Waikiki for the Superbowl - Seahawks party?

JonnyHaywood

Reaction score
I am going to be in Waikiki for my honeymoon and we were trying to find a place to gather to watch the game. Knowing that the Seahawks will be in the big game I would love to gather with a bunch of 12's!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Jonny

Hawaiian Hawk

Reaction score
Sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but Hawaii is whiner country. This state has a crush on everything SF. I have lived here for three years. I'm sure all the sports bars in town will have parties but I couldn't tell you if any are ProHawk because I live on the North Shore and don't go to town unless I have to. So enjoy the game but know you are in enemy territory. :49ersmall: ALOHA!

OP
OP
J

JonnyHaywood

Reaction score
Well that sucks to hear! :) I will find some people. I have some friends where I live from Oahu so I think I will let them set me up with their friends on the Island. We are looking forward to the North Shore too. Mahalo!

OahuHawkFan

Reaction score
The best place for football in Waikiki is Giovanni Pastrami's (http://giovannipastrami.com/). It's setup for stadium seating generally. It's a very diverse football crowd since Waikiki has plenty of non-locals at all times.

While I agree that there's more than our fair share of whiner fans out here, I also see a LOT of vacationers and transplants (myself included) from the Seattle area. So yeah, I think you'll be fine.

Highly recommend this place though.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The Shack in Kailua is turning into Seahawk country. Don't worry too much about the local 9er fans. They are 9er fans out of convenience and for the most part, not married to the team. Many will be Hawk fans immediately after we win the SB. I've been here 32 years...so this I know. Be nice. Smile. Don't get mouthy. You will do fine.

Lanakila

Reaction score
Be nice. Smile. Don't get mouthy. You will do fine. ^ This. In Hawaii these are rules to live by. And the Shack in Kailua would be awesome. Kailua is a cool little town with fantastic beaches close by. Kailua or Lanikai after the game and you'll be stoked.

OahuHawkFan

Reaction score
One more thing to keep in mind for somebody vacationing from the PNW....beer.

While I like the quaint small-town atmosphere of the Shack in Kailua, and I especially love their Buffalo Wings (though they should separate the wing from the leg), their beer selection sucks for anyone from the PNW. Generally speaking, the beer selection in Hawaii bars is pretty terrible. You're lucky to find an IPA. Last time I was at the Shack, they had stopped carrying their only IPA. So for me, that was the end of that relationship. :cry:

They probably still have Sierra Nevada...so that's not completely terrible. But yeah, just something to keep in mind. You won't find your Manny's over here. :x

Zorn76

Reaction score
I've been to several places in Waikiki to watch games, and all of them have been fine.
It's Hawaii.
If you were honeymooning in SF, then you'd want to avoid the streets at all costs, especially after we win:)

Nearpost

Reaction score
I have met many seattlites that spend time in Hawaii. I think Seattle also has an affinity with Hawaii.

OahuHawkFan

Reaction score
Nearpost":1rz4irig said:
I have met many seattlites that spend time in Hawaii. I think Seattle also has an affinity with Hawaii.

I agree...

Yeah, you know, screw it. I hereby declare Hawaii Seahawks territory! Since the Seahawks listed us as an eligible ticket buyer territory, we're clearly within the bounds of Seahawks nation. So all the bandwagon Niners fans out here can ride a fast wave towards a sharp rock! :0190l:

But seriously, I don't even know if the Niners thing is even true. So many fans are military (and therefore from everywhere), it's tough to get a feel for any clear majority. There's probably no more Niners fans than there are Chargers or Seahawks fans - all simply based on a very vague definition of "proximity". I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere based on Seahawks attire. As has been mentioned, your attitude is far more likely a factor in any trouble you might encounter - as could be said in any mainland bar as well.

OP
OP
J

JonnyHaywood

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. Yeah I was at a game in 2005 and met these guys sitting in front of us. They turned out to be friends ever since. They are from Oahu and went to Campbell High. I am most likely going to try to hook up with their crowd while I am there but if not I will look at these other places. I am also going to be meeting up with some other friends who live there. I'm not the loudmouth type so I should be ok. I will remember the be nice and smile thing for sure!

About the beer. That sucks! IPA is always my safe place.

HawkWow

Reaction score
OahuHawkFan":x1g2kzwj said:
Nearpost":x1g2kzwj said:

But seriously, I don't even know if the Niners thing is even true. So many fans are military (and therefore from everywhere), it's tough to get a feel for any clear majority. There's probably no more Niners fans than there are Chargers or Seahawks fans - all simply based on a very vague definition of "proximity". I wouldn't hesitate to go anywhere based on Seahawks attire. As has been mentioned, your attitude is far more likely a factor in any trouble you might encounter - as could be said in any mainland bar as well.

There are 10 9er fans for every 1 team you mention. Including our Hawks. Proximity is a small part of the equation. A bigger share goes to their 5 rings...everybody loves a winner. Further, those championship teams put lots of players in the Pro-bowl and the fans here enjoyed seeing them live. Additionally, there was a time when the 9er org would host a huge post-SB party for the team (on Kauai) and hand out their rings to the players. SF did a great job of capturing an audience here with photo sessions, autograph sessions etc.

Many of my employees are hardcore 9er fans. Some acted as bodyguards for the players when they would get their rings and others were security for the events. That said, they are beginning to love our Hawks. We play a style of defense that is impossible to dislike and who doesn't love Marshawn Lynch or RW?

2 superbowl wins and Hawk fans will outnumber 9er fans here 3 -1. The writing is on the wall.

OP...We've had a few threads on this subject and I believe they contain a lot of information not mentioned here. I think if you search the word Honolulu, you will be in luck. Congratulations on your nuptials.

OP
OP
J

JonnyHaywood

Reaction score
Well.... Looks like I get to make some plans for a Superbowl party! I went to the game last night. It was amazing. If anyone on here is in Hawaii and have some plans to watch the game at a bar or something my wife and I would love to be around some 12s!