Madden on Saints-Seahawks

Hawknballs

Reaction score
not sure if anyone listens to John Madden's weekly satellite radio show but here are the main points in Saints/Seahawks

-a huge advantage in the playoffs for the Seahawks might be the officiating. He didn't go so far as to say that Seattle is cheap or anything, but we can all agree that our secondary is at it's best when they are being physical with their assignments and playing things very tight. He said that playoff officials are usually prone to "letting them play" and this become a big advantage for the Seahawks.

-Seattle and Denver are the two most complete teams in the league

-This is a game that becomes a "Russell Wilson" game, where he takes over and dictates pace

-he didn't spend a lot of time discussing the crowd, or comparing this game to the last one. I think that's fair. I personally believe that putting too much emphasis on either really skews the perception of the game. I would rather focus on the team and the fact that Seattle just seems more complete top to bottom. Obviously home field is huge but I think to be fair it's one thing to say our guys benefit from being home; i just don't know if i like the narrative that "X team can't win on the road and the crowd will be too loud".

He didn't make a prediction but the general vibe was that Seattle is the better team.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
He also said there is no way that the Chargers were going to go into Cincy and win.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
HawkNuts":1k793npu said:
He also said there is no way that the Chargers were going to go into Cincy and win.

Yeah. and also claimed SD didn't belong in the playoffs. So there is that. But that doesn't take away from his first point about the officiating which was my main reason for posting this for discussion.

Hawks46

Reaction score
He has a valid point. Triplette's crew led the league in called penalties and they swallowed their whistle last game.

Then again, the referee for this game is a Saints fan.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":wlst7d0l said:
John Madden just called it--Denver and Seattle in the SB!

Cool, lets just skip the rest of these stupid games and give the boys the next three weeks off to prepare for the SB

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3ujdcxqz said:
not sure if anyone listens to John Madden's weekly satellite radio show but here are the main points in Saints/Seahawks

-a huge advantage in the playoffs for the Seahawks might be the officiating. He didn't go so far as to say that Seattle is cheap or anything, but we can all agree that our secondary is at it's best when they are being physical with their assignments and playing things very tight. He said that playoff officials are usually prone to "letting them play" and this become a big advantage for the Seahawks.

-Seattle and Denver are the two most complete teams in the league

-This is a game that becomes a "Russell Wilson" game, where he takes over and dictates pace

-he didn't spend a lot of time discussing the crowd, or comparing this game to the last one. I think that's fair. I personally believe that putting too much emphasis on either really skews the perception of the game. I would rather focus on the team and the fact that Seattle just seems more complete top to bottom. Obviously home field is huge but I think to be fair it's one thing to say our guys benefit from being home; i just don't know if i like the narrative that "X team can't win on the road and the crowd will be too loud".

He didn't make a prediction but the general vibe was that Seattle is the better team.

That is the best, most honest way to cover it I think, no fringe elements, just the basics. Did he mention Brett Favre?

I miss Madden and we can't get Sirius in Fbx AK :?

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Hawks46":3vik6lfh said:
He has a valid point. Triplette's crew led the league in called penalties and they swallowed their whistle last game.

Is this a joke or do yo know something no one else seems too?

Clayfighter

Reaction score
Hawks46":2o37p4sd said:

Source plz!

suppaball

Reaction score
Thank you father Madden. It's gonna be a slobberknocker, Saints slobber all over the field kid. I can't wait!

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":14knpy12 said:
Hawks46":14knpy12 said:

I think he's going off the fact that the ref went to LSU.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Say what you want about Madden and his man crush on Favre, the guy knows his football. It's interesting that he feels that the Hawks are one of the two most complete teams, and not mention the Niners in that discussion. I understand the hatred for them on this board, but if there is a 1, 1, and 1A team I think the Niners have to be in there as well. I realize the OP was talking about Madden's take on this matchup, not others. And I don't mean to pull this topic off track.

Another unrelated thought, I was watching the other sports network last night (I think it's a fox product) and they were interviewing Lovie Smith talking about what he wants to do in Tampa. His opinions on how he wants his team to function sound a lot like the Hawks blueprint. I'm not surprised to see that Pete has been wildly successful here (understand he hasn't won a SB, but still) and that that blueprint seems to be gaining traction all over the NFL...such as very strong defense, less reliance on a QB to make all the plays and all the passes, and a leading ground game.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
BobcatHawk":2ocs0nrr said:
RichNhansom":2ocs0nrr said:
Hawks46":2ocs0nrr said:

I think he's going off the fact that the ref went to LSU.

I'm sure I'm being paranoid by even paying attention but after the NFL seen fit to put a Pittsburgh native as an official in SBXL and he was the one to make the first blown call taking away Djacks TD, I guess my paranoia is somewhat justified.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Didn't Madden have some physical corners in his time as the Raiders HC? If he said anything about ours, it would be pretty hypocritical.

main

Reaction score
Denver is not a complete team. Their defense is horrible. The only reason they win is because their offense scores so damn much.

hawker84

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3vq7c45l said:
Hawks46":3vq7c45l said:

No conspiracy theories here, and not saying this Ref would be bias being an LSU Grad, but how in the world does the NFL allow this man to ref a Saints playoff game? Just to be sure there is absolutely no chance of favoritism at the very least? Professionalism or not, if you're a Saints fan, you're a Saints fan. Just seems odd to me the NFL would take this risk let alone allow it...

The Radish

Reaction score
Before you get to far on your high horse.There is an entire string about it on the main page.

No one is spreading rumors.

:roll:

TheWallE

Reaction score
Hawks46":1tffrc29 said:

Who let a one hopper count as a catch on the final drive and didn't call a blatant hold on the winning TD in the Patriots v Saints game.

I think the 'ref is a Saints fan' thing is a massive non factor. Or an active advantage for Seattle as he tries to not appear biased.