Earl thomas picks or bats that pass down = blowout

Seeker

Reaction score
23 - 8 at that point wasn't it?

one fluke 52 yard pass has a lot of us thinking differently of this game than it really was.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it a blow out, but it would have been a fairly convincing win with a legitimate concern about the passing offense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yet, the Saints very nearly were able to tie it up to force overtime.

This is why I hate our "let the defense win every game for us" offense. I'm fine with conservative offense since we have an elite defense, but for Christ's sake, we need to stop telegraphing every play based on our formation before the snap.

JonRud

Reaction score
our DBs are too good. too many of them converging on the ball at once they keep taking each other out.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
There were at least 2 missed INTs in this game. It should not have been close at all. The Saints were fortunate to be in position to even have a chance at the end.

themunn

Reaction score
Not really, that was the drive that NO missed their second field goal on. After that we scored to go up 23-8.

But there are 4 plays we can look at that had they gone differently would change the way we look at this game completely

the hold on giacomini that turned a 37 yard run to the NO 35 into a 10 yard penalty and a 2nd and 13.

the non-fumble - even had it been called a fumble (considering the nearest judge threw the blue flag for a change of possession it should have been ruled a change of possession on the field and then reviewed), it should have been 3rd and 15 instead of a 1st down after the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of Wagner.

the missed interception by Chancellor that hit him in the chest

the missed interception/tipped ball by ET

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Yep everything went the Saints way, well, ALMOST everything! ;)

Cyrus12

Reaction score
it should have been a blowout at halftime...we let them back into it. Keewp in mind though the Saints had a top 5 offence and a top 5 defence...lets not pretend we played an easy team. I like Brees and will always like the Saints for beating Manning and the Colts a few years back but he is not so good in the rain. Graham got schooled by our guys!

amill87

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ofz7cof said:
Yet, the Saints very nearly were able to tie it up to force overtime.

This is why I hate our "let the defense win every game for us" offense. I'm fine with conservative offense since we have an elite defense, but for Christ's sake, we need to stop telegraphing every play based on our formation before the snap.

Nearly?

Even if Colston steps out, the Saints have one shot to Hail Mary it in the end zone vs the best pass defense in the league. Than they have to convert a 2 pt conversion just to tie it.

If Thomas makes that pick, we run at least 1:30 off the clock and at the minimum give the Saints terrible field position to have to score twice. The offense played pretty solid on their last drive so there's a chance they get some points off that turnover as well.

Vpk0718

Reaction score
You are mistaken. That play happened on the drive before the Lynch TD. The D stuffed them after that play and forced a missed field goal.

ceej22

Reaction score
Seeker":1s3a9tev said:
23 - 8 at that point wasn't it?

one fluke 52 yard pass has a lot of us thinking differently of this game than it really was.

Graham missed the FG on that drive so it didn't change anything. Also, it was 16-8 at that point.

1st and 10 at NO 23 D.Brees pass deep left to R.Meachem to SEA 25 for 52 yards (K.Chancellor).
1st and 10 at SEA 25 (Shotgun) PENALTY on NO-D.Brees, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at SEA 25 - No Play.
1st and 15 at SEA 30 (Shotgun) D.Brees pass incomplete short middle to M.Ingram.
Timeout #2 by NO at 04:04.
2nd and 15 at SEA 30 (Shotgun) D.Brees pass incomplete short right to M.Colston.
3rd and 15 at SEA 30 (Shotgun) D.Brees pass incomplete short right to D.Sproles (C.Avril).
4th and 15 at SEA 30 S.Graham 48 yard field goal is No Good, Wide Left, Center-J.Drescher, Holder-L.McCown.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yes, nearly, Amill. They would have been in close hail mary range. Obviously there's no telling if they would have gotten it or not.

Remember what we spent months telling Packers fans?

IF YOU DON'T WANT IT TO COME DOWN TO THE FINAL PLAY OF THE GAME, THEN PLAY BETTER.

We need some of that advice for our offense.

dunceface

Reaction score
This is why I don't get all this hand wringing...every ball seemingly bounced their way, their D played well (BS head hunting aside) and it was a very sloppy day of weather which lent to a conservative game plan and WE STILL WON (even though there was a very long shot comeback scare at the end)...really not too worried about our approach to that game

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkFan72":4jv7pbef said:
There were at least 2 missed INTs in this game. It should not have been close at all. The Saints were fortunate to be in position to even have a chance at the end.
At least to my eyes it was 3-4. It was obvious that Percy was a huge part of the game plan and with his concussion they had to rework everything.

amill87

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":kfxhfh4z said:
Yes, nearly, Amill. They would have been in close hail mary range. Obviously there's no telling if they would have gotten it or not.

Remember what we spent months telling Packers fans?

IF YOU DON'T WANT IT TO COME DOWN TO THE FINAL PLAY OF THE GAME, THEN PLAY BETTER.

We need some of that advice for our offense.

Yeah, I can agree with that.

I just feel if Thomas makes that play he normally makes, the Saints don't score again. At that point, the fans in the stands were probably pretty nervous. A pick there just amps up the crowd.

Plus our offense would've had the ball at least at the 50, Thomas had tens yards of open field in front of him.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I'll take this struggling pass offense win vs the Saints, vs our awesome offense LOSS vs The Falcons.

dunceface

Reaction score
ZagHawk":j4rcriut said:
I'll take this struggling pass offense win vs the Saints, vs our awesome offense LOSS vs The Falcons.

^^^^THISx1000000000

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
themunn":xuavr5qs said:
Not really, that was the drive that NO missed their second field goal on. After that we scored to go up 23-8.

But there are 4 plays we can look at that had they gone differently would change the way we look at this game completely

the hold on giacomini that turned a 37 yard run to the NO 35 into a 10 yard penalty and a 2nd and 13.

the non-fumble - even had it been called a fumble (considering the nearest judge threw the blue flag for a change of possession it should have been ruled a change of possession on the field and then reviewed), it should have been 3rd and 15 instead of a 1st down after the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty of Wagner.

the missed interception by Chancellor that hit him in the chest

the missed interception/tipped ball by ET

A third int dropped w/ our 2 dbs colliding I believe in the endzone.

seanoob

Reaction score
What a difference a year makes. That loss to the Falcons last year was soul crushing. So glad that the hawks jumped up to a big lead. 2 more wins to go.