Seahawks Defense responsible for how Offense is playing?

Mizak

Reaction score
I think so. For everyone complaining about Bevell's play calling, Russell Wilsons' terrible throws, and their passing game, we should blame the defense for that. Did you guys forget that Russell Wilson and the offense has to go up against the defense IN PRACTICE EVERY WEEK? RW and the offense basically sees these guys everyday. I think the defense needs to take it easy on RW on practice. Maybe, just maybe, the offense is taking what they are given in practice and bringing it to the game, thus the fans frustration.

Let's hope I'm wrong. Wonder how intense it gets when they practice against each other.

warden

Reaction score
Holmgren used to get mad at the defense for making plays in practice. It threw off the timing. Mind you Holmgren never had a top ten defense (total yards) in Seattle.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I would think that would make the offense better...

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
SeaChase":2iy45zep said:
Sometimes that speed and play making ability on defense will make an offense conservative even in practice. Having said that i put offensive ineptitude on our game play philosophy and poor adjustments. No doubt Wilson has to step up his game. He could be helped by being given more consecutive passing attempts to get going in the early stages of the game. My guess is that even Manning would have problems when limited to passing primarily on 3rd down and just 20 throws per game which is unfortunately our passing game.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
I think our game plan has been.. Take care of the ball,(no turnovers) and play solid defense. Keep the points low. and the clock ticking.

If your defense isn't showing any sign of giving away points why risk anything.

With that being said.... where the hell has our offense been? its gotta be there somewhere. YOu can't tell me that the I formation 22 personnel bootleg to the right 15 yard pass to the tight end heading towards the sideline DOESN"T STILL WORK. It always works. where has that play been have not seen it since like week 8

plyka

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":1f2pgo5d said:
I think our game plan has been.. Take care of the ball,(no turnovers) and play solid defense. Keep the points low. and the clock ticking.

With that being said.... where the hell has our offense been? its gotta be there somewhere. YOu can't tell me that the I formation 22 personnel bootleg to the right 15 yard pass to the tight end heading towards the sideline DOESN"T STILL WORK. It always works. where has that play been have not seen it since like week 8

I agree. This is Pete's ideology. Even taking that into consideration bevell is still horrible.

This conservative strategy only works if you're efficient on offense and can shorten the game. How many three and outs did this team have in the second half? How many times can you give the ball back to Bree's over and over three and out after three and out? Eventually your defense starts to break. They need some drives even if you don't score. What about a few 8 play drives that take 4-5 minutes off the clock?

Sac

Reaction score
There may be some limited merit to this. RW has been throwing really, really high lately. I can see how practicing against gigantic corners with great length has given him this tendency.

Boiler

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":qo0wx5c7 said:

I agree with this too. The defense playing well has led to conservative playcalling on offense. If they can get a two score lead this way as they did with the Saints, I can't fault the strategy.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":188q4sag said:
SeaChase":188q4sag said:
Sometimes that speed and play making ability on defense will make an offense conservative even in practice. Having said that i put offensive ineptitude on our game play philosophy and poor adjustments. No doubt Wilson has to step up his game. He could be helped by being given more consecutive passing attempts to get going in the early stages of the game. My guess is that even Manning would have problems when limited to passing primarily on 3rd down and just 20 throws per game which is unfortunately our passing game.

I dont think Wilson even had back to back throws in this entire game. I just rewatched the game and I am pretty sure we did not throw twice in a row. You cannot sustain a passing game doing that. And ALOT of those throws were on 3rd downs.

Axx

Reaction score
we've all seen how easily this offense can score when the game is on the line. In clutch time the offense pulls it together, but if they dont need to score its almost like they dont try as hard.

themunn

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":oeeyji4r said:
Russ Willstrong":oeeyji4r said:
SeaChase":oeeyji4r said:

I dont think Wilson even had back to back throws in this entire game. I just rewatched the game and I am pretty sure we did not throw twice in a row. You cannot sustain a passing game doing that. And ALOT of those throws were on 3rd downs.

I don't know if you mean back to back catches, but I can think of 2 throw immediately off the top of my head - the redzone attempts where Lynch was stuffed 5 yards behind the LoS, followed by the pass to Harvin that ended his game and then a sack on third down.
Two passing attempts in a row that Wilson was the primary reason for failure

HawkWow

Reaction score
Unless the D is hurting the O (physically) in practice, the O should naturally be much better having to practice against our D. ...so that's not the problem.

Further, Wilson would be hands off in every practice, so whatever his problem is, it can't be blamed on our defense, either.

It's been a whirlwind 2 years for young Russ and I think he's mentally and physically fatigued. Hopefully there's enough left to win the Lombardi...after that, I think he needs to refocus and concentrate solely on football for awhile.