Advice needed for a fan in limbo!

Cosmicmix

Reaction score
Hello Hawks fans!!! I needed some advice on a tough situation pertaining to fan allegiance in the NFL. Let me start off by saying, I was born and raised in Spokane Washington, and moved here to Colorado Springs when I was 8, I'm 20 now. As a young kid I grew up a Supersonics and Seahawks fan, although I didn't really understand football at that age. Back in like 06 I started understanding the sport a bit more so I became a bit of a bandwagoner (I was 12 keep in mind) and became a Ravens fan. I wasn't a serious "fan" really though cause I just followed the team whenever they were successful. Then about two years back I seriously started following the Denver Broncos, because I got caught up in the Manning hype living in Colorado and all. I bought the jersey, shirts, whole shabang, but it was just like an aesthetic kind of fan relationship, where I more looked the part then actually felt it. The harder part was, my immediate family are not football fans almost at all so I never really had a family team to associate with. Well after this last Super Bowl I got back into really close contact with my family in Washington (all hawks fans) and I've really gotten closer wth those in my home state and back to my roots. Now I learn a few members of my family are moving here and now is my chance to develop my connection with a team finally, especially with family at my side. My dad was raised a hawks fan, my family are all hawks fans, plus I'm a Washington native. If I only liked teams because they are winning teams, I would have been a Pats or Steelers fan long ago. It's not about winning, it's about being able to finally become a true fan of a team that had significance to me. Plus Kam Chancellor was my favorite college player of all time back at Virginia Tech ;) so I guess my question is, am I considered a bandwagon fan for making one final switch to a team that I can finally connect with? I know quite a bit about Seahawks history, and especially with Hawks and Broncos history, when I made it clear my intention to devote myself to the northwest behemoth, I got quite some flak. Any advice and input would be appreciated!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cosmicmix":3lrjcak1 said:
so I guess my question is, am I considered a bandwagon fan for making one final switch to a team that I can finally connect with?

No, because you were born in WA and started out as a Hawks fan.........so it's not hard to explain to people why you're rooting for the team you first loved.

The very definition of a bandwagon fan is one that has no interest in said team until they get good, or a fan that jumps around from team to team. You fit neither of these definitions.

Brahn

Reaction score
Many may disagree with me. But I say cheer for whoever makes you happy. I never understood the jumping to a new team until the Sonics left. Now after having to follow a new NBA team I say do what you want.

I just never could see abandoning the Mariners, Hawks, or future NHL team. It makes your Championships mean sooo much more, when you stick in there through the bad times.

OP
OP
Cosmicmix

Cosmicmix

Reaction score
Thanks a lot man!! I really appreciate the feedback, I just needed some reaffirmation from a fellow Hawks man! I'm excited for this renewed relationship with my fellow Seattle fans!

OP
OP
Cosmicmix

Cosmicmix

Reaction score
Good point Brahn, since the Sonics have been gone, I've had to become a Nuggets fan. But if the Sonics ever come back, I'll don the Green and Yellow in a heartbeat

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
I too was born in Washington and grew up in the SF Bay Area. East Bay to be exact. When I was a kid it was Raiders. Then in '76 Seattle got a team. I got tons of flak for rooting for them 'cause I had just rooted for the Raiders in Superbowl XI. But I was 23, fresh out of college and nobody was gonna tell me I couldn't root for my home state team. I say go for it. Be a 12, be the best 12 you can be. If you saw that parade yesterday and listened to the team speak, you'll know the team realizes the impact we have on them. Where else does that happen? To that degree, anyway... GO HAWKS!!!

pmedic920

Reaction score
The team you choose to be a fan of is 100% up to you. The level of allegiance to that team is also 100% up to you.
Most of the members here LOVE the Seahawks and are die hard fans. Most are also ok with new/band wagon fans. This is a great time to be a Seahawk fan.
My only advise to you would be, to pick a team, fall in love with that team and enjoy the ride. Stay with that team through thick and thin.
Remember this, it's the lean years that make the fat ones, all the more tasty.
GoHawks.

LusciousJames

Reaction score
Sports is supposed to be fun; root for whoever you want.

There are people who get resentful when the bandwagon fills up because they suffered through bad seasons following a team, and they consider that some kind of badge of honor; it's not. Have fun.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I was born on the Washington side of the gorge and grew up loving the hawks, the Dawgs, the Mariners, and the Portland trailblazers. I moved to Portland when I was 7 and was there until I was 11, during their championship tries. I cried at those losses like I did for the hawks in 2006. Having said that, I always loved the sonics too. Kids don't understand the rivalry until they get older so it was never a problem for me. So when the sonics were ripped away, I still had Portland. When the sonics are back, it's a fresh start and I'll be in all the way. Point is, once you go in, go in for the long haul. Don't use the fact that they are great now as a bridge. We waited a long time for this, so as long as you're prepared to stick out the tough times, you'll have my blessing--not that you need it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NorCalHawk12":qampp1db said:
I too was born in Washington and grew up in the SF Bay Area. East Bay to be exact. When I was a kid it was Raiders. Then in '76 Seattle got a team. I got tons of flak for rooting for them 'cause I had just rooted for the Raiders in Superbowl XI. But I was 23, fresh out of college and nobody was gonna tell me I couldn't root for my home state team. I say go for it. Be a 12, be the best 12 you can be. If you saw that parade yesterday and listened to the team speak, you'll know the team realizes the impact we have on them. Where else does that happen? To that degree, anyway... GO HAWKS!!!

Good point.

I think what separates and makes our fan base so unique is the fact that it encompasses not just a city, but an entire region of the country. From Alaska to Northern CA to Idaho to even Hawaii. So unlike other areas of the country where it's a very finite area of fans, ours is spread out over thousands of miles.

OP
OP
Cosmicmix

Cosmicmix

Reaction score
I love all the input!!! I am ready to fully devote myself to a NFL team and what better then my home state! I love the 12 man, and the whole culture of the Seahawks squad! And I am definitely ready to stick with the Seahawks through thick and thin! And I think embracing my fellow fans, especially in this forum, will only help strengthen the bond!

jhawk91

Reaction score
LusciousJames":qxjy580m said:

There are people who get resentful when the bandwagon fills up because they suffered through bad seasons following a team, and they consider that some kind of badge of honor; it's not. Have fun.

My take on that is to welcome new fans or even so called band wagon fans but if you jump ship to the hawks bandwagon I'd expect you to stay a hawks fan through thick and thin. (Those that do won't regret it, being a 12 is awesome, it feels like a giant family)

So cosmicmix, welcome to being a 12, be loud and proud man!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jhawk91":au7cimc5 said:
LusciousJames":au7cimc5 said:

My take on that is to welcome new fans or even so called band wagon fans but if you jump ship to the hawks bandwagon I'd expect you to stay a hawks fan through thick and thin. (Those that do won't regret it, being a 12 is awesome, it feels like a giant family)

So cosmicmix, welcome to being a 12, be loud and proud man!

NO MORE THIN! EVER!

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Yes, welcome to the 12's!! Fun post by the way.

I was born and raised in the Great PNW, but live in KC now. It's funny so many people saying, "Oh you must be a bandwagon fan!" I say, "First off even if I was who cares. I don't see all the Steelers, Patriots, Cowboy, Bronco, Raiders, Packer, etc. bandwagon fans caring or being treated any different by there fan bases. Nor should they. Second, really a Seahawks bandwagon fan, has there ever been one of those?"

Now maybe there will be, but who cares welcome to one and all. To the other posters point though, if being labelled a "bandwagoner" does bother you, you aren't because you were born there and started as one.

Enjoy the ride and welcome to .Net we are happy to have you!

Go Hawks!! Best fans in the world!!!

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
A Ravens fan, became a serious Bronco fan two years ago, making the "final" switch to the Hawks after they win the Super Bowl. Meh, you do what you will but you asked us if you are a bandwagon fan and my answer is yes. You described one perfectly. If you ask this question in five years (or after a down year if sooner) and you're still a Hawks fan? I'll say no. :twocents:

Msfann

Reaction score
Everyone becomes a fan in their own way, a lot of people here who look like super fans may not have been fans since the day they were born but eventually something clicked and they became fans.

I don't like the whole bandwagon label thing because to me it shouldn't matter when someone officially becomes a fan but more so that they DID become a fan.

I would imagine that a lot of the people who have been labeled as bandwagon fans are now fans for life, gotta start somewhere.

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
XxxZagnutxxX":13vy5pfw said:
A Ravens fan, became a serious Bronco fan two years ago, making the "final" switch to the Hawks after they win the Super Bowl. Meh, you do what you will but you asked us if you are a bandwagon fan and my answer is yes. You described one perfectly. If you ask this question in five years (or after a down year if sooner) and you're still a Hawks fan? I'll say no. :twocents:
The kid's 20. He's just finding an identity. Let it be a 12. We'll see you later when someone else wins the Superbowl. Of course, that won't be anyone else for 4 or 5 years... :|

OP
OP
Cosmicmix

Cosmicmix

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't had time to respond to everyone on here, been in class and just got a break. I can understand how my past support for teams looks a bit sketchy, but the way I look at it, if I was a true fan of those teams I would have felt a strong enough connection with the fan base and franchise that I would never think to leave. If I was a typical bandwagoner I would be about all the winners of the last decade and for the record I HATE the patriots and steelers. So I'm ready to embrace being a 12, supporting the Hawks through thick and thin, and becoming one of the loudest superfans in time!

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
NorCalHawk12":3opxii22 said:
XxxZagnutxxX":3opxii22 said:
The kid's 20. He's just finding an identity. Let it be a 12. We'll see you later when someone else wins the Superbowl. Of course, that won't be anyone else for 4 or 5 years... :|

Not implying anything about the op, but young men around 20 do a lot of stupid things, drink too much, say immature things, make mistakes ect.... Just cause they're 20 excuse the fact that they act like poo heads, but it does make it more understandable.

Moral of the story is zagnut is exactly right, op is the very definition of a band Wagon fan lol couldn't be more clear then to leave the losing super bowl team. But since op is young, if you end up being a true fan then cool, got plenty of years to keep your loyalties in tact, doesn't matter to me, welcome aboard op.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
That's awesome Cosmicmix. Welcome aboard, and as was mentioned earlier follow who you want and then get fanatical about them.

Go Hawks!