the NIT. It is a 2nd tier professional league. A mid-major, if you will.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1cmd7w33 said:
I thought the MLS Championship was called the MLS Cup. What's the U.S. Open?

The US Open is our version of the FA Cup if you're familiar with the Premiere League. Knockout style tournament for MLS teams and lower division teams that's played throughout the spring, summer and fall.

What set the Sounders apart in the Open Cup is they were the first MLS team in a LONG time to take the US Open Cup seriously, which is why they won it three times in a row. Before 2009, MLS teams would just half ass Open Cup matches by playing their scrub players because they didn't give a crap.