Seahawks can clinch 2nd seed (or higher) with win over SF

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Seattle will secure a bye week in the playoffs and at least one home game with a victory over the rival 49ers. I don't know how anyone could predict an emotional let down game given the rivalry aspect plus what can be won this weekend.

jblaze

Reaction score
They're saying all the right things and they look pretty loose at press conferences. 49'ers are buying into the rivalry and hate speech while we're taking it as just another game and that will keep us in our game while they'll likely be taken out of theirs.

Polaris

Reaction score
Just to be clear, Seattle has a magic number of two (vs 49ners) to win the division [Cards and Rams are eliminated from the division race], and a magic number of two (vs NO/Carolina) for HFA.

Since Seattle plays the Niners this weekend, Seattle can win the division outright this weekend. Because that would make Seattle's record a minimum of 12-4, only the NFCS Champ could exceed it (either NO or Carolina) insuring the first round bye as well.

Seattle has the tie-break against both NO and Carolina, and if both teams could lose this weekend, Seattle could get HFA as well. Unfortunately NO and Carolina play each other this weekend which means one will almost certainly lose but one will almost certainly win (and both can't lose). That prevents HFA from being clinchable this weekend.

So.......

If Seattle wins (or ties) vs San Fran this weekend, Seattle clinches a first round bye and the NFCW Crown.

Assuming Seattle wins in Week 14 (which I think we will), Seattle clinches HFA in week 15 with either:

1. A Win or Tie

OR

2. A Loss by the winner of NO/Carolina from Week 14.

Laloosh

Reaction score
pocketprotector":1iu1jlqw said:
Seattle will secure a bye week in the playoffs and at least one home game with a victory over the rival 49ers. I don't know how anyone could predict an emotional let down game given the rivalry aspect plus what can be won this weekend.

Having watched ET's interview after the MNF game, there is zero doubt in my mind that this team is going to be on point.

Polaris

Reaction score
mikeak":19iwp3am said:
What if Carolina and the Saints tie?....

No joy. If the two tie, then either team could finish 12-3-1 which is better than 12-4 so Seattle would still not clinch HFA even with a San Fran win.