Why the offensive fuss?!

ManBunts

Reaction score
It seems as if the forum has been bombarded by panicky posts about our offense. Why? Look at the team and tell me truly why you're freaking out!? I'm hoping these are just troll posts by Niner fans or Chicken Little has multiple screen names, because I don't get it.

-We lost Harvin!? WE NEVER HAD HIM! He's icing on the cake. And that's not a knock on him, I'd love to have him back, but why all the fuss about this? Disappointment is natural, but this isn't gonna lose us the game.

-We didn't beat down the Saints as bad as last time? THE SECOND TIME IS NEVER AS EASY! The Saints have a top 5 defense and arguably one of the best QB/Coach tandems ever. But we beat them, in gale force winds, in rain. Be happy.

-This is the playoffs. No team is EASY. Stop getting disappointed when there aren't blowouts. A win is a win is a win. And in the playoffs a win is all that matters.

-Our off
http://www.seahawks.com/team/statistics.html
Does it look like offensive yards or TDs are the issue compare to our opponents? I don't. These are admittedly averages, there are of course outliers. We average 26 points per game. Not bad.

-Our passing game is weakening? Oh please. Russell has NEVER been Aaron Rodgers. He orchestrates. He makes the throws that matter and has never made a mistake that has cost us a game. AND he's shown he can lead the big comebacks.

-Our WR's can't get separation. This is the ONLY spot I'll give a little, because it's true. But it's ALWAYS been this way. The only thing we're missing is Rice. It's surprising how much difference it makes having a tall guy on the field. But this hasn't stopped Doug, Tate and Kearse from making big plays. Luke

-Beast Mode? Nobody questions Beast Mode.

Basically, the tools are all there. I'm not trying to be cocky, but have some confidence Hawk fans! We play a great team this weekend. Their defensive line is a damn good. Their QB is slippery like a greased eel. They have Crabtree back. BUT we've got Clemons and Irvin back. We've got a full offensive line. We've got the 12th Man!

Go Hawks!

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Having a discussion about a concern doesn't equate to "freaking out."

Sedaisan

Reaction score
I agree completely... This team wins with defense, creating turnovers, running game, and field position via punting... Wilson doesn't make the critial mistakes, and can make those special plays when needed... We haven't lost by more than a touchdown since he's been our QB - aka were are in EVERY game. And in a lot of those losses we beat ourselves... Cannot wait for Sunday. Go Hawks!

Cartire

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":1f9kngkp said:
Having a discussion about a concern doesn't equate to "freaking out."

When some thread titles are "we won't win if our offense doesn't get better"

That's more then a "concern".

Concern seems to be the flavor of the week word to justify "chicken littling" as the OP put it.

etanate

Reaction score
Looking at the points scored last week, the winning teams had 43, 24, 23, and 23. Yet only Seattle's offense has all this doomsaying. I think it's because we see all the missed potential that is there where we could easily have 40 points. Dropped passes, missed receivers, big play killing penalties. San Fran scores the same number as points as us and all the talk is how Crabtree has made them so diverse and dangerous on offense. Denver had one more point and no one is concerned about that offense. Bottom line is the offense is fine and certainly capable of scoring enough to win any game, especially with this defense. We only need 20 points to beat anybody.

StealthHawk

Reaction score
etanate":17k8wsza said:
Looking at the points scored last week, the winning teams had 43, 24, 23, and 23. Yet only Seattle's offense has all this doomsaying. I think it's because we see all the missed potential that is there where we could easily have 40 points. Dropped passes, missed receivers, big play killing penalties. San Fran scores the same number as points as us and all the talk is how Crabtree has made them so diverse and dangerous on offense. Denver had one more point and no one is concerned about that offense. Bottom line is the offense is fine and certainly capable of scoring enough to win any game, especially with this defense. We only need 20 points to beat anybody.

I agree 100%, the big thing people seem to forget is that this is the playoffs. We're not playing cupcakes anymore. The Saints have a ridiculously strong defense. The Panthers have a ridiculously strong defense. We have a ridiculously strong defense. The Whiners have a ridiculously strong defense. The Patriots only put up 43 because the Colts have one of the worst run defenses in the league and the Patriots chose to exploit that.

Our offense is fine. Sure, the play calling could be better, but which team in the history of the NFL has called a perfect game? No one has. Defense wins championships. We don't turn the ball over. We destroy elite level offenses. We run the ball with authority. That is how you win in the NFL. And that is why we're going to the Super Bowl after Sunday. :49ersmall:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It probably has a lot to do with the fact that we as a fanbase are kind of new to the idea of a defensive/conservative formula for winning.

We've always seemed to gravitate to offense as the key. From back in the AFC days even. Holmgren furthered that with his offense first program.

21-17 types of games ... those are the kinds of games a defensive team should be comfortable playing. It's hard for many to appreciate it because when the defense is on the field, there is always the specter of a fluke play or a defensive breakdown that loses the game. It's hard to appreciate the wins where it can feel like you got lucky not to allow the one play or to get that fluke TO to thwart a scoring drive.

I'd also say part of it is due to the fact that offensively, this team was tearing it up at the end of the last season. 30 points in a game didn't feel like it was unexpected. This year we're struggling to score 24. Statistically, we're scoring better than last year overall. But our last 6 games have been mere shadows of the offensive output we were able to achieve in the first 2 months.

Ultimately, this team has been just a tad off. To be blunt, Wilson has been a tad off. Missing open receivers and making throws that are harder to catch than they have to be. He's under 60% completion for most games and his yards/attempt is about 60% of what it was in September and October. Make one or two plays we are leaving on the field and we're close to that 30 points a game clip again.

Nothing a good performance can't cure. But we've been waiting on the edge of our seats for it and it's remained elusive. The loser go home threat coupled with that leaves plenty of fans anxious.

And it's the Niners. They always scare us as they should. It feels like they are playing their best ball now and we are not.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Lol. Nice OP. I think everyone knows where I stand on this topic. I'm expecting a ground and pound Beastmode heavy game, but I almost hope that Russ throws for 300 in a win. It'll make making fun of everyone for freaking out his "decline" that much more fun!

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ManBunts":2vadhfid said:
It seems as if the forum has been bombarded by panicky posts about our offense. Why? Look at the team and tell me truly why you're freaking out!? I'm hoping these are just troll posts by Niner fans or Chicken Little has multiple screen names, because I don't get it.

-We lost Harvin!? WE NEVER HAD HIM! He's icing on the cake. And that's not a knock on him, I'd love to have him back, but why all the fuss about this? Disappointment is natural, but this isn't gonna lose us the game.

-We didn't beat down the Saints as bad as last time? THE SECOND TIME IS NEVER AS EASY! The Saints have a top 5 defense and arguably one of the best QB/Coach tandems ever. But we beat them, in gale force winds, in rain. Be happy.

-This is the playoffs. No team is EASY. Stop getting disappointed when there aren't blowouts. A win is a win is a win. And in the playoffs a win is all that matters.

-Our off
http://www.seahawks.com/team/statistics.html
Does it look like offensive yards or TDs are the issue compare to our opponents? I don't. These are admittedly averages, there are of course outliers. We average 26 points per game. Not bad.

-Our passing game is weakening? Oh please. Russell has NEVER been Aaron Rodgers. He orchestrates. He makes the throws that matter and has never made a mistake that has cost us a game. AND he's shown he can lead the big comebacks.

-Our WR's can't get separation. This is the ONLY spot I'll give a little, because it's true. But it's ALWAYS been this way. The only thing we're missing is Rice. It's surprising how much difference it makes having a tall guy on the field. But this hasn't stopped Doug, Tate and Kearse from making big plays. Luke

-Beast Mode? Nobody questions Beast Mode.

Basically, the tools are all there. I'm not trying to be cocky, but have some confidence Hawk fans! We play a great team this weekend. Their defensive line is a damn good. Their QB is slippery like a greased eel. They have Crabtree back. BUT we've got Clemons and Irvin back. We've got a full offensive line. We've got the 12th Man!

Go Hawks!

We also will have Okung and Bowie at LT and LG instead of Mquistan and Carpenter. Okung went out WAY early in the first game week 2 and the left side got abused in pass protection. Wilson also had a terrible first half in the first game with 2/10 and 1 of those passes didnt matter since Rice spiked the ball backing us up to where we allready were. He also had a long bomb INT. The other pass was like a 35 yard pass to lynch on the weakside. The whole passing game was kind of off that game but the run game dominated.

As long as we have our D playing at an Elite level we will be fine. The last 4 games against the Niners they have only scored 48 points total for an average of 12 points a game against our offense. I would take 7 points off of that though because they scored against backups last year in seattle at the very end which would drop it to 10.25 points per game against our defense.

Our offense has scored 94 points against them for an average of 23.5 points per game.

So on average we score 13 or so more points than they do per game.

plyka

Reaction score
For those of you saying:

Seahawks are a rushing team
Seahawks are a defensive team
The way this offense plays is all planned

etc etc etc

No one is comparing Wilson with Manning or Brady. The argument is not that Wilson should throw it a million times. The argument is Wilson compared to...WILSON!

This year in the regular season (including the bad 4 games at the end), Wilson has a QB Rating of 101.2

Over the last 5 games (last 4 of the regular season and 1 playoff) his QB Rating is 77.5. This is including a good performance against the Rams where he had a QB rating of 102.1. In that game he only threw for 172 yards. Yet he got a QB rating of 101.2! You see, we are not talking about massive yards here, or massive TD numbers, etc. We are talking about EFFICIENCY. He doesn't need 400 yards to get a QB rating of 100+. He just needs to be efficient.

And that's what has fallen off. Over the last 5 games he has a QB rating of 77.5. If the HAwks are going to win the SuperBowl, that number is going to have to get back to 100 or so. His career average. Again, no one is talking about massive numbers, we are talking about EFFICIENCY.

His completion percentage over the last 5 games: 56.5%. That is VERY LOW. Especially when you consider that for most of the year it was 65%+.

This team cannot have 3 and out followed by 3 and out --as they did in the 2nd half of the Saints game. REgardless of just how good this defense is, no defense can hold back if your offense is giving the opposition possession after possession. Just not going to happen.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
plyka":1167i306 said:
His completion percentage over the last 5 games: 56.5%. That is VERY LOW.

Last Week Completion percentages
Kaepernick 53.5%
Brady 52%
Luck 48%
Brees 55.8

Kapernick in the Wildcard game 53%

Wow, look at all those VERY LOW completion percentages.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Its not panic, its not Chicken Little-ism, its not anything but observation to see the trends. We averaged 28 points a game in the first 12 weeks.. less than 20 in the last 4 weeks of the season. Over the last 3 games Wilson has thrown for 2 of his lowest totals of yards in his career. His passing rating is 25 points below his career average, his completion percentage 10 points lower.

Yes, we have the number one defense, but that defense will have bad days.

I wish I knew what was going on.. have they handcuffed Wilson again like the first 5 games last year? Is it merely playing better defenses? Some of it is not having Rice out there..for all his lamented lack of production he is a true outside receiver that can take the top off defenses and that has to be reflected in their game plan. Some of it is the ever changing offensive line.. some of it that defenses have adjusted to read option..though Im not sure as even when teams at times gave us the gb run in that Wilson wouldnt take it...

Its ridiculous to pretend there is no reason for concern when every meaningful stat in proper context says our offense is trending down right when it counts the most.

seadoc30

Reaction score
Oh come on.. just because we are scoring 20+ points doesn't show the whole picture of how ineffective our passing game has been lately. Let me remind you that we have the best Running back who get yards basically on his own most of the time and a world class defense which continuously keeps getting the ball back for the offense more than any other defense. And not to forget, we have the best special teams always giving the offense a good starting position.

It doesn't matter if the completion percentage is 80% but a horrible 20% 3rd down conversion rate. The passing offense ' s success is judged on 3rd downs percentage and first downs. According to the stats RW is the worst at getting first downs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... nType=POST

We can make all the excuses and explanations for this passing game, but they are running out because this pathetic offense has not improved even a bit since last 5-6 weeks.

Let's pray that SF doesn't stop Lynch because we are absolutely doomed if this game comes down to our passing game.

Cartire

Reaction score
seadoc30":wt0w0nuy said:
Oh come on.. just because we are scoring 20+ points doesn't show the whole picture of how ineffective our passing game has been lately. Let me remind you that we have the best Running back who get yards basically on his own most of the time and a world class defense which continuously keeps getting the ball back for the offense more than any other defense. And not to forget, we have the best special teams always giving the offense a good starting position.

It doesn't matter if the completion percentage is 80% but a horrible 20% 3rd down conversion rate. The passing offense ' s success is judged on 3rd downs percentage and first downs. According to the stats RW is the worst at getting first downs.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... nType=POST

We can make all the excuses and explanations for this passing game, but they are running out because this pathetic offense has not improved even a bit since last 5-6 weeks.

Let's pray that SF doesn't stop Lynch because we are absolutely doomed if this game comes down to our passing game.

Man, it's post like these that tell me how new people are to the NFL. Having an offense getting 20+ points a game utilizing primarily power run schemes! and winning! is awesome.

I could care less if we pass even once a game if we're winning with our running game.

And the whole take Lynch away and were screwed is so contrived. We've seen all season that statement. Every game. Take lynch away and RW opens up completely.

Almost every game that lynch has been subpar, Russell has dominated. He even had a decent game @SF. But taking away lynch isn't just a switch you turn regardless.

I hope we win Sunday 3-0 just to read all the meltdown. Then I hope we win the Super Bowl 2-0.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":3nxvipc2 said:
And the whole take Lynch away and were screwed is so contrived. We've seen all season that statement. Every game. Take lynch away and RW opens up completely.
Yeah! Look at how Wilson smoked the Cardinals defense in our house!

It's not hard to open up completely against an average defense...You can't get away with that garbage against an elite one a lot of the time.

seadoc30

Reaction score
Cartire":3teep66v said:
Man, it's post like these that tell me how new people are to the NFL. Having an offense getting 20+ points a game utilizing primarily power run schemes! and winning! is awesome.

I could care less if we pass even once a game if we're winning with our running game.

Almost every game that lynch has been subpar, Russell has dominated. He even had a decent game @SF. But taking away lynch isn't just a switch you turn regardless.

I hope we win Sunday 3-0 just to read all the meltdown. Then I hope we win the Super Bowl 2-0.

I get you point, but just answer my 'stupid' question of how to we get points if lynch is shut down based on what we have seen from RW and the passing game for the last quarter of the season??

Cartire

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":4vqkop0x said:
Cartire":4vqkop0x said:
Yeah! Look at how Wilson smoked the Cardinals defense in our house!

It's not hard to open up completely against an average defense...You can't get away with that garbage against an elite one a lot of the time.

So one game is enough to prove your point. But all the rest of the games to prove my point are not, got it. Just wanted to make sure how this worked.