The N "IF" L ... Superbowl version

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
I been hearing a ton of Niners fans saying that if they were to have gone to the Superbowl they would have dominated the Bronco's more than us.

So if it was SF vs DEN how do you guys think the outcome would have been?

I honestly don't think they would have performed as great as we did. In fact, i think it would have been a closer game and i'm also leaning on them losing to the Bronco's. I say this mainly because i felt that we won this game starting from the secondary then the dline. In comparison their secondary may have not won the match up with Bronco's receivers. Thoughts?

Sac

Reaction score
I don't think SF loses to the Broncos. They can harass the QB as well as us and would have abused their O line. There secondary isn't as good, so the Broncos probably would have scored a few more points, but their defense would have been dominated by SF.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
One of my friends is a 49er fan, actually lives in Seattle, his facebook this week has been nothing but butt-hurt back handed comments, I actually find it quite funny to read. It's a lot of grasping at straws right now, LOL. I imagine looking at ESPN or NFL.com and seeing nothing but Hawks this, Hawks that and getting more butt hurt just brings a smile to my face. Especially anything that mentions "All Time Greatest" next to defense or they could have a dynasty starting.

I do agree they probably would of had a more difficult time locking down the WR than Seattle did just cause that is our strength. After watching that game, I have a hard time saying that they have a vastly superior front 7 either. What I saw looked ever bit as dominant as what they got and ours stood tall when it mattered most, the playoffs.

They got a good team, but we took them down this season for a reason.

davidonmi

Reaction score
SF probably wins by 2 TD's, carolina IMO loses, their CB's get exposed by Manning

RezHawk

Reaction score
dbmack":1wgwfd00 said:
Would they beat them without Bowman and Iupati?

Good point. I think their LB's played almost every down so who knows what their depth is like.

With them I think Frisco would win handily. Without them the game would be closer but the Broncos would still struggle with Kaps running ability and probably still win.

robohawk

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":3awtrjoa said:
I been hearing a ton of Niners fans saying that if they were to have gone to the Superbowl they would have dominated the Bronco's more than us.

"if"
darn shame they weren't good enough to make it to the Super Bowl

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Doubtful.

Go check how passing teams did against them.

Their secondary was still suspect, without Kam blowing out the shoulder of Thomas he probably goes off in a hypothetical game against SF.

ATLANTA passed for almost 300 on them.

THAT Atlanta. A few other teams came close. The only reason GB did not light up the scoreboard against them was the sheer cold made it hard to mount a passing game with consistency. There are probably guys at the beach that could catch TDs against the 49ers secondary.

They were horrible. They relied on that pass rush because once the ball was in the air their corners couldn't cover and their could their safeties (maybe save the rookie they drafted). Whitner could hit, but that was about all.

Their secondary was still a weak point, and Manning, even if you forced him to wear a jockstrap you threw in a freezer for a week, still would have passed all over them.

The NFC is strong, but the matchups favor Denver in a game vs SF because the big weakness of SF is still going to be that secondary and the great strength of Denver is the passing game.

(The same defense that couldn't stop Joe Flacco, wouldn't have shut down Manning. I understand they changed a few pieces out, but that secondary was very suspect against even a competent QB.)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Most 49er fans I know don't know if they could have beat the Broncos without Bowman and Iupati. Plus SF's secondary is not very good (at least nowhere near ours) and wouldn't have matched up as well against the Denver receivers.

It wouldn't have been by more than us, if they did win.

kearly

Reaction score
SF couldn't defend Joe Flacco. Their defense is built well to punish offenses like Wilson's, but pocket passers have given the 49ers some trouble. Their secondary is nowhere even remotely close to Seattle's. Maybe they win, but I think I would favor the Broncos in that matchup.

dradee

Reaction score
We did not have #11 avail for the game against SF and SF got a lot of breaks in that game and did not capitalize. Seattle can overcome adversity and has proven it more than SF. SF seems to come up a bit short, year after year. I think our offense steps it up next year and becomes much more consistent and in turn that will make our defense even better.

Back to Back Championships are with in reach for this organization, one week at a time.

GO HAWKS!!

strohmin

Reaction score
They do not have the secondary to do what we did. Peyton Manning would have ate them alive. I do however seeing Kaep run for 300 yards on that defense.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Kraep would have run for 200 against that defense. If Harvin wasn't winded after every play I think we would have hung 50 or 60 on them.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think the game would have looked a lot like last years Super Bowl.. a shootout with neither defense doing much of anything.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
49ers would be SB champions. Thank GOD for Sherman's tip!

I highly doubt it would have been a blowout. Our secondary is legendary. Manning would have found more points. The 49ers are the second best team in the NFL, they are built almost identical to us, so the outcome would have been the same in terms of W/L, but the score likely would not have been as lopsided.