Browner Should Not Start Upon Return

seahawksny

Reaction score
Our record the last two years without him is 6-1.
Maxwell in his absence has tgree picks un last two games. When he returned last year we were sluggish in first half vs washington and then again vs atlanta. Its not solely his play, but the team seems to play with a lot more emotion with guys like maxwell, Thurmond and lane. They have done a fine job in his absence. Just seems like to me they are better in man to man coverage.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I agree that Browner should not start. Maxwell has outplayed him this year and deserves to keep the job, IMO.

Seafan

Reaction score
I imagine there's a good chance BB doesn't return. If he does it's all gravy. I've already said this same thing a couple times and I've maintained that BMax is one of the best man cover DBs on the team. Remember that he was ahead of Sherman on the depth chart a couple years ago. His problem was his tight hams and he has seemed to resolve it. I love BBs run defense and overall toughness but wouldn't be surprised if PC were to go with the hot corner. BMax is confident and so is the defense with him. Lane is looking really sweet out there too but so was Walter. It's a great problem to have.

plyka

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":oxzhb4b4 said:
The NFL headquarters may make this a "mute point"!

Mute, Moot, whatever...

Whomever is the better player should start. It doesn't matter to me that Browner lost his position due to injury, if he loses it, or Maxwell has some picks lately. The better player should start. The question of who is the better player, on the other hand, is tough. I seriously don't know. I think Browner is better in general, but Maxwell may have the edge due to coverage. Of course Thurmond may be the best cover guy of them all.

Such a tough call. I think Pete should do the smart thing which is rotate them and see which one is the most effective and stick with that player. Or play them depending on situation. They are so close, it may be the best decision. In my opinion Thurmond is the best, because he is the best cover guy.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
plyka":ol4ukkf1 said:
Bigpumpkin":ol4ukkf1 said:
The NFL headquarters may make this a "mute point"!

Mute, Moot, whatever...

Whomever is the better player should start. It doesn't matter to me that Browner lost his position due to injury, if he loses it, or Maxwell has some picks lately. The better player should start. The question of who is the better player, on the other hand, is tough. I seriously don't know. I think Browner is better in general, but Maxwell may have the edge due to coverage. Of course Thurmond may be the best cover guy of them all.

Such a tough call. I think Pete should do the smart thing which is rotate them and see which one is the most effective and stick with that player. Or play them depending on situation. They are so close, it may be the best decision. In my opinion Thurmond is the best, because he is the best cover guy.
Yeah, I have to agree with you on the "Rotation" idea.
I'm thinking that if Browner had been there last week, the Whiners wouldn't have had the balls to try and use Receivers to attempt taking Earl Thomas out of several plays, because they would have had to keep a wary eye out for Browner.
Sometimes that intimidation goes a long ways in the Legion Of Boom.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Donn2390":1b00arke said:
No one should ever lose their starting job to an injury...

You're right, Matt Flynn should have stayed the starter.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
We have excellent depth with a rotation. It doesn't matter who starts. We have 5 CB's who could start on any team in this league, they're all worthy of the Pro Bowl, and one who's in the process of redefining the position a la Deion Sanders. Whether Browner, Thurm, Max or Lane get the start I have the confidence that we will compete at the highest level.

Hop_Head

Reaction score
All the corners are studs. ALL OF THEM! You can't say that B.B. hasn't made numerous strips and picks with man strength against boys. I say we keep him for a couple more years. We'll be able to keep him for cheap because he's a screw up. Alternate him and Maxi on the outside and let Lane come in and be the nickel ALWAYS! Lane is very very very good in the extra DB package. Thurmond, if he were to stay healthy and lay off the pipe, I feel could probably be not as good, but right up there with Sherm for shutdown corner skills. I say send him on his way. Let him get some money with some other team. I bet he misses 4 to 6 weeks a year average for the remainder of his career, most of that coming in the last part of the season, playoffs.

Largent80

Reaction score
Browners uncle goes to the Backstage in Culver City. I spent a bunch of time talking to him and he said he thought he has a good shot of playing this week, and that they think the NFL will drop the suspension.

themunn

Reaction score
If Browner could return next week or the week after I'd say "OK, bring him back for the playoffs", but it's difficult to remove a guy who has been playing well for a guy with a bit of rust coming back.

For all those saying you should never lose your starting job to injury - how do you think Sherman got in there? He got in due to injury and outplayed the starter. I don't quite think Maxwell is playing better than Browner's best yet, but when Browner comes back it's unlikely he'll BE at his best.

Furthermore, for all those saying we looked sluggish when Browner came back - the TEAM looked sluggish, Browner looked fine - remember that was a PED suspension, not an injury, so it's not like he wasn't able to keep in tip top condition, if anything he was probably better conditioned than the rest of the team as he was able to rest up for a few weeks and lose any niggling injuries

Scottemojo

Reaction score
At the risk of appealing to authority...

This is Pete's call and I trust him. If he thinks the match up favors Browner, start him.

Just think back to all the times you thought Pete might have chosen a starter wrong. Hasselbeck vs the Saints. B.b.b.but Charlie just won a game and Hass has been stinking???

Starting a rookie over Flynn? Is Pete daft?

Last year, when Browner got back from suspension, there was some rust his first couple of quarters, and we won four games without him. But he straight up dominated the 2nd half vs the Skins, and was good at the Falcons too.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yea, if Browner comes back, I see Pete playing Maxwell the 1st half and rotating Browner in the 2nd half.

I can also see Browner playing the entire 2nd half of the Rams game.

If we can keep Maxwell, Lane and hopefully Thurmond (this suspension should lower his market value...the 3rd strike is a year and not a lot of teams have the depth we do to weather that), I see nothing wrong with bringing Browner back for a 2 year contract and letting the guys slug it out in TC.

Browner is currently the best CB in the league vs. the run and also is damned good against the screen pass. Anyone remember the stat the threw out there before the Saints game, about us being the best against the screen pass in the NFL ? BB is a big part of that.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
OVERREACTION MONDAY ?

LOL

I for one want Browner back , and in the starting line up. He is a freaking BALLER man. I know others feel the same , even though we may be out numbered.