Harvin or Thurmond III?

heffmanhere

Reaction score
There are a dozen or more ways to look at a game, so with that in mind, does the recent addition of Harvin outweigh the loss of WT3 in the upcoming game with the Saints or no?

Put another way, if you were given the choice in next week's game with New Orleans, who would you want in the line up if you could only pick one---Harvin or Thurmond?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Yea...I think I'll take arguably the most dynamic and explosive player in the NFL over a backup CB

jblaze

Reaction score
How is this even a question? Harvin by a mile. That guy changes the entire game and can affect a game's outcome like no other. Kick returns, punt returns, runs, passes, decoy's, blocking, etc.

WT3, if he were to play, might be in on 5-12 plays a game. He had a pick six last week but that's few and far between for CB's. Harvin will average at least 1 TD a game.

OP
OP
H

heffmanhere

Reaction score
This was precisely my point....

Hopefully this logic will allow us to move forward on the WT3 nonsense and negativity that was spreading like wildfire...

Losing WT3 for 4 games obviously doesn't help the team but it's hardly some crushing blow either...

CANHawk

Reaction score
heffmanhere":zb91ltwl said:

Hopefully this logic will allow us to move forward on the WT3 nonsense and negativity that was spreading like wildfire...

Losing WT3 for 4 games obviously doesn't help the team but it's hardly some crushing blow either...

So wise... must be a Canadian thing.

nepahawk

Reaction score
heffmanhere":1gq8f5j3 said:

WT3 is a backup corner, so losing him doesn't seem to be a big loss. However, now you have your third choice starting, which isn't ideal.

We ended last year minus Browner and Thurmond, winning the last 4 games. So, I think we should be okay.

Here's hoping Brees doesn't exploit this situation!

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I just hope they announce the starting offenses and not the starting defenses!!!

Haha.

I think this game will be a shoot out.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Even more than that the way I am looking at it as well. It is Harvin + Okung + Giaco + Unger - T3 = I will take that trade any day.
That is like trading a mortal CB for the "4 horsemen of the apocalypse."

jblaze

Reaction score
heffmanhere":2wq1hlev said:

They're not mutually exclusive, we COULD of had both of them...

It's just bad timing, BB went down and WT3 got his chance to show his stuff and he was doing very well, then bang, lost opportunity. I was really pulling for the guy, he got his chance to shine and get paid, I think he's got major skills and in some ways he's better than BB.

You can kind of understand the PED thing, trying to get a competitive advantage, etc but pot (or painkillers or whatever it is) is just stupid AFTER you've been busted for it once and will get tested over and over again. All of our other suspensions have been for PED's, this is just dumb recreational garbage with absolutely no upside other than a selfish buzz.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I don't have an answer, but I think it's an interesting question. Will Harvin's gain on offense more than offset Thurmonds loss on defense vs the Saints? That's Drew Brees and we need to shut him down. Losing Thurmond hurts that because they've got so many weapons to throw to and who will be the third DB? Some guy from the practice squad gonna shut down Sproles? Really? Is Harvin gonna make such a difference on offense that it won't matter on defense?

Who knows? Really. Harvin is more exciting but we went 10-1 without him. Losing Thurmond wouldn't be a big deal except we lost Browner too. So this weakens our greatest strength right when we're facing a very good offense.

I think Lynch will make the biggest difference, then the 12th man. We'll win anyways, but it will be interesting to see how big an impact Harvin makes and how big an impact not having Thurmond makes.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Thurmond is a damn good player, but (and you know this) we're talking apples and tequila here. Yes, that extreme. The loss of WT will definitely effect our D, but nothing compared to the effect Harvin will have on the Saints O AND D. The presence of Harvin changes everything for an ooponent. The Saints want to pass (it's what they do), especially without BB and WT in the line up, but they are undoubtedly smart enough to understand they need to keep Harvin (etc) off the field. IF they can run, that would be a good idea. While Brees loves those "long handoffs", he won't want to go to the well with that too many times with Sherm and Earl roving around, either.

Harvin, when healthy / stable, isn't just a playmaker, he's a play callers worst nitemare. That nitemare effects both sides of the ball. I'm not anticipating an overly difficult time with the Saints next Monday night. But you can if you want to. ; )

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
heffmanhere":2v940jpn said:
There are a dozen or more ways to look at a game, so with that in mind, does the recent addition of Harvin outweigh the loss of WT3 in the upcoming game with the Saints or no?

Put another way, if you were given the choice in next week's game with New Orleans, who would you want in the line up if you could only pick one---Harvin or Thurmond?
Harvin no question it's the reason I'm not worried about Thurmond or the Browner suspension.

Axx

Reaction score
the defense carried for the first 10 games of the season.
It's time for offense to breakout and carry the slightly weaker defense.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jblaze":3ooh4gj3 said:
How is this even a question? Harvin by a mile. That guy changes the entire game and can affect a game's outcome like no other. Kick returns, punt returns, runs, passes, decoy's, blocking, etc.

WT3, if he were to play, might be in on 5-12 plays a game. He had a pick six last week but that's few and far between for CB's. Harvin will average at least 1 TD a game.

What ? Were you the one that got Browner busted for smoking something ?

Walter Thurmond started for us. He moved inside to the slot when a team went 3 WR on us. Meaning he was in on virtually every defensive play. He's also the only CB currently on the roster that can play the slot really well (in retrospect, with his injury history, that's not the best move by Pete and John).

For this game ? Honestly I'd rather have Thurmond. The Saints have some serious weapons and we could've neutralized them. We're a run first team where we might throw to Harvin 10 times a game, maximum. If he starts getting 15 targets, it's because we're playing from behind and by more than one score.

Moving forward ? I'd take Harvin in a second. I'm not worried about anyone else's weapons other than the Giants. Cruz is going to wipe out any slot CB we put on him. And maybe Tavon Austin, as he's finally getting some impact for the Rams. Well, then the Cardinals' offense is starrting to click.

F**k it, we're screwed.

Seriously, Harvin over Thurmond for every game but the Saints.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Obviously we would be better served to open up the offense accepting the fact we will likely be scored on more. So basically instead of having a 24-20 mindset shifting to a 30-27 mindset at least until Thurmond is back.