Browner Should Not Start Upon Return

hawker84

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1q144j4l said:
At the risk of appealing to authority...

This is Pete's call and I trust him. If he thinks the match up favors Browner, start him.

Just think back to all the times you thought Pete might have chosen a starter wrong. Hasselbeck vs the Saints. B.b.b.but Charlie just won a game and Hass has been stinking???

Starting a rookie over Flynn? Is Pete daft?

Last year, when Browner got back from suspension, there was some rust his first couple of quarters, and we won four games without him. But he straight up dominated the 2nd half vs the Skins, and was good at the Falcons too.

This... The coaching staff will hopefully look at the matchups and put the best guy out there. I'm ok with either one of them being out there, but i do worry that Browner will not be 100%, groin tears are nasty..
I just want to see Thurmond back even though lane played a great game, could really care less about Browner at this point

formido

Reaction score
Hawks46":11s80dx1 said:
Yea, if Browner comes back, I see Pete playing Maxwell the 1st half and rotating Browner in the 2nd half.

I can also see Browner playing the entire 2nd half of the Rams game.

If we can keep Maxwell, Lane and hopefully Thurmond (this suspension should lower his market value...the 3rd strike is a year and not a lot of teams have the depth we do to weather that), I see nothing wrong with bringing Browner back for a 2 year contract and letting the guys slug it out in TC.

Browner is currently the best CB in the league vs. the run and also is damned good against the screen pass. Anyone remember the stat the threw out there before the Saints game, about us being the best against the screen pass in the NFL ? BB is a big part of that.

Seconded. Screen passes are a sneaky way that great passing teams increase the value of their passing game. It's a hidden strength of this team that the staff knows this and gears the team to shut it down. We got gashed by 2 or 3 screens yesterday that we normally shut down. I like Browner in for reducing those cheap yards opportunities. I hope KJ returns sooner than later, too.

drdiags

Reaction score
I doubt Browner would return and start right away anyway but he definitely needs to be in the rotation with a chance to eventually return to starter status. I would love to see Browner vs Boldin. I am not sure Boldin makes the statement about "Fake tough guys" in regards to Browner, who has the same type of edge to him that Boldin does.

Maxwell and Lane are fine but Browner and Thurmond are pretty good. What a nice problem to have if everything works out. I do think Browner is gone after the season but he deserves to be a big part of what ever this run is that's coming up.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SonicHawk":25ux5k0b said:
Donn2390":25ux5k0b said:
No one should ever lose their starting job to an injury...

You're right, Matt Flynn should have stayed the starter.

Matt Flynn was never "THE starter". We had a competition for the job and Wilson won that competition.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Largent80":1ccd84so said:
Browners uncle goes to the Backstage in Culver City. I spent a bunch of time talking to him and he said he thought he has a good shot of playing this week, and that they think the NFL will drop the suspension.
Thanks for the info man. Good news. More depth at all positions on the team is a good thing.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Should be a matchup decision in my opinion. Maxwell and Browner = two different skill sets good vs. different kinds of opponents.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2riakxrz said:
I agree that Browner should not start. Maxwell has outplayed him this year and deserves to keep the job, IMO.

I've always loved Browner but I have to give it to Maxwell he has played fantastic in Browners absence and well whichever players gives the Hawks the best chance to win should start. I think right now thats Maxwell as I don't think we've seen a defensive effort like we saw against the Giants this year.

I also think Lane played a fabulous game.

Credit to our teams depth it really can't be over emphasized.

That was the type of game that could win a super bowl solely on defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't think it's going to matter.

Browner's return from injury looks like it's going to coincide with the league's decision on his suspension appeal, which is suppose to resolved by the end of the month. Unless he wins, then make sure to step outside and listen to our south, because the epic screaming and yelling coming from the greater Bay Area will be heard from miles around.

ndnchapathi69

Reaction score
Browner will come in handy very much when we play physical receivers like boldin or brandon marshall. Dont doubt him yet.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The bottom line with Browner is even if he wins his appeal and comes back, he totally screwed himself in regards to getting a big pay day. At least here he did.

All three players, Lane, Maxwell and Thurmond have now proven they can play his spot with ZERO drop off. In fact in the case of Thurmond and Maxwell, I'd say they're both even faster and more athletic than Browner is at DB (and younger).

The Radish

Reaction score
seahawksny":3tfubnxi said:
Our record the last two years without him is 6-1.
Maxwell in his absence has tgree picks un last two games. When he returned last year we were sluggish in first half vs washington and then again vs atlanta. Its not solely his play, but the team seems to play with a lot more emotion with guys like maxwell, Thurmond and lane. They have done a fine job in his absence. Just seems like to me they are better in man to man coverage.

Oh please

:roll:

SonomaHawk

Reaction score
Should be a matchup decision in my opinion. Maxwell and Browner = two different skill sets good vs. different kinds of opponents.

Exactly. I'd start Maxwell or WT3 against the likes of Detroit, GB, New Orleans, etc. and BB against the run-first teams like Carolina, SF.

Latest posts