How many Super Bowls does Wilson need?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Let's say he never becomes anything more than a "game manager" and that his stats are always sort of pedestrian because of the style of offense the Hawks run. How many Super Bowls does he need to get into the Hall of Fame? Obviously any quarterback can win one and not be great (*cough* Dilfer *cough*). But how many does it take? Eli Manning has 2 and I don't think of him as a Hall of Fame Quarterback (though I guess it won't surprise me if he gets in). Could Russell conceivably get 2 and not be Hall of Fame worthy? I would think a QB with 3 would be a shoe-in, but then again, Eli could get another one and I still wouldn't think of him as being that great. Thoughts?

Anthony!

Reaction score
HawkGA":389cr0q7 said:
Let's say he never becomes anything more than a "game manager" and that his stats are always sort of pedestrian because of the style of offense the Hawks run. How many Super Bowls does he need to get into the Hall of Fame? Obviously any quarterback can win one and not be great (*cough* Dilfer *cough*). But how many does it take? Eli Manning has 2 and I don't think of him as a Hall of Fame Quarterback (though I guess it won't surprise me if he gets in). Could Russell conceivably get 2 and not be Hall of Fame worthy? I would think a QB with 3 would be a shoe-in, but then again, Eli could get another one and I still wouldn't think of him as being that great. Thoughts?

There is more at play here than SB. What if Rw is the player who led the way for the 6 foot and under QBs. What if the way we think about QBs changed because of him. That alone could get him in, then add in SB wins, consecutive 100+ qb rating years, etc. He is already on his way doing things no other QB has ever done. So I think regardless of yards which is really the only stats were he is not top 10 in, he has everything else. As far as Eli goes you are correct he has 2 SB rings, and I would also not consider him a HOF, the main reason is to many bad seasons, and way to much talent around him on offense. He has way more talent around him than Rw does and it is not even close.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Russell is the epitome of consistent, if he wins two he's better than most and he's already won one in two years in the league.

He's on the path to the HOF, as it is right now.

I also don't believe in the game manager BS. He's a solid QB and has earned the right to be called one of the leagues best.

12HawkFan

Reaction score
As many as he wants!

If he stays healthy and the line stays good and gets better over the next few years, who knows.

Factor in keeping the D in tip top form, LOOK OUT!!!

GO HAWKS!!!

jblaze

Reaction score
HOF is about consistency and moreso, stats. HOF voters look at stats more than anything so in this regard, it hurts RW's chances because currently he's not asking to put up gaudy numbers. That said, SB rings also holds sway with voters so even if he puts up the numbers he does not for the rest of his career, I'd say he would need 3 rings to be a shoe in.

However, my guess is that once Lynch is done, RW progresses and we get better receivers, we'll transition into more of a passing offense. I do not mean a full pass offense, just more than we are now which will help his numbers so I see these issues being less of a problem.

I do agree though that he's currently on a path to be in the HOF but at current pace stats wise, it would not be a first ballot type.

edit: The other thing to consider here is that the NFL is obviously pushing for more passing offense via rules, etc. and 5k passing seasons will become common place before long. So as the proclivity of the NFL offensive numbers go and exceptional becomes average, the perceptions of the voters will change as well so 5k will become the new norm if not 6k, etc. The point is the criteria will have to change as the NFL averages change.

Sac

Reaction score
If Russell plays a reasonably long career with a passer rating over 100, he's in the HOF. He's already a champion and owns or shares a number of records.

Did you guys realize he has the rookie record for consecutive passes completed? Set in the Miami game.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":zeu9pkko said:
I also don't believe in the game manager BS. He's a solid QB and has earned the right to be called one of the leagues best.

I don't buy it either but the sad fact is that the media do and they are the ones who vote on the Hall of Fame. So I guess another way to word the question would be, how many Super Bowls does it take for the media to be forced to get passed their own biases.

The point about changing the game for small QBs is interesting. I'm sure Drew Brees will get more credit for that though. I wonder how much Wilson's perceived value will depend inversely on Luck and RGIII. If they eventually get rings (or just one of them) will Wilson always be playing second fiddle. But if, 10 years from now, Wilson is the only one of those 3 with a ring (or rings) does it finally start to stand out.

OP
OP
H

HawkGA

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3jaokw5a said:
Did you guys realize he has the rookie record for consecutive passes completed? Set in the Miami game.

I did not. Sadly, I bet none of the HOF voters do either.

That said, I could totally see a scenario where the voters go into their room with a pretty good idea Wilson is not getting the nod, the person arguing Wilson's case starts listing off the records and the stats and the other voters go, "Oh crap, we have to put him in."

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Eli's numbers were garbage for his first four seasons. Russell has been setting/tying meaningful QB records in just two years. I don't think that comparison fits.

Troy Aikman made the HOF based on wins and efficiency and is generally remembered as a great QB. I think that's the floor for Russell's career trajectory assuming he stays healthy and has the right pieces around him. He has the chance to be way more special.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Anyone who calls RW a game manager doesn't know what game manager means.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Everything comes into to play. Eli has 2 rings as stated and he's probably not a HOFer, Peyton has only 1, but he's no doubt going to be in the HOF. RW keeps playing like he does, hopefully continuing to improve, maybe winning at least 1 more SB in the process. No doubt he is a future HOFer.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If Russell maintains a 95-100 rating and similar TD/INT and continues to play on competitive teams for over a decade, he makes the HOF easily IMO. Doesn't matter if he wins another ring.

theascension

Reaction score
Teams? I hope you mean team(s) as in Seattle. I have no doubt in my mind he'll start to get a bit more offense going with Harvin (hopefully healthy) next year. The dude trains harder than almost anyone in the league. If we can lock him down for 10+ years in Seattle we'll almost certainly have more shots at the Superbowl.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
theascension":182q3nhx said:
Teams? I hope you mean team(s) as in Seattle.

Yeah. 2013 Seahawks, 2014 Seahawks, 2021 Seahawks, etc.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Theres no such thing as a game manager. Its just what people call a QB whos offense isnt 90% centered around him flinging the ball around because they have zero balance. Nobody ever called elway a fking game manager when they had terrell davis, and he was damn near the same player wilson is, but slower.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I hope he has one more than everybody else, so 5 is good with me.

Tical21

Reaction score
Ohhhhh, Eli is in. He's going to be top 5 in yards in history. And 2 rings? Doesn't get a whole lot better than that.

Russell is in his second year. His career has several turns left in it. Let's worry about getting another ring and continuing to improve on offense. The hall ain't going anywhere.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Eli getting into the HoF will be annoying as hell, in my opinion. Seriously, just look at where he has ranked in the NFL by passer rating every year of his career to date. ONE YEAR in the top ten.

ONE.