Seahawks can now begin contract talk with 2011 draft class

AgentDib

Reaction score
NFL League Calendar":6kcsn47i said:
12/30/13: Earliest permissible date for clubs to renegotiate or extend the rookie contract of a drafted rookie who was selected in any round of the 2011 NFL Draft. Any permissible renegotiated or extended player contract will not be considered a rookie contract, and will not be subject to the rules that limit rookie contracts.

James Carpenter
2014: $1.4m base, $2.4m cap hit

KJ Wright
2014: $645k base, $766k cap hit

Richard Sherman
2014: $645k base, $690k cap hit

Byron Maxwell
2014: $645k base, $670k cap hit

Malcolm Smith
2014: $645k base, $655k cap hit

Wright, Sherman, Maxwell and Smith all look like great candidates for extensions.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Oof. Smart play is to pay K.J., Sherman, Byron, and Smitty now, IMO. We'll have to free up some serious cap money to get that done, though.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Im with you but I also believe it's wishful thinking. Were going to lose some people that we really like. It's just the economics of the NFL.
I have faith that our depth and JS skills will keep us stocked with bad-asses.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I have a feeling he'll be the one. I absolutely love Sherman but out of all the players coming up on a contract, who's going to command the most?
#25 is going to get Crazy $ probably the most ever for a cb, the way the Seahawks plug replacement cbs in is uncanny. We lose 2 of our three starting
corners and never miss a beat. Now I know Sherman is special but #3 is going to get paid 1st.

Hell, I don't know I could be wrong. Thoughts?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":389qjuar said:
Oof. Smart play is to pay K.J., Sherman, Byron, and Smitty now, IMO. We'll have to free up some serious cap money to get that done, though.

Combined those 4 make $2.5m. I don't think any of them will be making less than that in their next contract. Ouch.

McGruff

Reaction score
Re-sign Sherman to the leagues largest and longest DB contract now.

I don't see them Making a big play for either Wright or Smith. They'll let them hit the market and see where the value is.

Maxwell is the wildcard IMO. With III and BB both free agents this year, and Maxwell performing at a high level, it makes sense to work something out, but I also suspect they believe in their ability to find talent at that position in the draft! and they've got Lane and Simon waiting in the wings.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":19rp41p9 said:

Unfortunately I think most of the cap space that needs to be freed up to sign these players is going to come at the expense of the D-Line, and Rice.

3-4 of these players won't be back next year.

- Clemons
- Avril
- Bennett
- Bryant
- Miller
- Breno
- McQuistan

To compound this, guys like McDonald and McDaniels have had GREAT years, and will want more money next year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sherman isn't going anywhere IMO. I think that deal gets done after the playoffs.

5280Hawk

Reaction score
agreed,

Even though we know that PC&JS can find the Talent, and plug in new guys. They have to know that they got lucky with Sherm. They know he needs to stay here for years to come. Make it Happen!

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
That list and next seasons list is pretty brutal.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Wizard Schneider found a way to retain anyone he conjures up a contract for. Even if Seattle does lose a few players, expect JS (and Pete) to find suitable replacements in the off season, track record has been pretty good.

Pastor jet

I believe!

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I really HATE the salary cap. Especially when we have a filthy rich owner that we sure could have used before the damn cap came along. Crap, this sucks.....

Spiderdan

Reaction score
I don't see us as getting a long term extension on Sherm just yet. I think JS will wait until we can get a long term deal with Wilson done.

SeahawksMSHing

Reaction score
We can keep all of them for those Salaries next year and potentially lose some of them to free agency. I would suspect that other than Sherman that is what going to happen, as I see us signing Earl Thomas as first priority, maybe okung then Sherm let the others play another year at lower cost gives us this off-season to find replacements and flexibility for DangeRuss. I think Tate gets paid as well...

Bottom Line this is the year to win the Superbowl and then worry about what the team looks like next year after Feb 2nd :)

kearly

Reaction score
KJ Wright, Richard Sherman, Byron Maxwell, Malcolm Smith. (Plus Jeron Johnson and Doug Baldwin in UDFA)

Those four guys above who were drafted, none of those guys were great prospects. Wright was too stiff, Sherman and Maxwell profiled as special teamers in the NFL, Malcolm Smith was actually pretty good but very undersized with a disorder that prevented him from bulking up.

Is there another coach in the NFL who is half as valuable as Pete Carroll in terms of player development? I seriously doubt it.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
IMO I doubt these guys wanna go play anywhere else very badly. I'm not saying we get a 'home town discount' but there are ways to set up a contract that is friendly to the franchise and puts money in the player's pockets at the same time.

Rice probably won't be back. Miller may renegotiate. We could throw a huge chunk of a guaranteed contract at Sherman next season and then make it very favorable to us the rest of the way via front-loading it heavily so that b y the time we have to pay Wilson it's not a big cap it.

We must find a way to keep Thomas and Sherman, if we want to continue to be a top defense.

Latest posts