Harvin thread (Play nice) *To practice this week*

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I asked chris98251, before making a new thread as I find the Harvin situation very interesting and wanting to talk about it. Let's try to refrain from personal attacks though and just be thankful at the idea of Harvin getting back to the Hawks come playoff time.

My original post:

Heard it on Facebook first, just fantastic news!

I'm not a hater or anything else like some are saying.

I think myself along with many others were simply disappointed of the situation thats come from the Harvin ordeal. I'm sure we all wanted him to play as soon as he could for our Hawks, injury free, and hopefully now's the time he can come back, which by the way is perfect timing for the playoffs!

Go Harvin! (Gator alum)

Go Hawks!

The Outfield

Reaction score
It was just so much fun to watch him play against Minn. That one handed catch was amazing, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what re-aggravated his hip injury. I really hope he can get back out there for the playoffs.

djb28

Reaction score
It really is not the mans fault he was injured. Could he have waited on the surgery? Maybe yes, maybe no. It is not up to me or anyone else.
I would like to see him play and help the team. But he only deserves the box the Super Bowl ring comes in.

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
The Outfield":amj95s1j said:
It was just so much fun to watch him play against Minn. That one handed catch was amazing, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what re-aggravated his hip injury. I really hope he can get back out there for the playoffs.

Oh dude. The excitement I had reading the facebook post (from another Seahawk fan) was surreal. I am just so dang happy that his injury, of all the time to come back that it would be now, kick returns anyone? Send Harvin deep multiple times a game, he can just sprint past the safeties. Dream land over here I know but just really exciting. Harvin's excited too judging by his twitter. Enjoy the ride fellow Hawk fans, I know I will!

chris98251

Reaction score
If he can play 10 meaningful snaps a game it could make a difference. I am not expecting anything, the story said try to practice, it also means recovery from stress of practice and hope to go forward. This is one step at a time again with a possible setback at every turn and cut he makes till that hip begins to function normally with it's new motion range and muscle reaction.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I feel like this will be just the ticket. The defense has been playing lights out for the last month or so and the offense has been stalling. Percy will open up all kinds of running room for Lynch. In addition I'd assume Bevell will start incorporating more screens and other quick passes to help against the inevitable blitzing teams will bring. I thought a Superbowl win was in the works all season, but the last month or so the offense has had me starting to question myself and now Harvin is here to save the day.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I'd be amazed if this thread stays open a day, due to the usual suspects (the posters not the mods who are just doing their job to keep the peace).
I get the frustration of giving up so much to get just a small taste (as delicious as it was) so far. Some forget this guy is coming off major surgery. If all is true and he is able to come back for the playoffs what a HUGE boost it will be to the team and the offense. If he plays and is remotely close to 100% I think some DC's that are currently in the playoffs will have to change their shorts a few times.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
My "rational" thoughts:

What if WHAT IF the Harvin "situation" isn't a situation at all? What if what we've been hearing from Pete on a weekly basis is exactly 100% the truth? WOW. Mind blown!

Just imagine for a second. . .

Harvin hurts his hip. Gets surgery. Recovers as fast as he can. Is feeling pretty good. Maybe not 100%.

So we play him vs. Minnesota as a check to see how he's feeling and how the hip holds up, and to really evaluate how he feels after a game situation (the problem with this theory is that we did let him return a kick, but we were short bodies).

He's sore after that game and things just don't feel quite right. The team decides that the recovery process is actually going to take longer than they thought, and unfortunately the contact in the game set him back just a bit. He becomes week to week. Seems like a rational explanation.

Now he's had lots of time to recover. Still not doing well enough to feel like putting him out against live bullets is a great idea until he gets a couple weeks of practice in the very least, to be on the safe side. This means that he would have had to have started practicing right after the NY Giants game to even make it in time for our last game of the season the other day, if they wanted at least 2 weeks of practice. The Giants game was a month out from when he played against the Vikings, a reasonable amount of time for him to sit, recover. but he's just not ready to go.

Is it really that unreasonable to think that he's just needed longer to recover than first thought, and that they are being 100% truthful in saying they just don't want him back before he's ready?

There is the theory that if he's even remotely ready, we should have brought him back to have a better shot at clinching the division/HFA in one of these past two games, but if you are an NFL coach and you already know you are in the playoffs, is it really worth the risk to beef up your offense for a game or two, then find out it's too soon and he gets hurt and can't help you in the playoffs? Or would you rather make it to the playoffs and hopefully stand behind your #1 D, get into the dance, and then get him out there when you're more confident in the recovery?

I do know the following:

Percy isn't being held off IR to "fool" any other teams, or have them waste time game-planning for him. For starters, teams don't spend an inordinate amount of time planning for one guy in general. They may focus on some of the top players in the league but it's not like having to do so is suddenly going to make the rest of their plan fall into the toilet. At this point in the year all teams are beat up. Active roster spots are precious. So is time. The team doesn't have the roster spots or the time to deal with trolling a guy around on the active roster just to force an hour or two of extra game planning.

Percy also isn't declining to play because he doesn't want too, or is lazy or any of that other crap. The guys been nothing but a football player for years. If that was any part of the reason, Pete and John wouldn't tolerate it and neither would the rest of the guys on the team.

So really for all of the talk, I think the situation is exactly what Pete says it's been. Now if he comes back to practice and re-aggravates things and hits IR i'm sure people will freak out with more conspiracy theories but that's all they are.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Let's get it!!

Can't wait for Percy, hopefully he can get more than 6 snaps if he plays. Imagine if he plays and we got a weak ass defense like the Packers coming in here? The crowd and defense vs Mrs. Rodgers and his gang. Man, I'd hate to be a packer fan, think they'll whine some more after that slaughter?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I get the feeling it's going to be a pain management thing. Just my opinion/guess.

chris98251

Reaction score
Injury aside, remember the function of his hip joint was never quite right, that whole joint has to learn to operate correctly. the strain on things may be the casue of pain that he is feeling for the tendons and muscles as well as the range of motion having to be re learned or learned for the first time correctly. Anyone that has had a joint or tendon worked on knows this feeling and what it takes in normal life to get back to the NEW normal.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1nii6d3c said:
I get the feeling it's going to be a pain management thing. Just my opinion/guess.

Might be like that til next season, I really think he aggravated the hip in the MIN game. That being said, thank god we have the QB we do and a guy as consistent as Baldwin and a guy who has a very special skillset in Tate. The abscence of Harvin didn't hurt us.

Crabhawk

Reaction score
Some one brought it up in the locked thread and it hit home with me - we don't want to RGIII Percy and rush him back (or let him rush himself back). It's a balancing act that is hard to get right. Ultimately I would rather err on the side of caution than Shanahanning him his first year. Really hopeful he can contribute during the playoffs!

OP
OP
N

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
FLhawkfan":1kuhyevk said:
As a longtime Hawk fan and a Gator alum, I can't wait to see him playing again.

Word brother!

EverydayImRusselin":1kuhyevk said:
I feel like this will be just the ticket. The defense has been playing lights out for the last month or so and the offense has been stalling. Percy will open up all kinds of running room for Lynch. In addition I'd assume Bevell will start incorporating more screens and other quick passes to help against the inevitable blitzing teams will bring. I thought a Superbowl win was in the works all season, but the last month or so the offense has had me starting to question myself and now Harvin is here to save the day.

Really cool post, and yea I hope getting Harvin back makes it really obvious to Bevell that screens are a necessity especially with such explosive speed.

chris98251":1kuhyevk said:
If he can play 10 meaningful snaps a game it could make a difference. I am not expecting anything, the story said try to practice, it also means recovery from stress of practice and hope to go forward. This is one step at a time again with a possible setback at every turn and cut he makes till that hip begins to function normally with it's new motion range and muscle reaction.

Chris makes a good point. As excited as we all are for Harvin to play and hope that he will. (fingers crossed) Pete simply said he's going to practice, hoping to play. Much like the first time he did this, we have to wait and see how Percy recovers. Hopefully the time off has allowed that hip to fully heal, and yea I've heard a lot about that being a type of surgery that can take years to recover from.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
chris98251":2l1pj541 said:
I can live with 10-15 plays a game given he totally tilts the field by just running down the seam.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks coaches would like him to be healthy enough to play the whole game.

I think we would have already seen him playing if they only wanted him out there for 10-15 snaps.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I agree that there was no hidden agenda from Pete and that it has been (and will continue to be) a pain management thing. Pete said this morning that Percy's struggle was "personal," not physical. I think it was do or die time for him with the team mulling the variety of options it has regarding the roster, and it was probably determined that he had to practice this week if he was going to play at all. He's decided to give it a go now, and I think he can help. At the very least, he'll give our return game a boost.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3uqcpmyp said:
I think the Seahawks coaches would like him to be healthy enough to play the whole game.

I think we would have already seen him playing if they only wanted him out there for 10-15 snaps.

I agree with the staffs desire, but I would refer to the T.O. game, he played limited snaps but when he played he made an impact. If he can pull double coverage and or break open for a meaningful gain or create a hole for Tate and or say Lockette down the seam he would have made a difference. Thats all it takes to break a game open many times, they will have to account for his ability.

Also, he may not return kicks, we have Baldwin and Turbin , yes I said it lol. Pete was hesitant the first game using him there, he may be so again thinking taking it at the twenty with Harvin in the game versus a re injury hoping for a big return. Plus if I'm the opposition I kick away from Harvin anyway.

hawk45

Reaction score
I am sure holding my breath about that Thursday practice. We know from the way this has gone that any pain or soreness we hear about might mean he's fine and he'll be back to practice in a few days, or it might mean he doesn't practice for much longer.

But I can't help but be encouraged. IR certainly meant no Percy at all and I was really disappointed about that. To go from that to him practicing and thus being available for one or more of our post season games is a nice change.

I would be perfectly happy if they just suited him up in case we got into trouble at home, and then unleashed him for the entire SB should we make it. That's the way I hope we use him, actually, unless his hip just feels so great that he's now practicing every day and can go every snap of the post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.